Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.33 Fuel tank capacity

OrangeTwist

Hi all, my first post here as a new Yaris owner, we have a lovely brand new Orange Edition 1.33 petrol.

just one gripe im trying to get to grips with, the wife complains it's not good on fuel, and making frequent visits to refill, doing 200 mile to a tank. My first view was to establish the MPG on the trip computer, which was showing 31mpg, given the short trips for the school run, to work and to the shops I didnt think was too bad, of course we'd like better.  Workign the MPG out on paper, ie tank to tank, it works out similar.

Because of the relatively short range from a full tank, my next thought turned to whats the capacity of the tank. The handbook and on line spec all suggest a 42 litre capacity. I've checked her fuel receipts for how much fuel each fill has taken, ranges between 30 & 33 litres. I asked her when does she fill it up, at a 1/4 level? Turns out she runs it bone dry, to the point the light is on and the range meter only displays 2 dashes, (the theory is shes never far from a fuel station....eyes rolling!) :rolleyes1:

So it seems she can only get 33 litres into a 42 litre tank, from rock bottom empty...my curiosity starts to wonder here, surely there cant be a near 10 litre reserve? I'd expect a 5 litre reserve when the guages show empty? Any way stay with me here.... while researching fuel tank sizes I noted the hybrid version has a 35 litre tank capacity, made me think could it have the wrong tank in it?

2 weeks ago we dropped it into the dealer, after spending much time with the 'first defence line' in the service department trying to explain my theory and to be understood, I eventually managed to talk to the tech who understood where I was coming from - his disgnosis in the end was inconclusive, suggesting that he could not find any identifying marks on the fuel tank therfore could not establish at this visit if the correct tank is fitted.  A call to Toyota was needed, and he would request to change the fuel tank as a precaution. He also said there have been some fuel tank issues on Yaris of late?  

Wow...i thought to myself, perhaps I'm not mad afterall and there could be somehting in my theory, after all, 30 years in the motor trade myself, i've seen a few misbuild cars.

The long and short of this now is that 2 weeks later, having to chase the dealer on the outcome, Toyota declined the fuel tank change, suggesting this was normal, a 5 litre reserve and 7 litre displacement/capacity from the fuel sender/pump unit.  I've challenged the dealer on the latter part, a 7 litre displacement from the sender and fuel pump - thats a hefty size fuel pump then!

While i'm waiting the feedback on my challenge, i shall be calling Toyota customer service to query this.

My question to you guys is, and this could completely throw my theory out the window, how much fuel are you able to put in your yaris?

Thanks for reading my ramblings  :biggrin:

I've never managed to get more than 36 litres into mine ('14 reg. 1.3 petrol). That was after running for 30 miles with the light on and the needle on the stop before I chickened out.

7 litres does seem excessive for a pump and sender, sure they don't mean 0.7 litres?

The fuel tank capacity for petrol versions is 42 litres. The low fuel light comes on when approx. 5.8 litres are left.

However, as is the case with some other Toyotas (eg the Avensis), the low fuel light may come on when there is approx. 5.8 litres remaining and before the actual reserve is hit.

Just seems that Toyota err on the side of caution.

Mine officially has a 35 L tank, and I've put 34 L into it. I'm never ever doing THAT again! I had to drive about 50 miles beyond the light, and then I kept driving after the needle went below empty... I think I could have driven 70 miles after the light came on, but that was with steady driving at optimum speed to maximize fuel economy, and I would likely run it out of fuel at that point.

(EDIT: That fits with what FROSTYBALLS above wrote. It would mean when the light comes on in the Yaris Hybrid, there is approx. 5.3 L remaining.)

I reset trip 2 when the light comes on, and watch the mileage after that.

The computer lies for sure. Mine is sat at just over 1/4 tank, with 120 miles on the clock since I filled up with 20 L of fuel. Range shows 80 miles remaining. I know I'm good for at least another 120 miles, so the computer is being pessimistic by 40 miles. Current average MPG recorded by the computer is 61.

When my range hits 0 I can put in 33, so I think the range zeros at 10l left and the light at about half that.

• 1 year later...

My range reads 16 miles but the fuel light has still not come on.  Does that mean the warning light is not working? 

Is the gauge showing nearly empty? If so, I'd I'd put some fuel in as soon as and not rely on a warning lamp. The computer could well be very pessimistic too and the actual range is much more. It's only an indication.

Also see FB's post from March 2017.