Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to drain fuel from an SR180

NickSw

Good afternoon folks.

After much deliberation we've decided to p/ex our much beloved SR180 against a new car. This will happen on Monday.

Unfortunately my dearly beloved brimmed it full with diesel a couple of days back. I'm not keen to give this fuel away (tight ****).

Syphon won't work.  If need be it will just go as is, but that would irk me for evermore.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Nick.

Keeping petrol or diesel at home is subject to legal limits:

Advice from the Fire Service in the UK

The official advice about storing petrol or diesel in containers is DON’T. Instead keep your car topped up more frequently so that it is almost full most of the time.

If you choose to keep some petrol or diesel in storage, whether it’s a backup for your vehicle, or fuel for something like a petrol lawnmower or strimmer, remember the legal limits:

• It is illegal in the UK to store more than 30 litres of petrol and/or diesel on your property at any one time.
    • That maximum of 30 litres must be split into 4 containers. You are allowed 2 metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres each, and 2 plastic containers with a maximum capacity of 5 litres each.

In addition, the Fire Service recommends that you treat the fuel with great care:

The regulations for storage of petrol are very stringent and different from diesel, which is not specifically regulated, though is subject to duty of care. HSE regulations apply in either case.

https://www.rix.co.uk/documents/content/files/storage_of_fuel.pdf

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/legal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Clubs/Premises/CARRIAGE%20AND%20STORAGE%20OF%20PETROL%20AND%20DIESEL.pdf

Thanks very much, very helpful.

As a commercial enterprise I keep up to 40,000L of gasoil and 15,000L of derv on site. All this properly maintained & regulated, as it has been for some years.

I realise that this is just a pee in the pot, I just don't want to give it away.

I presume you are unable to answer my question.

I don't have an Auris but if I wanted to drain my tank I'd siphon the fuel. Otherwise I'd check underneath how the fuel pipe attaches to the tank. You'll need a ramp though but I wouldn't think that will be a problem, as a commercial enterprise. Surely you have knowledgeable people there who can advise?

could you remove the rear seat to gain access to the sender unit in the tank then syphon the fuel out from there.

1 hour ago, eygo said:

could you remove the rear seat to gain access to the sender unit in the tank then syphon the fuel out from there.

Thanks very much,

that's how I've spent a pleasant afternoon. Job jobbed.

All the best