Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Upgrades

shamil91

Hello,

I am new to the forum and needed some help.

I currently have a 2006 Toyota Avensis 1.8 T25, it has been kept in great condition, fully running and absolutely amazing drive. The car has done 100k in mileage.

I am looking to keep the car on a long term basis, if possible to push it to 150k miles or more. The car is serviced each year but I wanted to ask if I was to buy my own specific parts such as high end spark plugs or high performance oil filter compared to the ones they use in the service would that really make a difference or just waste of money? Plus I am sure over time the car loses horsepower etc, would buying any high end items make a difference?

Finally also had to ask if I did want to change the engine (highly doubtful as I am sure that would cost an arm and leg) to a 2.0 plus how much would it roughly cost? Only reason I am asking is because it would be nice to have a bigger engine if possible in future. The new Toyota Avensis after 2010 the body shape is not that great but the older models the body shape is amazing hence why not upgrading to the new model.

Many thanks for all your help in advance

Kind regards

Leave it stock, and do regular maintenance as per the schedule (miles or time, whichever comes first).  Lots of 1.8's are used as taxis around here with well over 150k on them.  If you want the bigger engine sell yours and buy one with the bigger engine.

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

As for the servicing that is done each year so it is maintained very well. Not bad at all, I would love to take it over 150k, the Avensis has been an absolute gem, very rare to find nice cars like this one. True about the Engine I am sure it would cost a fortune to replace.

Also had to ask if I was to buy high end specific items would you suggest it could make a difference?

Kind regards

Shamil

what sort of annual mileage are you doing?

Hi Heidfirst,

Thank you for the message.

Probably around 5k maximum, I am the 3rd owner, there were 2 previous owners before me.

Kind regards

Shamil

As said, you can easily get 150k to 200k out of modern engines, I did that kind of mileage on my Mk1 Avensisis and previous car; my current Corolla just running in at 98k.:laugh:

Just follow the normal service schedule and change the oil once a year  for your mileage, no need to go mad on expensive parts,  just decent quality oils, I 've used mainly Comma and Magnatec, though the latter is getting too dear these days;  use a decent oil filter,eg Blueprint, Denso or even genuine Toyota

Spark plugs, use the Toyota specified / recommended ones, should they be  Iridium types ?

Don,t forget to change the brake fluid and gearbox oil when due.

Probably the best thing you can do is give it a good long  high speed run out for 30 - 60 mins once a month and once fully warmed really give it a good blast with high revs for a minute or so; find it helps clear things out.

Hi Oldcodger,

Wow nice, seems like your keep your cars running well. Oil changes are usually done at the servicing, but I can buy my own and get that sorted. As for the oil filter on euro car parts I have seen high performance going for like £22, I wouldnt mind spending if it does make a difference. I wont change the spark plugs to anything else other than recommended by toyota. As for the Brake fluid and Gearbox oil isn't that done at service? If not I can get it and do it.

Brillant I will take on that last bit and end of the month go out for a high speed run and a 1 min rev blast.

Thank you very much for all the help

Kind regards

Shamil

Hi,

Before you take you car for a blast, ensure its first fully serviced and something not mentioned above, check if your engine has a cam Belt or Chain.

If a Belt then check when it was last replaced, Do not blast it until you are sure it 100%

If you car has been service at a Toyota Dealer, then it shouuld have been seviced properly, however once out of warranty, many folk use local garages and their services can be good or not so good, depending what you pay for.

I would normally suggest you get a Haynes Service Book which details both Basic and advanced maintenance, but they only do one for the 1998 -2002 Avensis.

Best thing is go to the main Avensis forum and ask about what the service shedule should be and what you can easliy do yourself, depending on your ability and desire.

For a standard car, no need to  waste you money on performace car parts, no idea what that  £22 oil filter is, typically about a £10 even from toyota as far as I know.

When in the Avensis forum, look up my old corolla friend and say hello for me to Sammy,:flowers:   SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS  who has moved up to a similar Avensis, she knows a lot ( as well as all the others of course !)

Hi Oldcoger

The car had been recently serviced and it is usually done by a family friend so I would assume he must be doing a good job ha ha. But for sure I will ask him if it has a belt or chain and if it needs changing. 

I usually get a full service done plus the warranty for the car has long finished so to do the service at Toyota is so expensive. 

I don't think I would be able to get the haynes service book as my car is a 2006 model unfortunately. 

Definitely I will ask around on the main forum. As for myself as long as the car runs well I'm happy but for me to do it I would have to pass on that as I'm not that good at opening car and doing different things hence why leave it to the mechanics haha.

Ah right, when you go on euro car parts and click on performance items you get Ken oil filters like £22 but if Toyota main dealers charge £10 that's worth it then.

Definitely I am following sammy will get in touch and see what else we can do

Thank you so much for the help

Kind regards

Shamil 

a 2006 1.8 should be a chain driven engine.

Toyota recently introduced a range of cheaper services called Essential Care for vehicles over 5 years old. 

www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json?

Hi Heidfirst,

I will look into the Essential Care

Thank you

Kind regards

Shamil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links