Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm goes off, when passengers are inside, and car is locked

priusnoob

As above really

First, let me clarify. I don't just lock up my passengers :D Say I need something from Asda, and my passengers don't particularly want to tag along, and would rather just wait in the car, the car alarm will start sounding, when I lock the car door and they're still inside. - it won't start going off immediately, but give it say five minutes and the car's alarm will start going off.

Does any one know how to..stop this from happening? 

Can you not just disable interior alarm?

On the Gen 2 there is a button somewhere that disables the ultrasonic part of the alarm.  It's quite a few years now since I drove a Gen 2, so I can't remember exactly where, but think it's under the steering wheel somewhere or maybe near the interior light switch.

Another option is to use the emergency key to lock it, as that doesn't set the alarm.

If the passenger doors are all locked, and you open the driver's door (which unlocks it), I think you can manually move the internal lock tab to re-lock it then hold the outside door handle in the 'out' position as you close the door, which will leave the door locked and the alarm off.

19 minutes ago, PeteB said:

On the Gen 2 there is a button somewhere that disables the ultrasonic part of the alarm.  It's quite a few years now since I drove a Gen 2, so I can't remember exactly where, but think it's under the steering wheel somewhere or maybe near the interior light switch.

Another option is to use the emergency key to lock it, as that doesn't set the alarm.

If the passenger doors are all locked, and you open the driver's door (which unlocks it), I think you can manually move the internal lock tab to re-lock it then hold the outside door handle in the 'out' position as you close the door, which will leave the door locked and the alarm off.

Emergency key? I think I've pressed that button before, but it still went off

39 minutes ago, Hpaul said:

Can you not just disable interior alarm?

I pressed a button before - it's in an awkward place, but it still went off

1 minute ago, priusnoob said:

Emergency key?

the small metal key embedded in the remote fob.  The alarm is only set when you operate the remote to lock it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

the small metal key embedded in the remote fob.  The alarm is only set when you operate the remote to lock it.

I see. Thanks. I might have to try that next time!

1 minute ago, priusnoob said:

I pressed a button before - it's in an awkward place, but it still went off

Did someone open a door or turn something on (like interior light)?

The button should disable the ultrasonic part, but the voltage change detection still operates.  You have to press the button and lock the car within a certain time - 30 sec I think.

Just now, PeteB said:

Did someone open a door or turn something on (like interior light)?

The button should disable the ultrasonic part, but the voltage change detection still operates.  You have to press the button and lock the car within a certain time - 30 sec I think.

I can safely say..no to that one tbh. I might also have left it too long? I dunno

In a similar situation (Tesco not Asda) I don't lock the doors and leave the key with my adult passenger. Disabling the interior movement sensor should allow you to lock the doors with someone in the car - that is why the button is there. If you do not leave the key in the car then walk away I think the system does a alarm set after 30 seconds.

quick  question why lock passangers in the car, if they are children they should never be locked in the car, if adults why lock the doors?

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that you can disable the interior motion sensor using the fob.

Press once locks the doors and arms the alarm.

Press twice and it locks, deadlocks and arms the alarm.

Press three times and it locks but does not arm the alarm. Used if you leave a dog in the car.

I am sure this is mentioned in the user manual.

23 hours ago, Sooty said:

Press three times and it locks but does not arm the alarm. Used if you leave a dog in the car.

Not on the gen3 Prius.  Not sure about gen4.

Hi on the gen 4 on the top small MFD  it askes if you want to disable the interior sensor every time  you turn off the car

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:38 AM, ian rooke said:

quick  question why lock passangers in the car, if they are children they should never be locked in the car, if adults why lock the doors?

If children, drag them out with you.

If adults, they might be scared of being carjacked.....

You shouldn't lock anyone, adult or child, inside a modern car with security deadlocks. In an emergency if the doors are deadlocked they would have no way of getting out as the doors cannot be unlocked from inside. On Toyotas the deadlocks only operate on the second push of the remote button but it's something to be aware of. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

On Toyotas the deadlocks only operate on the second push of the remote button but it's something to be aware of. 

That's been true of very car I've used with deadlocking.

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

That's been true of very car I've used with deadlocking.

It's probably more the norm, but for years I was used to VW group cars where the deadlocks operate on the first button push. On those you need to push the button twice to disable the deadlocks. I've known quite a few VW owners always push the button twice thinking they were deadlocking the car when actually they were turning the deadlocks off!  A Citroën I used to own had that set up too. On early Peugeots with deadlocking the first button push activated the deadlocks and the second disabled them, then later Peugeots switched to the opposite method. Unfortunately you can't always take this for granted unless you know the particular car. 

• Like 1