Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Range once low fuel light comes on and normal range on one tank of fuel

Killian Lobato

Dear all,

I've just purchased this car. The fuel capacity is 55 litres (12 gallons imperial). The fuel consumption gage in the centre radio console reads consumption between 5.0 and 5.5 litre/100km (55 to 50 mpg). With this in mind I should be managing about 1000 km (600 miles) on a tank one complete tank. However, the first time I went from topped up to when the light came on I managed 650 km (400 miles). To top up the tank only took in 40 litres, meaning I still had 15 litres left in the tank. I found that odd, as with another toyota I have (2011 Verso-S 1.4 D-4D) when the light comes on it means I have about 5 litres left of fuel. Also, the other odd thing was the actually fuel consumption was higher than that stated by the on board computer, computer read 5.3 litres/100km (53 mpg) whilst the actually consumption is 6.1 litres/100km (46 mpg). Is it normal for the onboard computer to be so far off? In my 2011 verso-s the real consumption and what the computer tells me are essentially identical. In fact with that car I manage between 4.8 and 5.2 litres/100km, meaning 35 litres is good for around 700km. It is a newer car and much light car too.

The gauge on the radio can be quiet a way off the actual consumption, though sometimes it can be close ??  , the best way is to fill to the top each time and work the consumption out that way.

How much in reserve, down to the particular sensor in the tank, better to have more than less, mine seems to be about 10 lts

Firstly - profile edited to include 2004 Corolla 2.0D4D

Secondly - it seems that with some of the European built Toyotas, the low fuel light is designed to come on before you hit the reserve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Killian Lobato said:

Also, the other odd thing was the actually fuel consumption was higher than that stated by the on board computer, computer read 5.3 litres/100km (53 mpg) whilst the actually consumption is 6.1 litres/100km (46 mpg). Is it normal for the onboard computer to be so far off? 

On old cars it is not unusual.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the replies - been away for a long time. Can the reading be corrected?

To change the radio/lcd mpg values, doubt it.

To change the dashboard fuel gauge readings, a different fuel tank sensor might make a difference.

If you now know what your gauges readings actually mean in terms of fuel left, then I would live with it, a lot of work and money just to move a needle a few mm.

Why are people obsessed about the range and whats left in when the warning light comes on?

Use the fuel, when it gets low, fill it up, job done, no worries any more :thumbsup: