Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake and rear light issue

brainii

Hi all,

so I noticed that both my rear right brake and rear right light would not turn on. I remove both bulbs, test with a multimeter on Ohm beep, sure enough the light bulb is faulty but the other is not.

I replaced the light bulb with a new one, that problem solved.

The brake bulb still won't turn on though.

Btw, I have checked all fuses both under the bonnet and under the passenger side and they are all working.

Things I will try next:

1) replace the bulb with the one from the left side (which i know is working)

2) check connector for rust (even though it looked brand new on the outside)

3) check connector for continuity, now for this I'm not sure, do I turn multimeter to ohm, then touch the middle of the connector and then some grounded surface???

4) check connector for voltage? For this also I'm not sure, do I have someone press the brake pedal and check middle of connector and side on DC setting?

any other suggestion/idea?

many thanks

14 hours ago, brainii said:

any other suggestion/idea?

I'm not familiar with your particular car but usually the brake light switch sits above the brake pedal.  Check that yours is in alignment and operates when you press the pedal.

Can't say for sure, but the usual culprit in these situations is a failed earth from the rear lamp unit, usually because of rust. A quick jump lead to earth will generally prove it. While you're at it, check whether your tail lights dim on one or both sides when the brake light or the indicator are on?

• Like 1

hi thanks for the replies. The brake switch should be fine as the middle and left brake lights work fine.

3 hours ago, Countrylad said:

Can't say for sure, but the usual culprit in these situations is a failed earth from the rear lamp unit, usually because of rust. A quick jump lead to earth will generally prove it. While you're at it, check whether your tail lights dim on one or both sides when the brake light or the indicator are on?

How do I check for failed earth? assuming there is no rust. sorry but I'm new in multimeter use..

I will also check for dimming

21 hours ago, brainii said:

3) check connector for continuity, now for this I'm not sure, do I turn multimeter to ohm, then touch the middle of the connector and then some grounded surface???

4) check connector for voltage? For this also I'm not sure, do I have someone press the brake pedal and check middle of connector and side on DC setting?

yes have someone press the brake pedal down then using the DC voltage scale have the red probe to the centre contact

and put the black probe to the body work you should then have a voltage reading of around 12.8v (12v = good)

you can then using the beep continuity setting go to the side contact and then to the car bodywork you should hear a beep (checking for an earth connection beep is good)

if you dont see 12v at the bulb holder make sure you are getting power to the brake switch, at the top of the brake pedal you should have 12v reading there ,put the red probe to one wire the black probe to the body and check for voltage,then move the red probe to the other wire on the switch press the brake pedal and again you should have a 12v reading if not try cleaning the switch or replace the switch

• Like 1

very informative.

I'll try these and post back!

thanks

well, I sure feel like a complete tard..

For whatever reason, the first time I opened the assembly, I failed to notice on the rear light assembly that besides the container with the 3 sockets/bulbs, there is another single bulb in it's own socket/container (the 3 bulbs are: reverse/fog, indicator, and rear lights, the single one is the rear brake light and the last one was just another burned bulb, replaced and fine now.

So I had 2 burned, the rear light and the rear brake light, both on the RHS assembly, I guess they could have been there for a long time and I simply did not notice. So, problem solved, Toyota electrics still good (even though bulb's are not the highest quality.)

15 minutes ago, brainii said:

Toyota electrics still good (even though bulb's are not the highest quality.)

So who is to say the bulbs haven't already been replaced by a previous owner.

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So who is to say the bulbs haven't already been replaced by a previous owner.

me, as I bought the car new.

Well if the car is a 2007 model as per your profile, 6-7 year life for bulbs isn't bad.