Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR Valve question

bluerav4

Just a quick one. My car seems to be a little hesitant at pulling off but once it gets going it's fine. Reading previous posts it looks like I could have an issue with the EGR. I only use Shell Vpower as members have said that's the best for a 180.

my car still has an extended warranty so shall I just take it to Toyota and let them repair/replace or attempt to clean it myself and save the time of booking it in with the dealer as they don't have any appointments for at least week and want to keep the car for a day and I really don't have the time.

it does looks pretty simple to clean it myself but I'm still a little nervous .

Removing the EGR is very simple - instructions on the how to section somewhere. It is simply 6 bolts and removal of the electrical connection. For cleaning, a can of carb cleaner, an old toothbrush, and a vacuum to remove the hard crud deposits does the trick. Remove all crud in the ports leading to the head, in the chamber itself, the hard pipe and everything  on the valve itself. A little light oil on the valve spindle post clean assists.

Well worth the effort - an hour tops and saves you pots of money paying an uncaring pleb to do it for you.

Thanks for that Mark. I'm seriously considering doing it myself If I can't get an appointment with Toyota. The cars still under extended warranty so not sure if it was covered giving them an excuse not to replace it if it is covered.

• Like 1

If you are not keen on removing the EGR valve to clean it, then you could try running a tin of this through the air intake system. Pretty quick and simple to use. You've only a few quid to lose if it doesn't do the trick.

Wynns EGR3 for Diesel Engines

Bluerav

It really is very easy to accomplish. The EGR on a T180 is under the plastic engine cover towards the front of the engine. Very accessible, just don't drop any bolts or gaskets!

If it has never been done before it will be caked in black muck and solids. Let the carb cleaner soak in and use disposable gloves. You should observe a noticeable difference in response and mpg once cleaned.

My advice going forward would be to use decent fuel and clean it out again every year or so.  

Forget the Wynns thing - donate to your local charity instead if you must.

• Like 1

thanks both

ive decided I will give it a go myself on the weekend weather permitting and update the results.

By the way my cars had a new engine fitted and have done about 30K miles since probably less but I'm making a guess here.

would the EGR have been replaced too at the same time?

It is perfectly possible that a new EGR would come with a new engine, but also possible that even at 30K the EGR could become clogged. I should add that cleaning it may not solve your problem, but given the simplicity and low cost it is definitely worth a try. Just take your time and work methodically.    

• Like 1

Mark, really appreciate your advice I will give it a go and get back to you and update with the results never done anything like this before as I don't have a clue about cars especially DIY it does look simple and will finally get to use some tools that have been in the garage for over 10 years and never used 

👍🏼

I am sure you will find it a very satisfying exercise both in terms of accomplishment and learning about how your car works. Read the instructions, take your time. IIRC, I think a socket set and spanners are all that is required, plus plenty of rags and the can of carb cleaner. Electrical connector needs a bit of care to free the retaining tab before you can pull it off - small screwdriver or similar to pry it.

• Like 1

Managed to take the EGR off the top bolts were easy to take off did struggle with the other two but managed to get it off.

it was quite caked up so took it all off and then gave it a good clean with the carburettor cleaner spray. I didn't get it back in till today but not driven the car yet due to the weather we live on the top of a hill that the council don't grit but hopefully Road should be better tomorrow and I'll update after work 

thanks again 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in updating. I cleaned it initially and it seemed ok for a few days but still a little hesitant in the morning but ok once it'd warmed up. so took it off again and this time left it overnight in the carburettor cleaner. It's not missed a beat since and drives absolutely awesome. Driving up a hill before was a nightmare but an absolute dream now.

When it went in for servicing I mentioned it and was told it's a faulty EGR and should really be replaced, I told them I was more than happy cleaning it. I did have some photos of the before and after but deleted them by mistake 

thanks again for all the advice and apologies for the late reply