Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Owner - MMT X-Shift problems

Cjohnston1982

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a Aygo Xclusiv TSS X-shift and have done around 1000 miles so far in two months.

I opted for the X-shift model and generally it's been ok but recently when shifting from N to E at traffic lights it beeps at me and flashes N which leaves me with no drive for a few seconds. My question is do I leave it in gear when at traffic lights (heard it slips the clutch when stationary) or do I continue to put it in N every time? What do other MMT drivers do?

Bear in mind the X-Shift is an automated manual gearbox, like its predecessor the Multi Mode Transmission.

Leaving it in gear at traffic lights will wear the clutch. When stationery at traffic lights, use N.

Could be a sign the clutch has become hot due to 'excessive load' (description from the full owners manual). I'd get it checked by a Toyota dealer.

I read about it wearing the clutch when stationary so I've been putting it into N at traffic lights. The trouble it doesn't always go into E and it leaves me stuck for up to 10 seconds?

I'd get it checked

It sometimes does it in reverse too but that causes me less problems. I can't believe a car that's less than 2 months old has issues already.

I'll be contacting Toyota first thing Monday morning. Thanks for your help.

Mine does that occasionally.  I just pop it back into N and try again.

Had it 18 months from new. Done 11k miles. Frankly apart from that transmission thing and the rear parcel cover being super flimsy rubbish and falling off now and then. It's been almost perfect.  

Under powered but not bad at all. For a city car it's good. It is what it is. It's not a motorway blaster!

That said my wife wants another car with a bit more oomph,  so off it goes.  Hello Suzuki Ignis Auto SZ5. 

I read reports that when the MMT is stationary, in gear and with the handbrake or footbrake on the clutch is still half engaged which is why I've been putting it into N every single time I stop at lights (like many people have suggested) which probably why I'm having so many problems.

I did a little experiment today where I put the car in E and very lightly pulled the handbrake till the light came on. The car would stop creeping till I push the handbrake down ever so slightly, light goes out and it creeps again. At least I know now the clutch completely disengages so I won't be putting it into N everytime I stop for a minute or two which should reduce the problems I've been having but we will see. Obviously if I'm stationary for long periods then I will still select N to reduce wear and tear on the release bearing.

As for the car, well it's brilliant. It is refined for a city car and holds itself on the motorway. I had a iQ before and every time I went up a slight incline on the motorway the car would struggle to maintain anything above 60mph and I had to change down to 4th, no such problem in the Aygo. The stereo is decent and the seats are comfortable and I'm getting around 56mpg daily now :) 

I've had a mk1 MMT Aygo for the last three years from new. She does the flashing N thing occasionally but as she's just passed her first MOT I'm not sure its due to any problems, just a glitch in the system. I don't put her into neutral unless we're stood at long work traffic lights or I've stopped with the engine still running as she beeps at me when I open the door to get out lol. I'm torn between getting an I10 with a 1.2 auto for the next car or getting the new model x play Aygo.  

CJohnston1982 do you press the foot brake (firmly) while putting the transmission onto E? Also, only release the foot brake AFTER the N light changes to E on the dash. Try it... should work. I believe the beeps are there because of dimwits in the US putting auto cars into D without their foot on the brake, and then the transmission 'creep' rolls them forward off a pier or into another car, etc. so the lawyers had a field day until car makers put extra safety features like this in. If this doesn't solve the mystery, then I agree with the posts above, that it will probably need to be re-adjusted by Toyota.

Mine works flawlessly. Fun driving around changing gears with the paddle shifters, Lewis Hamilton stylee :)

I've tried pressing the brake and holding like you suggested but it seems to make no difference. I now leave the car in E mode and have not had a single problem since while driving in stop-start traffic.

Occasionally it doesn't go into R straight away and beeps a couple of times but I'm not bothered about that as some manual cars are like that too where you have to lift and depress the clutch to get it into R.

13 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

I've tried pressing the brake and holding like you suggested but it seems to make no difference. I now leave the car in E mode and have not had a single problem since while driving in stop-start traffic.

Occasionally it doesn't go into R straight away and beeps a couple of times but I'm not bothered about that as some manual cars are like that too where you have to lift and depress the clutch to get it into R.

I think the reason why it does not go immediately to R is sort of a protective mechanism of the gearbox, so that you won't blowup your gears. 

Sounds like they have not improved much on the newer MMT gearboxes.

CJohnstone1982 it sounds like it needs an adjustment. Mine doesn't do that, and you shouldn't have to leave it in gear all the time. Yes, the clutch plate is pushed back, but there is still some friction and wear on the transmission. A car on axle stands, when put in gear with the clutch depressed, will still turn the wheels.

Maybe get a passenger to video the problem, so you can show the dealer?

Keep us posted!

Thank you for all your replies. I'll see how the next few weeks go and if it continues to misbehave I'll let Toyota look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2014 x-shift x-clusiv and have never had this issue going from N to E or M, but do sometime get it going into Reverse.

The X-Shift is a clunky gearbox experience and not one I'm in a hurry to experience again any time soon. I now use manual mode most of the time and since doing this I've seen much better fuel consumption.

• 3 years later...
On 3/19/2017 at 12:49 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

Thank you for all your replies. I'll see how the next few weeks go and if it continues to misbehave I'll let Toyota look at it.

Hi

I'm having exactly the issue you described. I sent my local Toyota centre a video of the issue occuring, but as they cannot replicate it at the centre (doesn't happen all the time for me) they said there is nothing they can do. Did you end up getting yours sorted? i'm curious as to how to start about doing this as my car is also barely used 

Hi, I now drive a different Toyota with a CVT gearbox which is completely different to the x-shift gearbox.

I remember leaving the gearbox in E when stuck in traffic like I mentioned earlier in this thread which completely solved the problem. 

As long as the gearbox goes into E within a couple of seconds when first starting off then it's okay.