Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sticking VNT's and AR6400D

Avalon

Basically if diesels were not burdened with all the emissions nonsense, then many of the problems seen on the forums would disappear and there would be little or possibly no disadvantage to undertaking short runs - though a good blast now and then would be beneficial, as it would be with a petrol. It should not be the case that drivers should be so penalized in their driving habits when using a diesel - rather they should be encouraged to drive diesels - largely due to the better efficiency, ease of refining, economy, robustness and lower CO, CO2 and hydrocarbon emissions. Yes, particulates are an issue, but it is highly debatable whether their disadvantages outweigh the many advantages.           

As someone who lives in a city (& one that fails to meet EU air quality law) emission controls are not nonsense. Diesel has much, much higher NOx emissions as well as particulates.

You can get ~42% of a barrel of oil refined into petrol but only ~22% into diesel so diesel availability is more limited.

• Like 1

Emission controls are nonsense when they fail to work effectively - which is what happens when EGRs and DPFs become slightly blocked let alone clogged up. They are even more nonsensical when that partial blockage results in increased fuel consumption and thus even more emissions. Besides which, the premise that particulates and NOX are somehow more harmful than the increased CO CO2 and HCs that petrol engines kick out is spurious to say the least.   

Diesel is easier to refine from crude as it is the heavier fraction. The fact that currently more gasoline is produced from crude is not due to ease of production but supply and demand.

17 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Emission controls are nonsense when they fail to work effectively - which is what happens when EGRs and DPFs become slightly blocked let alone clogged up.

Not afaik.

Besides which, the premise that particulates and NOX are somehow more harmful than the increased CO CO2 and HCs that petrol engines kick out is spurious to say the least.   I think that many would argue that - at least with Adblue & DPFs we have technology to greatly reduce NOx & particulates.

Diesel is easier to refine from crude as it is the heavier fraction. The fact that currently more gasoline is produced from crude is not due to ease of production but supply and demand.

Diesel typically has 2x as long carbon chains as petrol hence why you can get more petrol out of a barrel of oil than diesel. Yes, you can make more diesel by conversion but that is more work/energy so less efficient.

• 2 years later...

Time to re-visit this again, my 'temporary' solution lasted 28 months and 20k+... Costco Premium Diesel, cheaper than supermarket fuel, but with higher grade detergent package that I presume lead to a cleaner burn and a little carbon scarification. Unfortunately a change in driving pattern/route means I don't go past daily any more and my only local options were Jet/Sainsbury, guess what happened? Yep, back to limp mode, as it took over 2K of 'normal' fuel to get the issue back, I figured i'd make the most of it and go back and test other cleaning options again. Initially actuating the turbo by hand was met with resistance, it didn't ease off after several cycles over a few days and I could still provoke limp mode at will.

My weapon of choice this time round is 'Forte Turbo Diesel Cleaner' at £12.50 for 400ml from my local factor and a few pence cheaper on Amazon/eBay, it's not as expensive as other options such as AR6400D or BG244, neither of which had any obvious benefit in my case, but at what is in effect £31.25/ltr, I wouldn't call it cheap. The advice on the back of the bottle is to run two bottles through if you've had a problem. After considering my lifestyle choices I grabbed two bottles and took a detour to neck the tank with Costco's finest. I only had short runs for the next few days, and unfortunately within 15 miles I was back to limp mode. After clearing the code I drove it as normal and by 50 miles, the car felt slightly smoother, the turbo spooled up cleanly and despite my best efforts, I couldn't provoke limp mode. The actuator arm moves a little easier as well, so far it seems to be living up to the claims/feedback.

As previously pointed out, non of this will magically fix the root cause, diesel engines produce carbon/soot and carbon loves to stick to carbon, my intention is to avoid dismantling an otherwise mechanically serviceable turbo (120K/14yrs) simply because it's dirty, if I can strike a happy balance of decent fuel and say a bottle or two of Forte every service, then to me at least, that's an acceptable outcome. I appreciate the arguments for replacing it and getting another 5-10+ years of trouble free motoring, but the cost to do so would be several times what i'd spend on treatment and I doubt i'll still be running this particular RAV in 10 years with 250K on it.

• 2 years later...
On 6/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, Avalon said:

Time to re-visit this again, my 'temporary' solution lasted 28 months and 20k+... Costco Premium Diesel, cheaper than supermarket fuel, but with higher grade detergent package that I presume lead to a cleaner burn and a little carbon scarification. Unfortunately a change in driving pattern/route means I don't go past daily any more and my only local options were Jet/Sainsbury, guess what happened? Yep, back to limp mode, as it took over 2K of 'normal' fuel to get the issue back, I figured i'd make the most of it and go back and test other cleaning options again. Initially actuating the turbo by hand was met with resistance, it didn't ease off after several cycles over a few days and I could still provoke limp mode at will.

My weapon of choice this time round is 'Forte Turbo Diesel Cleaner' at £12.50 for 400ml from my local factor and a few pence cheaper on Amazon/eBay, it's not as expensive as other options such as AR6400D or BG244, neither of which had any obvious benefit in my case, but at what is in effect £31.25/ltr, I wouldn't call it cheap. The advice on the back of the bottle is to run two bottles through if you've had a problem. After considering my lifestyle choices I grabbed two bottles and took a detour to neck the tank with Costco's finest. I only had short runs for the next few days, and unfortunately within 15 miles I was back to limp mode. After clearing the code I drove it as normal and by 50 miles, the car felt slightly smoother, the turbo spooled up cleanly and despite my best efforts, I couldn't provoke limp mode. The actuator arm moves a little easier as well, so far it seems to be living up to the claims/feedback.

As previously pointed out, non of this will magically fix the root cause, diesel engines produce carbon/soot and carbon loves to stick to carbon, my intention is to avoid dismantling an otherwise mechanically serviceable turbo (120K/14yrs) simply because it's dirty, if I can strike a happy balance of decent fuel and say a bottle or two of Forte every service, then to me at least, that's an acceptable outcome. I appreciate the arguments for replacing it and getting another 5-10+ years of trouble free motoring, but the cost to do so would be several times what i'd spend on treatment and I doubt i'll still be running this particular RAV in 10 years with 250K on it.

I sincerely apologise for pulling up an old topic! However I have to ask, has Forte remained functioning for your issue? I believe I'm also suffering with sticky vanes, and I'm just wondering if this is still holding up for you?

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2022 at 1:26 AM, Infiniti said:

I sincerely apologise for pulling up an old topic! However I have to ask, has Forte remained functioning for your issue? I believe I'm also suffering with sticky vanes, and I'm just wondering if this is still holding up for you?

Apologies for the delay in replying. Zero issues until I took the MK2 off the road in April 2021 @ 132k but I did make the switch back to Costco fuel. I do need to do the SCV’s on it before it goes back on the road, and a few other little jobs, but I also have a MK4 which is currently in use.