Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 2.0 Business Edition o dear o dear

revband

In November I bought a Business Edition 2.0 with the BMW engine, to date nothing but problems, front sensor/camera system fault, touch 2 with go fault, bad noise and vibration through the car at and around idle.

I took the car to the dealer last week to have the front camera system modification and the touch 2 system updated 40 mins to 1 1/2 hours they said, as the dealer is around a 100 miles round trip they said I could wait, six hours later, "your car is ready Mr C", great at last I thought, the camera system is now working, the Touch 2 system, no better, Ah sorry we forgot to do that we need to order a card from Toyota to do that it will be next week now, OK can you also check out this vibration noise?, it is the front wheel arch liner vibrating against the bodywork, the air filter box vibrating on the inlet extension and the gear linkages vibrating though the lever, yes no problem,  took the car again this morning, about an hour they said are you waiting?, two hours later went out for a walk and to get lunch, went back Sorry we have a problem your touch 2 will not accept the update, can we loan you a car to go home and perhaps come back next week when it is done, O DEAR said I (or something similar), have you got to the bottom of the vibration and noise?, well we have checked it all and the wheel arch liner it as it should be also the air filter box is fine and we can't find any fault with the gear linkage.

I have now sent a detailed list of my problems to Toyota and can only hope they are more help than the dealer, I know this is one of the first of this face lift model but  after more than a year in the wild Toyota must have addressed this vibration problem by now,  I have the car registered on "My Toyota" I can see that the previous owner was also having these problems.

I have had nothing but Toyota cars since 1975 and lost count of how many but this is my fifth Avensis and without doubt the fist Toyota I wish I had never bought, I just hope that Toyota can find a solution.

Sorry for the rant, but it helps.

• Like 2

Hope you get it all sorted!

I have now got the car back from the dealer, the touch 2 finally updated with the bonus that it now has the latest maps.

As I said earlier they assure me that the wheel arch liner etc is as it should be, well they didn't check very hard as the wheel arch liner still has the foam rubber I tucked round the edge to stop it vibrating still where I put it.

Still no reply from Toyota despite their website stating a reply will be sent within 24 hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update on this one, I got no joy from the dealer regarding the wheel arch liner and air box  vibrating through the car body and nothing from Toyota either, so I decided it needed to take action.

Looking at the wheel arch liner showed it was a loose fit on the push through clips which hold it in place and both front liners were hanging down around 3/4 mm I removed the upper clips two at each side fitted a 4mm rubber washer over them and replaced them, all the liners were then held tight to the body and all vibration stopped, on the airbox extension tube where the foam tape is around it to stop the vibration there  are some raised guides molded in the plastic and I trimmed these off with a sharp knife. I informed the service manager at the selling dealer what I had done, he then asked for photos to show his "technicians" so they knew what to do and also to forward to Toyota technical.

All repairs are now complete  the car is a pleasure to drive but the BMW engine is definitely not as smooth as the previous Toyota engines at and around idle but smooths out nicely when on the move,

All in all I am now very happy with the car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, revband said:

All repairs are now complete  the car is a pleasure to drive but the BMW engine is definitely not as smooth as the previous Toyota engines at and around idle but smooths out nicely when on the move,

whilst waiting at the dealer during the inspection of my car's door crack I was having a chat with the service supervisor (I like to think that we have a pretty good rapport). I got the feeling that the BMW engine hasn't been a great success for Toyota - as he said of the technology swap "we didn't give them the latest hybrid technology & they didn't give us the latest diesel technology". 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Toyota had forward vision regarding the current emissions problem and just wanted any engine which would comply with the latest regs without the expense of developing one which the media may put people off buying, but low revs vibration aside the car is far smoother and quieter than my previous 2011 2.2.

On the plus side it has auto stop/start so is really smooth when stopped in traffic 😁😁

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, revband said:

I have a feeling that Toyota had forward vision regarding the current emissions problem and just wanted any engine which would comply with the latest regs without the expense of developing one which the media may put people off buying, but low revs vibration aside the car is far smoother and quieter than my previous 2011 2.2.

I agree that Toyota didn't want to invest in R&D etc. for a new family of diesels for cars that would really only be sold in Europe. However, they don't really seem to have ended up with anything substantially better or newer than the existing AD series from what I can see & of course we don't yet know how their long term reliability is.

The N47 was debuted in 2007 & the 2AD in 2005/6 so they are pretty similar age-wise & I am sure that Toyota could have added an Adblue system if required.

One factor was that Toyota needed a 1.6 diesel for the Auris and Verso to compete effectively in Europe.

The hybrid technology agreement between Toyota and BMW centred on shared research into lithium-ion batteries.

Hi Revband

Glad to hear you got the vibration issue sorted out.   I have exactly the same issue but only when it's really cold, although gear stick vibrates in neutral.   I think I'll hand in a copy of this thread with the next service.

Like you and others I have mixed views on this car - it feels like it was all put together without real thought.   The car rides better and looks inside and out have improved but the BMW engine is not a good match.  Also, I wish the time display was a bit bigger and there was a power socket and USB port at the front.

I am still contending with customer services over the front seat as there is definitely a fault with mine.   The next stage is getting an independent engineer's report, hopefully that will move them to do something

The vibration is at it's worst when cold but now the noise is stopped I only occasionally get a noise from the gear linkage when very cold but when in gear it stops so I can live that.

There is a USB and power socket in the centre console which is a bit inconvenient and badly thought out.

I know it's a pain where the USB connection is located. I use a small extension to make it easier to connect up my memory sticks.

it's available on Amaazon.

USB 3.0 Extension Cable Right Angle 90 Degree Adapter Type A Male To Female High Speed Connection, Super-fast 5Gbps Data Transfer Sync Charger lead.

USB 3.0 Extension Cable Right Angle 90 Degree Adapter.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like I spoke too soon?, I very rarely drive at night but last night I did and have now found that since the camera replacement with the lights on auto the main beam will not switch on and is stuck firmly on dip, no street lights no other vehicles anywhere near.

Back to the dealer yet again, bo***cks.

Hi revband

What was the weather like when you tried it?   I had low cloud the other week and it won't work.   The conditions have to be almost perfect for it to work and it seems to be a lot slower to engage, at least initially.   

The weather was light rain, and the main beam just would not switch on.

I have tried it again to see if the rain had an effect but with a clear sky and good conditions still no main beam unless lights switched to manual, to be honest I do feel happier to dip my own headlights but I do think that if these things are fitted they should work,

Thanks for your interest.

Hi revband

i had my sensor sorted about 2 weeks ago and it's works really well now. The chief technician did mine, apparently it's a tricky thing to do as they have to recalibrate everything afterward with road tests etc.

hope you get it sorted soon though 

Thanks Carl, I hope so too.

Although the TSS on my Avensis has been working as advertised since I took delivery about 3 weeks ago, tonight as I was turning a corner and there was a car travelling slower in front of me, with rear fog lights on, (it was a clear night, so shouldn't have been on), I eased off the accelerator to slow down, but the TSS obviously didn't think I was slowing down enough and the Brake symbol flashed up and the alarm sounded. I didn't brake, as there was no need to, it warned once again then stopped. Wonder if it was because the car in front had it's rear fog lights on and I never got close enough to the car in front to even consider braking to slow down.