Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door self-locking

Alan_B

I had some items stolen from my car whilst it was parked in my drive overnight.  I thought I had locked the car but I suppose I forgot.  Is there any way I can:

• Make the doors self-lock after a while if left unlocked?
  • Get the car to respond differently when I use the remote to unlock the car if it is already unlocked?  That way I could at least tell if I forgot to lock it.

My model is a UK 2013 hybrid.  This has a standard ignition key with remote locking/unlocking.

Hi Alan,

Sadly as far as i know, you can't do either. I always pull the handle of the rear door just to make sure its locked.

Mine, annoyingly, self locks if I don't open a door within around 30 secs of unlocking it.

Are you aware that you have to press the lock button twice to deadlock it?

Sorry, I can't suggest anything other than to listen for that satisfying 'clunk' as it locks, or using the visual flash of the lights to confirm it's locked.

Anthony, I'm going to have to train myself to try the handle after 'locking' the car.

Tom, I'm not even aware of the difference between locked and deadlocked.

Thanks for the replies both.

2 hours ago, Alan_B said:

I'm not even aware of the difference between locked and deadlocked.

When deadlocked the car can't be opened from the inside.  For example the thief can't lean in through the window he just smashed and use the unlock buttons/handle.  To deadlock you usually lock the car twice within a couple of seconds.  The down side to deadlocking is... what happens if your Battery goes flat etc?

8 minutes ago, alan333 said:

When deadlocked the car can't be opened from the inside.  For example the thief can't lean in through the window he just smashed and use the unlock buttons/handle.  To deadlock you usually lock the car twice within a couple of seconds.  The down side to deadlocking is... what happens if your battery goes flat etc?

I'm sure you can still use the physical key to gain access, had a 2001 corolla with a Battery voltage of 4.2 and was able to open the door manually.

Hmm, how did they know car was unlocked? Watching you come home or just got lucky by checking random cars? 

I had believe it or not, the back plastic cover of the wing mirror stolen and the mirror itself! The clips on the driver side cover must of broke so left it.

Had to buy a cheap matte black cover and respray the other one so less likely to come back for it. Doesn't look as good as body coloured wing mirrors :sad:

Anyway, need to get into a habit of opening door handle to make sure the car is locked, even if you physically see the indicators flash and hear the locking sound. When you think back you usually remember you checked door handle.

How did the thief know the car was unlocked when I did not?  They went round all the cars in the street, it seems - my neighbour also had something stolen that same night, also without any forced entry.

I tried deadlocking the car and that works but when the car is double-locked this way it will not open even if the key is turned in the lock - so there is a risk involved.   

8 minutes ago, Alan_B said:

when the car is double-locked this way it will not open even if the key is turned in the lock

So how do you get in it?

Let me rephrase that: once deadlocked, the doors will not open unless you press the unlock button on the key.  Inserting the key into the lock and turning does not work.  

Does deadlocking work on newer models with smart entry?

It did on our 2011 Auris with keyless entry.  Touch the lock button twice in quick succession to deadlock.  You could also use the fob buttons with the same two presses.

• Like 1

I just tested it here, and it works! First lock is the normal "clunk", second lock is a "clank".

Doors are definitely unable to be opened by either handle (inside or out), or by attempting to operate the door lock and pulling the handle (it spring returns to locked and does nothing when operated).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links