Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Discs on 2008 2.0 D4D

avensisTR1415

I was thinking a rear bearing was gone on my 2.0 D4D Avensis..... so i was in with the tyre shop today getting front tyres and got a chance to have a good look while the car was up on the lift.

Tried spining the rear tyres by hand and could hear a scrapping noise.... on closer inspection i could the caliper  seemed to be rubbing the disc.... there was no lip on the disc as it appears the caliper has worn it even..... could this be the huming noise im hearing? 

Theres 195k miles on the discs so they are well overdue replacement... i replaced the front discs at 120k mile.

I see i can source non toyota discs  alot cheaper online.... are the toyota disc worth the extra money?

Cheers

Guys

Maybe she just needs a set of pads..Hopefully the caliper hasn't seized

1 hour ago, avensisTR1415 said:

I see i can source non toyota discs  alot cheaper online.... are the toyota disc worth the extra money?

In my experience of a T25, not as I was not happy with the oem braking setup.

I went with MTEC discs with the black coating (keeps the unswept & hub area clean & unrusty). I used Ferodo Premier pads (not the cheapest option) but others have good reports of Mintex.

On the other hand I am quite happy with the oem braking on my T27.

pads are not gone... looks like the disc has wore thin allowing the caliper to touch the disc. .. ill try to get a photo of it tomorrow and upload here

48 minutes ago, avensisTR1415 said:

pads are not gone... looks like the disc has wore thin allowing the caliper to touch the disc. .. ill try to get a photo of it tomorrow and upload here

If you are replacing the discs you should replace the pads at the same time.

• Like 1

I fitted Ferodo pads to mine all round, brakes are much improved from the original pads.

Are you sure the caliper is touching the disk, the noise could be the handbrake shoes scuffing the drum that is inside the disk.

Apologies not a great photo but heres what the rear disc looks like .... you might be able to make out the the lip on the disc is wore down.... it appears to be the calliper thats touching the disc... as the theres about 40% left on the pads.

Not sure if this would result in the humming sound i've been hearing thinking it was the bearing.....

So i dropped into my local Mr T dealer today and picked up rear discs and brake pads all round (front & back) for 190 euro.. will fit them this weekend with the help of the workshop submission on this site.

2017-02-07 08.52.42.jpg

Something is not quite correct. I would have the brakes properly dismantled and inspected. Even if the disc is worn and the pads also worn down, there should be clearance. When replacing the discs and pads, clean the caliper, brackets, mounting points and hub mating face, of dirt, debris and rust. Don't just put the new parts in, because you may have problems again later.

When installing the new disc and pads, makes sure there is no contact between the disc and the caliper or bracket. Use two or more wheel nuts, to temporarily hold the disc to the hub and rotate the disc. Only the pads should make contact, and it should be even all around. Any contact points tap disc hub or use more wheel nuts.

As I said, the wear of the disc and pads should not bring the disc into contact alone. The rust on both surfaces may have contributed. Hopefully all will be okay after replacement.    

cheers for the info Konrad.... i get what your saying i too was surprised to see the lip wore down on the disc after all they have 195K miles on them...... ill strip it down at the weekend and see whats going on.

Thanks again

So i replaced the rear brake discs at the weekend.... was very straight forward thanks to the the workshop submission thread.

On inspection they looked to be in a very poor state  see the images below.... brake pads were not wearing even on the rear passenger side.... and the inside of the disc appears to be badly worn..... once i fitted the new discs and pads i took if for a test drive to find no noise coming from the rear wheels... i had suspected it was a rear bearing but seems it was due to the poor state of the discs.

Thanks for all the help lads.

20170215_131918.jpg

20170215_132007.jpg

20170215_132035.jpg

• Like 2

Now that is bad! I was not happy with the state of my brakes last year when I changed them, but yours are really corroded. Because of the shields and location, it would need a strip down to see what condition the discs are. At least the source of the noise has been found. I would say it was a handy warning.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links