Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 2.0 BMW engine oil

Carl1983

Hi

I bought a used 2016 avensis tourer with the 2.0 BMW unit. It was apparently serviced around 1300 miles ago and I dipped the oil tonight and it was black. Prior to this car I had a 2012 D4D and the engine oil in that after 11k still had a golden tinge to it, clearly a very clean engine. My question is, was the oil in my new car really changed or are these BMW units more dirty in that sense. I've attached the pics, dipstick is the old avensis after 11k, the tissue shoes the colour of the oil in the new avensis after just 1300 miles, it's black (ignore the golden colour oil on the tissue that's my hybrid I dipped before)

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4343.PNG

I'd say it's more likely that the oil wasn't changed when you think, or wasn't done so properly, perhaps the filter wasn't changed. Otherwise you have a serious engine issue that needs attention....

Hi Duggerz

thanks for your reply, do you have the same engine? I'm trying to find out if it's how the engine is , I'm leaning to the fact the main dealer hasn't actually changed the oil when they say they have!!

I bought a 2015 model at the end of November last year and the dealer was supposed to have serviced it just before collection, when being shown around the car the sales person removed the dipstick to show me how to check the oil and it was as black as yours so I protested that the oil had not been changed, the service book was then produced to reveal it had not been filled in, she then went to see the service manager who filled in the book and said it had definitely been done, I still don't believe it had, I will see how it is after the next service.

Perhaps we are both wrong and the BMW engine is like this?, or we have two dealers trying it on?, time will tell, My car had only done just over 5000 miles when I bought it and will probably be at the advised mileage next service.

Edit

I have now had a look at some BMW forums, it looks like this may well be normal for the BMW as even people who change their own oil say it is the case.

Wow, I stand corrected, but it looks very dirty to me! I have the earlier engine and the oil stays golden for a few thousand miles after changing, but I use flush. since your engine was fitted to earlier bmws I'd be more interested in what their owners who change themselves have to say than any dealer.

Quote "I'd be more interested in what their owners who change themselves have to say".

Me too read my post above, it seems that unless you flush them at oil change time a lot of dirty oil remains and turns the new oil black.

Normal for a diesel, charcoal colour is ok, black is bad. BMWs use long life oil (LL04) and service intervals are determined by 'conditional based service' (CBS) system. Generally, oil change is at 18,000 miles or 24 months. The 2.0 N47 diesel engine has been dogged with timing chain problems and post 2011 models are no better with chain rattle.

In Toyotas the BMW engine uses 5W-30 C3 low ash -

1 hour ago, TAuris said:

Normal for a diesel, charcoal colour is ok, black is bad. BMWs use long life oil (LL04) and service intervals are determined by 'conditional based service' (CBS) system. Generally, oil change is at 18,000 miles or 24 months. The 2.0 N47 diesel engine has been dogged with timing chain problems and post 2011 models are no better with chain rattle.

Thanks for the update, I've not reported any chain rattle and this doesn't concern me in the slightest. I'm aware this engine had timing chain issues in its early years but Toyota use a decent oil and have reduced the service interval compared to BMW so this illimanates any issues. 

It was nothing to do with the oil. There was a flaw in the design of the cam sprocket teeths, it would eat into the chain and the chain would snap.

7 hours ago, revband said:

I bought a 2015 model at the end of November last year and the dealer was supposed to have serviced it just before collection, when being shown around the car the sales person removed the dipstick to show me how to check the oil and it was as black as yours so I protested that the oil had not been changed, the service book was then produced to reveal it had not been filled in, she then went to see the service manager who filled in the book and said it had definitely been done, I still don't believe it had, I will see how it is after the next service.

Perhaps we are both wrong and the BMW engine is like this?, or we have two dealers trying it on?, time will tell, My car had only done just over 5000 miles when I bought it and will probably be at the advised mileage next service.

Edit

I have now had a look at some BMW forums, it looks like this may well be normal for the BMW as even people who change their own oil say it is the case.

