Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2011 noisy engine

Janineh

My Aygo engine started being really noisy when accelerating about 6 months ago. It's not getting worse and does not make the noise when ticking over. It sounds like tappits to me and someone told me it may need shims which I believe is an expensive job. Car has done 77000 miles. Any ideas please ? 

I hope this doesn't sound a bit cheeky, but have you checked the engine oil level recently?

if the valve clearances are too large then it would be noisey on idle as well

Have checked the oil and keeping it regularly checked and topped up. Was my first thought too. Thank you fordulike.

eygo - thank you that helps in the elimination of what it could be.

Mmmmmm, if it were the other way round, diesel sounding on tickover, getting less noisy as revs increase, then I would have said fairly normal.

There's virtually zero soundproofing on these cars, so they pick up noises from all over the place. A stone flicking up and hitting the chassis, sounds like a brick has hit it lol.

Have you had someone rev the engine whilst stationary, with you listening with the bonnet open, to pinpoint the sound?

I'd be looking for stuff that's loose around the exhaust system myself.

• Like 1

I Have a late 2006 Aygo petrol. it has done almost 100K

It was pretty noisy especially at cold start, oil change to fully synthetic helped, but also i was trying to cure a rich to lean problem, changing the injectors (easy 10 minute job) also cured a lot of the tapping too. unfortunately it didn't cure my other problems !

1 hour ago, tonyuk123 said:

I Have a late 2006 Aygo petrol. it has done almost 100K

It was pretty noisy especially at cold start, oil change to fully synthetic helped, but also i was trying to cure a rich to lean problem, changing the injectors (easy 10 minute job) also cured a lot of the tapping too. unfortunately it didn't cure my other problems !

Have you checked the tolerance of the lamdba sensors?

Edit: Whoops, ignore this, just spotted yer other thread.

How do you check that and how do i know what they should be anyway?

was sold both sensors as 'Aygo' replacements

both had correct connectors as standard (not generic type with just wires)

plus performance/drive got better even though readings for error were pretty much the same

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links