Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Who's Got A Rev1?

Cally007

Righto I am looking at getting a rev1 mr2, however everywhere i read I see "tail happy" "uncontrolable" and similar scary stuff.

Are they as bad as these reviews etc say?? Also read you can upgrade to rev2 rear geometry?(or sommit like that)

If it is bad would good quality suspension kit not sort it out??

Also are rev1's worth any less than similar age rev2's due to the above mentioned??

thanks.

I HAD one before my type III, it was most definitly not as good as the revised suspension......I've found the Type III suspension to be EASIER to control & yes...less tail snappy. You can upgrade your suspension to make it beter though.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hey Cally, mine is a rev one and i have to say that its a great car to

drive, yes it can be i little tail happy in the wet but its not uncontrolable.

Ive upgraded the suspension on mine to rev 3 spec which has lowered

the car slightly and stiffened it up a little.

Ive also got rev 3 alloys which are 15" instead of 14" and have much

larger rear tyres so this helps loads on its own.

One more thing... buy a t-bar! You'll regret it if you dont.

Heres mine. :thumbsup:

568586_17_full.jpg

One more thing... buy a t-bar! You'll regret it if you dont.

Not with the weather we're having today you wont!! :(

Rash

p.s. Cally have PM'd you back mate.

Not with the weather we're having today you wont!! 

The suns shining in bonnie scotland today mate :D

The suns shining in bonnie scotland today mate

Lucky sod :P

Rash

I dont find mine too bad, but was used to an sx which makes this look like its glued to the road..... Decent tyres help! They do tend to be all or nothing though, very very hard to controll, given up trying to drift mine now :(

rev1's are fine.

If you get lowered and uprated suspension and change from the 14" wheels to larger ones, then it supposedly makes the car better to control. Do this and make sure you get good tyres on the rear.

I don't know about a n/a rev1, but on a turbo it's obviously gonna be slightly tail happy. Imagine going round a corner, foot down in second gear and the turbo kicks in. Obviously in wet conditions you're most probably gonna spin out.

Drive sensibly and you'll have no problems.

rev1's are fine.

If you get lowered and uprated suspension and change from the 14" wheels to larger ones, then it supposedly makes the car better to control. Do this and make sure you get good tyres on the rear.

I don't know about a n/a rev1, but on a turbo it's obviously gonna be slightly tail happy. Imagine going round a corner, foot down in second gear and the turbo kicks in. Obviously in wet conditions you're most probably gonna spin out.

Drive sensibly and you'll have no problems.

even in the dry mate!... I can defo confirm that!.. :rolleyes:

whats this rev3 set up you talk of? 

In my case ive simply fitted the shocks and springs from a rev 3 model

but i changed the wheels before i did this and that made a big

difference on its own.

And as jim says, decent tyres on the rear are a must!

rev1 isn't THAT bad. i quite enjoy it tbh, but to each their own :)

-Z

I was gonna uprate the suspension anyways, so it should be ok. It doesnt have powa steering tho :o

are they worth any less to buy than a similar aged rev2?

also save me starting a new thread, has anyont got links to mr2 kits and parts.

cheers

My rev1 NA was a nightmare .. stock tyres and rims are pny and the snap oversteer is unpredictable ..

My rev2 Tubby is SO much better .. it "feels" nicer.

If you have a rev1, drop it and get better rims and good tyres and you'll get close to the rev2 handling ..

Mine had the 14" wheels when i got it, it was quite tail happy but with the 15" its fine and dandy!!

Neil

i love my Rev1 - though she is lowered to the deck on 18's!

it's tail happy in the wet, sure, but thats what makes driving it so much fun!

i love the feeling of an orange car on 18's drifting round corners in the wet - it looks so cool, and people just stop and stare!

My rev1 NA was a nightmare .. stock tyres and rims are pny and the snap oversteer is unpredictable ..

My rev2 Tubby is SO much better .. it "feels" nicer.

If you have a rev1, drop it and get better rims and good tyres and you'll get close to the rev2 handling ..

Did yours have power steering??

loved my rev 1 although it had rev 2 brakes, lowered suspension and 16's :) Was great fun on and off track and only span it once (in the wet at castle Combe)

they're great cars and you'll have a ball in it...

Sounds like i would be sorting most the problems anyways, new suspension/brakes.

Thanks for the advice, all i need to do now is look into how to fit powa steering!! :D

LOL!!!

The rev1 is the drivers car, a lot of motor critics say that the MR2 lost it after the first revision, it became too tame and heavy, even the more horses failed keep it up there.

If you learn how to drive it right you will have no problems at all.. a twitchy rear isnt a problem.

Just my opinion and I'm gonna be bias as I have a rev1..lol.

All you need to do is respect the car and you will be fine.

It is a fun drive tho!

A lot of motor critics also slated the Rev1 .. stating that the Rev3 was the best handling and should have been like that from the start ..

But I understand you'll defend the car you own ..

the critics slated it for general drivers, which they were quite right to do as thsi was actually the intended market, and possibly the majority of the owners. Having said that tho it wasnt really a choice between it being good/bad, but more so down to the preference of the driver. Those that pushed the car preferred the inital characteristics (majority of them neway!), whilst others that had no need for the overly-sensitive rev1 disliked it, hence embraced the geometry change of hte later rev's.

-Z

rev1 killer !!!

The way to go. Pure race machine. No Airbag, no side impact bars.... spins easily... great fun !!! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links