Do Not Sell My Personal Information

auris 2.0 d4d cold start

dave be

i have just bought a toyota auris 58 plate 3 door 2.0 d4d 

it has a full toyota service history but im having problems with the 1st start of the day ( cold start) it takes about 15 mins to start if it starts . i have had the rac out to it and all they did was a diagnostic on it and it came back all ok no problems .

i think it might be the glow plug relay but not sure ? took into toyota for a full service and asked for any feed back about it but they just said it could be a number of things to book it in for a diagnostic test at £130

here is the problem i have when i start it. the orange glowplug heating up light only comes on for a split second but when i start it up it does the 1st turn over then stalls and get a puff of smoke out of the exhaust it does it over and over again some times it will start after a few mins and other times it wont start at all.  once it starts it will run fine all day till the next morning  

im thinking glow plug relay but the person who sold it to me knew this problem so now thinking maybe something else 

has anyone have an idea on what it could be ????? thanks for any feed back i may receive 

Check if there's any power at the glow plugs when you turn the ignition on (when the car is cold).  

You can check if there is power to the glowplugs with a multitester or similar. Even though the heat lamp on dashboard is illuminated for but a few seconds, I am told that the glow plugs are still powered for some while beyond those few seconds. Again a multitester may be your friend.

Alternatively get SWK, but that is why many of us are here.

If the glow plugs check out as working fine i would advise changing the fuel filter and air filter which are cheap and easy to do to eliminate them. After this there is a good chance it is likely to be an issue with the suction control valve which is well documented on here. Unfortunately that is not so cheap hence the reason to eliminate the other possible causes.

Thanks will look into. just had a full service done by toyota so oils and filters changed