Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 4 Prius Headlight Switch

PeteB

Does anyone with a UK Gen 4 Prius have the type A light switch with the Off position as well as Auto/Side/Head please?

Or can any of our Toyota friends find a part number for it please?

My dealer is struggling to find any reference to it, apart from the page in the manual:

Thanks

Copy of PRIUS_OM_Europe_OM47A31E Page 276 Headlight Switch TYPE A.jpg

Don't think it would be legal in the UK/EU as it provides manual control over the daytime running lights, which in the UK/EU are supposed to be on when the engine is running/handbrake off.

According to the manual the Type A Off position still causes the DRLs to come on when in READY with Park brake off, it just prevents the car from automatically switching the headlights on and off, which they do alarmingly frequently when not necessary (even with the sensitivity on minimum).

This is exactly the type of switch used on Gen 3 Prius with auto lights (and DRLs), and on Lexus cars I've driven with auto lights.  Why they didn't allow manual choice in the Gen 4 is baffling.

• Like 1

The answer will be no as all UK spec cars share the same switch. Your dealer is struggling as there are nearly 24 variations of the light switch 12 of which are RHD 8 with Light switch on the Right of the steering column but none match the same spec as the UK switch and as the part would be non-standard on a UK car Toyota will not assist in advising if an alternative switch will fit leaving it down to good old guess work and bearing in mind the alternative switches wont be available as UK stock there is every chance that if ordered and unsuitable Toyota will not accept the parts being returned.

Well that's bad news, I'm appalled there's no way of disabling it.  Even a menu option would be better than nothing.

Whilst I love almost everything about the Gen 4, that and the tiny single glove box are my biggest hates.

As someone else has said, apart from the risk of fooling people into thinking I'm stopping for them when I'm not, it's a pain to be parked with either ignition on or full READY mode and have lights on when it's at least slightly dark.  The extra drain makes being parked with ignition on (not READY) even more likely to flatten the 12v Battery quickly.

Could you not just turn the switch to the sidelight setting in those kind of situations, then the headlamps would be off. Not ideal I know, but kind of a work around?

I don't know if doing that turns off the DRL's as I don't have my car yet. 

• Like 1

Yes, it does turn off the DRLs, and in good light the side lights are barely visible (same for the rear lights too, but they both show up great in low light/darkness).  If I took that route I'd turn dipped headlights on.

I try to remember to do that when going through places when I know the auto lights go on and off, but it's counter-intuitive when I know they don't need to be on at all, and then I have to remember to turn them off later.  If I leave it parked with the sidelights on (and don't hear the bleep) then I may come back to a flat Battery.

Before I had DRLs I had dipped lights on all the time ever since I saw the stunningly convincing figures of the result of countries like Sweden that made daytime lights compulsory for all cars in the 1970s!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following on from Pete's post regarding headlights.

I notice that the Gen 4 has auto opening and closing door mirrors. Is it possible to select the mirrors to remain closed with the engine running? I need to have the mirrors closed to get the Prius into my garage. On my current Gen 3 I select the mirrors to close and drive into the garage. Unless I can do this on the Gen 4 it looks like the purchase of a new Gen 4 is a problem for me. Help please.

Not a problem - there's a switch on the window control panel with options open/auto/closed.

Thank you Pete.

Spent  about three hours at the dealers today. Went in with your spec Pete. I wanted to try and purchase a Gen 4 before April 1st. The dealer said he could not guarantee to get an Excel with that spec in time. They had a new metallic silver business class that had just come in. It had all the same safety features as the Excel and 15 inch wheels and spare wheel with tools.It had no sat nav so I am getting a touch and go plus Sat Nav fitted. (This has 3 years free updates.) The wing mirror operation is the same as on our Gen 3. I mentioned the auto headlight problem you have Pete. The salesman assured me the light operation is the same as our Gen 3. Also the centre consul is black not white.  I am getting side mouldings and carpets. Delivery is on 1st March. Had to haggle to get a deal.

23 minutes ago, Chris Dance said:

It had no sat nav so I am getting a touch and go plus Sat Nav fitted. (This has 3 years free updates.) 

afaik all Touch2 & Go now gets 3 years of free updates from new not just Plus.

5 hours ago, Chris Dance said:

...The wing mirror operation is the same as on our Gen 3.

...The salesman assured me the light operation is the same as our Gen 3...

I think you'll find the door mirror is better than Gen 3 - full manual open or closed, but leave the switch in the middle, they open when you unlock the car, close when you lock it.

Re auto headlights, I'm guessing you have the tech pack?  If so, they work the same way except there is no off position on the stalk light switch.  It is only the lack of an off position that I object to (Gen 4 has type B [above], Gen 3 type A).

That means if the light switch is not on the side light or headlight position, it is on AUTO - if it's slightly dark the lights will come on when in ignition or READY, so you can't park with the ignition on in the dusk/dark without lights on (you can switch to sidelights, but you can't have no lights).  Also, going under overhanging trees or between dark buildings will make the lights come on and off at will (often in perfect visibility), and the only way of preventing that is to stay with side or headlights switched on manually - which is a bind.

• Like 1

BTW - the mirror control switch on the Gen 4 is a big improvement too - it's a chunky round knob near the front of the window switch panel on the driver's armrest.  

Drop the right hand from the steering wheel, and it's easy to find without looking (but it is illuminated if you do want to look).  Twist left to work left mirror, centre for off, right for right mirror.  Push left, right, forward or back to move the selected mirror.  Again easy to use without looking.

• 5 years later...

this type B light switch is a pain. I camp a lot in my gen 4 Prius, and would love to leave air con on all night, but that means car in ready mode, and having park light on.

The latest thing I have tried is to fool the sensor. If you put cardboard over the sensor during the day, the auto light function kicks in. so the opposite , I hoped would be true, so I built a little hut from cardboard over the sensor (located middle of the dash) and filled it with light (led torch) to see if the sensor thought it was now day time, and turn all the lights off. no joy with this yet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links