Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2005 - Chain Distribution change interval

ddcristi

Hello all..

I have just bought 2005 Toyota Aygo (1.0 petrol engine) for my girlfriend and I don't really know very much about this car. I know it has a chain distribution and despite searching for information about it on this forum, I couldn't find any. The car has about 180.000 km on-board and I was wandering if it wouldn't be a good time to change the chain distribution on the car. I don't know the service intervals for this chain distribution. Can anybody tell me where I can find that information?

I will change the oil and all the filters very soon, but I don't know about the distribution. I have searched on the internet and I'm getting mixed and contradictory information about it. Some people say, since it's chain not belt, you don't have to change it ever... others say you have to change it after 300.000 km... I can't seem to find the "informed answer"..

Thanks, Cristian

With any chain driven engine, servicing is vital for the life of the chain. Has the car been regularly serviced on the 10,000 miles (or km equivelent)? 

As far as I know it's good for the life of the engine, however if the oil hasn't been changed when it should it would wear the chain. If the car's been serviced properly and within the guidelines set, I'd say it's alright to keep driving it.

Thanks for the quick answer.. :)

Unfortunately I don't really know the history of the car.. From now on, I'll make sure it's properly serviced, but what happened to it until I bought it, I can't really say. 

The car is in a pretty good shape, so I guess it was properly maintained, but I can't be sure... It has no rust, no accident marks, the engine sounds good..

The question is: does the Aygo service manual say when the distribution chain should be changed?

Thanks, Cristian

From going on what my Peugeot 107 says (same car, different badge) there's no mention of changing the chain at any point. So, from that point of view, it doesn't need to be changed.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but many owners in the same position will be looking at it in the future, global warming permitting.

To get a rough Idea of how well it’s been looked after, from at least the first three years of any cars life, go on the U gov check a vehicles MOT History site.

Unless you have any genuine service history for those three years, the mileage could have been tampered with or another clock fitted.I knew a high mileage owner driver in the eighties who used to disconnect his immaculate VW Polo’s cable from the gearbox for the periods in between services, and on trading in on a new car with the VW dealer you wouldn’t have known any different!

The MOT history can tell you a lot.If the Tyres are almost bald year after year, it’s unlikely high quality oil or other components have been used  during servicing or any other maintenance.Its very common to see the same Failures and Advisories appearing over the next few years intermittently, that’s a sign of dodgy certificates somewhere along the way.Showing as well, how inefficiently the DVSA operates in the technological world.Its a good job the Government can maintain its income through average speed cameras, double yellow lines, speed limits and oversized box junctions to name but a few.

If you open the engine oil filling cap (while the engine is shut off) you can see the timing chain just under it. It might give you an idea on how bad it is. But you only get to see section by section.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links