Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eco tyre pressures

jet1969

In the owners manual it gives a set of pressures higher than normal for better economy do the tyres have to marked eco they are 225/45 on my 17 inch auris excel hybrid tourer as am trying to improve economy which at the moment is disappointing in the low 40s ,I am used to hybrids having owned a Prius for previous 2 years before will the increased pressures bring a marked improvement

All tyres have varying specs for economy, grip and noise. Tyre pressures can make a big difference especially in winter time, just a couple of psi less can result in 5 mpg or more. So I would suggest trying the eco tyre pressures and if you don't like the ride, you can always go back to the present pressure.

I am still trying to work out if the lower rolling resistance tyres have made much difference to my economy.

On 1/31/2017 at 8:04 AM, Anthony Poli said:

All tyres have varying specs for economy, grip and noise. Tyre pressures can make a big difference especially in winter time, just a couple of psi less can result in 5 mpg or more. So I would suggest trying the eco tyre pressures and if you don't like the ride, you can always go back to the present pressure.

I am still trying to work out if the lower rolling resistance tyres have made much difference to my economy.

Yes, I would like to know how much of a fuel saving the higher tyre pressures give you. I don't find the ride with the eco tyre pressures too bad.

At the end of the month I will be doing a journey of 300 miles, then I can compare to last year with the previous tyres.

• 4 years later...

I use the eco option and I found a big difference in my fuel consumption. I also keep to the optimum top speed for fuel consumption  of 80km/hr  to keep my emissions down. Since doing both of these I have reduced my consumption in the region of 35%. I I keep a watch on my ltr/100km gauge all the time. It is at 4.4/100km at the moment but if I do not check my tyre pressure it goes up to around 5.2/100km. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, The boy said:

I use the eco option and I found a big difference in my fuel consumption. I also keep to the optimum top speed for fuel consumption  of 80km/hr  to keep my emissions down. Since doing both of these I have reduced my consumption in the region of 35%. I I keep a watch on my ltr/100km gauge all the time. It is at 4.4/100km at the moment but if I do not check my tyre pressure it goes up to around 5.2/100km. 

I'm curious. You mention a optimum top speed for fuel consumption of 80km/hr.

How does one find this optimum for their particular Auris Hybrid?

I don't if it is relevant to the Auris but in my Corolla handbook it recommends for economy not to exceed 62mph (100kph). 

This is not something new and perhaps all drivers should be aware that lower speeds will deliver better mpg, 50-60mph has always been the most efficient speed to all cars and it’s down to aerodynamics and physics. Any mile over 60mph increases fuel consumption significantly. Tyre pressure should be set at max recommended psi on cold and keep lower average speeds , avoid hard acceleration and braking, do not race with other drivers, anticipating the road ahead and you will achieve best fuel consumption and enjoy safer and smoother drive., Toyota hybrids promote this sort of driving behaviour therefore they are not the cup of tea for some people. 🚙👍🚗

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links