Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jerky gear changes

Oscar62

Hello all, I've just bought a 63 plate Yaris Trend 1.3 petrol with 26k on the clock.

I'm really not liking it, the revs fluctuate on their own on start up. I can't get a smooth gear change as it jerks, and if I try to reverse with no throttle it stalls. Also sometimes when I press the throttle nothing seems to happen, and other times it revs it's nuts off!

I'm finding I'm having to let off the throttle early to change up and blip throttle to get a smooth down change, I shouldn't have to do this in a modern car surely?

I part exchanged my Abarth 500 for this and I'm really regretting it, that was so smooth to drive.

Is this just a Yaris thing?

where did you buy it?

if you bought it from a dealer take it back, explain your issues & see what they do/say.

If you bought it privately you have no comeback with the vendor but as long as it has been serviced to Toyota recommendations it is still under warranty so take it to a Toyota dealer & as above.

However, it could be just that you are used to your old car & that the clutch biting point etc. on the Yaris are very different. Did you not test drive?

• Like 1

Yes I test drove it but she I'd never driven it before I assumed that was why it was a bit jerky.

I got it from a Toyota dealer and it's going in next Thursday.

I had a Yaris a couple of years ago (2011 plate) and although I loved it, it had the same issues and I got rid of it.

I never thought I'd be so unlucky as to get another one the same!

If you're finding that it revs when you're changing gear, that is part of the emissions controls. It is something one soon gets used to. I noticed the same in my 2006 Corolla, and after a couple of weeks didn't have any issue. My 2009 and 2012 Auris would have been the same, but having got used to the Corolla, never noticed the issue in the later cars.

That's interesting, a friend of mine said it's down to modern cars having to run so lean because of emissions etc.

It won't hurt for Toyota to give it the once over though whilst it's still covered by their warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update, Toyota looked at the car but said they found nothing wrong.

They said it's just the cars characteristics lol

14 minutes ago, Oscar62 said:

Just to update, Toyota looked at the car but said they found nothing wrong.

They said it's just the cars characteristics lol

Yes

Trying to reverse a petrol car without throttle is never going to result in anything but stalling !

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2017 at 9:28 AM, martswain said:

Trying to reverse a petrol car without throttle is never going to result in anything but stalling !

I must agree, very slowly you can do it, but it's no like diesel engines. Same for moving in slow traffic, always need a little bit of throttle too

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 4:30 PM, Oscar62 said:

Hello all, I've just bought a 63 plate Yaris Trend 1.3 petrol with 26k on the clock.

I'm really not liking it, the revs fluctuate on their own on start up. I can't get a smooth gear change as it jerks, and if I try to reverse with no throttle it stalls. Also sometimes when I press the throttle nothing seems to happen, and other times it revs it's nuts off!

I'm finding I'm having to let off the throttle early to change up and blip throttle to get a smooth down change, I shouldn't have to do this in a modern car surely?

I part exchanged my Abarth 500 for this and I'm really regretting it, that was so smooth to drive.

Is this just a Yaris thing?

For what is worth, I have a Auris with the same engine, and I have had the chance to drive an Abarth 500. The driving experience is completely different and is going to take you a long time to get used to it. With the Toyota you have to drive it like a granny, honestly. It doesn't like a sporty/aggressive drive. It's not a Honda. You need to do things slow and smooth. That is just the way it is. 

And yeah, I agree with the rest when it comes to reversing.  You cannot reverse with no throttle. That is just the way it is with most petrol cars.