Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windows not demisting properly

louisesmethurst

I have noticed the last few times I have driven in my car at night that my windows are not demisting properly. Front windscreen demists  a bit but not the full windscreen. That is with full fan on. My drivers and passenger windows were not clearing and rear windscreen cleared a little bit but not fully. 

It seems to work a bit but not enough. Any thoughts 

Thanks 

Have you got the air control on recirc rather than fresh air?

If you have air conditioning, this used in conjunction with your heater provides faster demisting as the air con produces dehumidified air.

See also: 

• Like 1

I did try switching the recirculation and fresh air to see if it was stuck. But I always have it on fresh air. I did try putting air con on and turned temp down as that is what I do in summer. Didn't help. But didn't try hot air and air con. Will give that a try. Just seems odd that only be en troubling me recently.

Does it have a pollen filter?  It could be choked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alan333 said:

Yes it does. I suppose i should maybe get it serviced. Its due one soon so maybe thats something. 

You don't indicate how old the car is? I would go with the easy option first, as Alan suggests, and check the pollen/cabin filter (if fitted). Chances are, it's never been changed.

• Like 1

On 5 February 2017 at 9:36 AM, alan333 said:

Yes it does. I suppose i should maybe get it serviced. Its due one soon so maybe thats something. Or is that something that is easy to do yourself

The car is nearly 3.5 years old. I think the last time it was serviced on its full service i remember them saying something about the pollen filter but u said to leave it for time being. On my notes it says £49 pollen so presume that is what they mean.

i will get it booked in for service and get the pollen filter changed

Ensure the inside of the windscreen glass is squeaky clean. Water vapor molecules love to cling on to dirty surfaces, which is the mist you see.

Put some isospropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth and gently clean the glass until it is smear free. I use contact cleaner from Halfords, as it contains isospropyl alcohol and can be used elsewhere on the car, such as cleaning electrical contacts.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-400ml

• Like 2

If you have the full owners manual, changing the air conditioning filter (aka pollen filter) will be described in there. Easy to change. Can get a new filter from your dealer, eBay, or some motor factors.

Should be able to change it for £12-20, depending where you get the filter from.

• Like 1

I have booked it in at local garage to get the filter done tomorrow morning, it has never been changed so that defo needs doing. Booked it at toyota on friday for its intermediate service. So if problem not solved they can check it out on friday.

thank you for all the help.

😉

I had the pollen filter changed.  £20 inc vat and labour, Not had much chance to test yet. But will update when i have. Old filter does look a bit mucky.

I don't suppose the inside of the car is wet somewhere by any chance?  Check the carpets etc, including the boot and spare wheel well.