Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cooling system problem

Trevor T k

HI guys .I have a 1.4 D4D  1ND-TV  engine. One day I was travelling the red light just came on flashing.the I stopped topped up water.on my way back the red light flashed again and I topped more water the it's was ok travelled 140km then I checked next day the water pump was leaking. The replaced it but the radiator hoses are swollen always even when cold start it .then I drove it again at 120-150km/hr temp normal  but rilly worried with hoses too much pressure in them. No water in the oil.do u think it might have blown the head gasket. Am rilly worried but it runs smooth when start.guy give me advice on what to do

Did you bleed the cooling system of air when you refilled it with water?

If you did not, there will be air trapped in the cooling system. Switch engine off. You need to expel the air by undoing the radiator cap ( careful if it is hot), and squeeze the lower hose which runs from the radiator.  This will expel some air. Then connect radiator cap, run engine . And repeat.

The Heater must be switched to full heat when doing this - to expel any air from the heater radiator.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone 

I recently purchased a second hand Toyota Auris 2008 model. I drained all the Coolant that was in the system and refilled with new Coolant. However, its been a week and the Coolant level is not changing. I only filled the system with one bottle and it looks like the Coolant is not getting into the engine. The engine is not overheating or anything like that, but why is the Coolant level not changing after putting one bottle of 500ml Coolant? 

Topics merged.

15 hours ago, Tinashe said:

Hi everyone 

I recently purchased a second hand Toyota Auris 2008 model. I drained all the Coolant that was in the system and refilled with new Coolant. However, its been a week and the Coolant level is not changing. I only filled the system with one bottle and it looks like the Coolant is not getting into the engine. The engine is not overheating or anything like that, but why is the Coolant level not changing after putting one bottle of 500ml Coolant? 

Hi, can you please provide more information about your car, engine size, transmission, mileage..? Why did you change the coolant at first place and how, from where did you drain it? How many litres you had drained? Was there any coolant leaks prior to change?  Does the heating worked after filling up the new coolant? Give us more info and more likely someone will help. If you had drained all the coolant and you put back in only 500ml I strongly suggest do not drive the car. 
Regards 

it sounds to me like the fluid reservoir is the only part to be drained

and thats why only 500ml has gone back in and hasn't dropped over the 1 week period.

Hi

My mechanic said when the engine is cold, the thermostat closes the cooling system circuit from the radiator so that the engine will heat faster. Then, when the temperature rises enough, the thermostat will open, letting the cooling fluid to go through the radiator. That was explanation why the Coolant level in the  Auris is not changing. Is that true? 

29 minutes ago, Tinashe said:

Hi

My mechanic said when the engine is cold, the thermostat closes the cooling system circuit from the radiator so that the engine will heat faster. Then, when the temperature rises enough, the thermostat will open, letting the cooling fluid to go through the radiator. That was explanation why the Coolant level in the  Auris is not changing. Is that true? 

Yes it is. Did you done the procedure to take the air out and to let coolant circulate through heater core and radiator after you filed up the reservoir? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links