Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold cylinders

beltdrive

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 93 T-100 with the 3.0L running a bit rough, 212,000 mi.  With it running when I pull the plug wires for cylinder numbers 1,3,4 there is no change on how it runs.

The plugs were hard to remove and had way too many miles on them. Might have been original.

A compression check on all cylinders shows 150+ psi dry and 170+ after adding oil.

There is good spark at all plugs. I put in plugs from a known good running engine along with a cap and rotor.

I haven't checked fuel pressure yet however 3 cylinders are firing and  I still need to find enough fittings to connect a gauge.

I am leaning towards the fuel injectors as being the culprit.  Anything else to check before removing the plenum?

Get a long screw driver and place one end on the injector and your ear to the other (assuming you can reach them) Listen to see if there is a rythmic clicking. If the clicking is irregular or non-existent, then the injectors are likely the reason for the rough running.

• Like 1

3 are accessible and there is a non-firing cyl. on that bank.  I will check as soon as it warms a bit. thanks.

While looking at injector prices, I see there is a cold start valve. Any insight on what that is and how it works?

Cold start valve is similar to an injector. It should be mounted to the intake somewhere and it sprays fuel inside when the engine is cold to increase the fuel mixture and aid cold starts.

I wouldn't worry about this much until the engine is running on all cylinders.

• Like 1

Fuel pressure is 45 psi down stream of the filter.

Only one of the injectors are accessible with a screwdriver and that one is in a firing cylinder.

I'll go ahead and buy a set of new injectors  $80 free shipping.  Local parts store wants around $70 each

http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/toyota-92-95-pickup-or-4runner-3-0l-or-93-94-t100-3-0l/

I pulled the trouble codes and the computer gives me

#14  Ignition reference signal -no signal

When I did the compression check I unplugged the coil connectors for the computer not the coil wire as a way to disable the ignition.
I think this may have tripped this code.

4 hours ago, dash said:

Does this thread really belong in the Toyota iQ forum !!

Moderator please move if there is a more appropriate forum.

oops, I didn't realize until now that "IQ" is a Toyota model!

You guys are awesome!,,, Here comes a bumbling yank wif a 4x4 truck to a forum for smart cars!  :laugh:

How do you like them?  Are they all electric? Dynamic braking?

Small cars along side of bigger trucks on the motor way always causes me hesitation.  I was passing a semi truck once just as the truck has a blow-out on a drive tyre. The pressure wave caused my car to shift a half a car lane and me to..... well lets just say I needed to stop!

• Like 1

Not Smart cars, we all hate Smart cars around here. :biggrin:

The Toyota iQ was marketed in the states as the Scion iQ so you may have seen some around without really noticing them. In the UK we have two versions, both with petrol driven engines. There is a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder version and the type I have which is the 1.33 litre 4 cylinder engine. We also have the option of manual stick shift, 5 or 6 speed and then there is a CVT automatic option.  The 1.33 version is around 100bhp which feels quite lively in a small car. 

As for me though I just drive the iQ as a fun, cheap and different means of transport to get to and from work. They are quite rare in the UK so you can drive weeks without seeing another one. Things like VW Golfs, Mini's, Audi's just don't appeal to me as you can see hundreds of them, all the same, in the space of 30 minutes in this country.

For fun though I drive a car I built myself that has a big American V8 in it. Fuel injected now so not quite so old fashioned but it's certainly a different drive than the iQ. :biggrin:

Craig.

IMG_0105-small.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

• Like 3

Moved to 'Other Toyota 4X4's'

My injectors arrived today and they weren't too hard to put in. 3 hours with a little messing around. Three injectors were plugged with a powdery residue. But all back together now. Tomorrow I'll check for vacuum leaks using an unlit propane torch.

If I am ever across the pond I'll buy a round of "cold cylinders" at the pub for everyone. 

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1