Hi thanks for the reply

its good in one sense to hear you experienced the same as me. I've got customer relations looking into this as we speak because I've found out the dealer only gave this car an intermediate service instead of full. So I've just sent them the above picture and advised I'd question if the oil has even been changed. 

I love the car and have no issues but it just concerned me last night when I saw this oil. My previous tourer was still abit golden after 10k

thanks

1 minute ago, TAuris said:

It was nothing to do with the oil. There was a flaw in the design of the cam sprocket teeths, it would eat into the chain and the chain would snap.

Correct and that issue was fixed years ago. BMW are one of the leaders in derv tech so as I've mentioned above, timing chain doesn't bother me that's not my concern. It's about the colour of my oil after supposedly 1300 miles 

I would agree to a point re oil colour this is my fourth diesel Avensis and the oil colour has been variable but non as black as this, the best I had was a Supra which had oil that looked as fresh the day it came out as the day it went in.

Also not in the least concerned about the chain as said it was sorted a long time ago.

Looks normal, remember to change oil filter before you drain the oil. Engine flush is recommended whit oil changes.

• 2 years later...

I had a Rover 75 for 16 years with the BMW M47 diesel. The oil was always black after a few miles when serviced both by the main dealer and myself in later years. The car did 185000 miles and was still going strong and the engine never missed a beat. I now have a 2016 Toyota Avensis Estate with the 2.0L BMW diesel and had an oil changed and filter by my local trusted garage and the oil was black within a few miles. Hope that reassures you. The engine was one of the reasons I chose the car because of previous experience with the BMW unit.

29 minutes ago, John 44 said:

Hope that reassures you.

The topic is over two years old ....

Hi Karl

I have a 2005 2.2d which has an oil and filter change every year by a Toyota dealership. The car only covers about 3,500 miles a year. The oil is reasonable clean when I leave the garage and it is black when I get home after about 5 miles. I had reason to remove the cover on top of the engine revealing the camshaft. The engine was extremely clean inside with no sludge or gum deposits. So, although the oil was black you can tell by the condition of the oil that it was new oil. Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

Out of curiosity why did you need to remove the cam cover ? BTW I have a 2016 Excel too and a similar lack of trust over the standard of servicing and honesty of local Toyota dealer (West London).

Hi Ian

One of the bolts securing one of the injectors became loose.

Regards

Peter

I go to a dealership in Boston Lincolnshire. Have our 2 Toyota's serviced there.

It's called "Listers Toyota". I must be one of the lucky people because this dealership is trustworthy. A know all of the staff and they know me. I'm treated as friend with respect and honesty. I've been going there for 10 years +. I would NOT go anywhere else! I like to repair what I can myself and they fully support me with any advice I need together with the offer of a pair of overalls. Very reasonably priced too.

I fully trust what they say and I've never been let down.

That's saying something today isn't it?

Regards

Peter

• 1 year later...

I purchase a 2015 facelift Avensis 2.0D this time last year, It has a full main dealer service history and it had been serviced 3000 kms befire i got it..I changed  oil and filter using Castrol 05 w30edge long life oil just to be sure of quality and the oil i took out was black aswell, new oil was black after a drive as well.. seems to be common across all dpf engines nowadays as my 2015 Berlingo is the same and i service that at 6000miles which is haft of what the recommended interval is..

T

I suspect lots of garages now pump out the oil for a change rather than draining from the sump plug. When you use a pump if the small bore plastic pipe has any curve at the bottom end it will deflect upwards and will not pump to the bottom of the sump, so always some old black oil left. The first two times I used my pump I could only get about 4L out instead of 5L from my Avensis. The last time I changed the oil I straightened out the tube and got out a full 5L. Just a thought.

My Freelander TD4 with the 2.0 litre BMW diesel also blackened the oil very quickly after a change, whereas my D4D kept the oil so clean it was ages before it became easy to see the oil level on the dipstick. I would like to have the D4D in the Freelander. It seems a better engine, to me. I'm not sure how closely related the BMW engine is to the later BMW in the Toyotas, though.