Do Not Sell My Personal Information

03 corolla verso rear brake pad query

TAF

Hi all

im just changing rear brake pads - i had a quick look to see its the same as a normal corolla, but the verso seems to have 2 pins that hold the pads to the carrier... Ive not seen this before normally its 2 bolts for the carrier and you can move it away from the disk?! Wish i had taken a picture of it now.... Any suggestions? Im unsure how to take the pads off.

t hanks in advance.

1 hour ago, TAF said:

I agree with that bit, but how do I get them off?

Knock the pins out and the pads will pull out?  Or split the caliper by undoing the big bolts?

Surely knocking the pins out, using a drift, should suffice?  Wouldn't have thought you need to have to split the caliper in this day an age, unless there's some other problem.

Scrutinising your photos, I'm wondering if I can see a small hole in each of the pins, close to the pad nearest the head of each pin, where there might have been a split pin type pin.  Did you remove these or were they missing?

Your brake assembly is totally different to my Corolla, so I'm a little blind as regards detail of your vehicle :(

Thanks for the comments, splitting the caliper is a no no! There is a bolt that appears to be seized.. I never thought about knocking the pins out.. I gave them a quick tug with some pliers but that wasn't working. Will give it another try.

The car car is a 03 corolla verso, I had a 03 corolla before this and the brakes were so much easier to change 😳

8 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Scrutinising your photos, I'm wondering if I can see a small hole in each of the pins, close to the pad nearest the head of each pin, where there might have been a split pin type pin.  Did you remove these or were they missing?

Good spot! There were 2 pin type springs on either pad that I removed in the hope that would magically release the pins lol needless to say that didn't work!