Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting rid of scrapes on new paintwork

cumbrialass

Small question but you know what it's like when your car is new. Someone scraped my door..White paint.after carefully wiping I have finally removed the paint but there is a scrape 4 inches long and an inch wide ( 9cm x 2.5 .. the scrapes  look like its in the varnish..I used the T cut red Wax polish as its not abrasive  I and it  seemed to have gone but...the wierd thing is, when it's wet it is complete invisible . But now it's dry I can see it again 

So, what should I do ? What should I put on / use..? Help please!

Sounds like what you have done while removing the paint scrape is also to have removed the laquer on your paint finish... when water is covering the mark (deviod of laquer), it is giving the appearance of a laquer finish; when dry you are then looking at the raw paint (probably looks a bit duller than the original finish).  You need to check your paint finish codes and perhaps obtain the correct spray laquer for your trim colour.  My old Rav4 has a paint code and a laquer to cover the paint.  It is possible to spray the laquer on yourself, then when dry, gently rub down (1200 grit/soapy water then a finishing polish) to merge in wth the existing laquer.  However, if you don't feel conifdent in doing this yourself on a new car... you might want to employ the services of a paint finisher.  I have done this myself many times and have managed to obtain quite acceptable results. Best of luck...

Thanks where would I get a paint finish code ? My Rav is registered Sept 2014 and is Vermilion red.

Would I get that from a Toyota garage?

I'll ask round and see if someone could it without costing a fortune.

But to start with.Would putting on a high quality wax help? Autoglym ?

Hi Kath, you will find your paint code under the bonnet on a plate that is near the bonnet catch. This plate has all the numbers for your motor

Del

• Like 1

Hi Kath...

Using a wax polish may get you somewhere near a laquer finish... but will probably wash off over time.  Plus, if you put a wax polish over the raw paint you may irritrievably alter it's basic colour and you will certainly have to remove any wax to apply laquer.  Your paint trim codes should be on the vehicle VIN plate... possibly riveted on your engine bay bulkhead or in a door jam.  If you have the original owners manual and docs you may also find it in there... or pay a visit to Mr.Toyota.  I would not advise leaving the paint exposed to the elements for to long else the paint may become tarnished (or contaminated with diesel particulate contaminates LOL); then you will never get the original paint colour back...

My old Rav4 is a metallic paint finish with laquer top... however, I am pretty sure that even the solid plain paint finishes have a laquer top to give them a tough finish.

Thanks. When I had my last Rav I got some touch up paint and 

Laquer and used that on a deep scratch..

I suppose I'm going to have to ask Toyota.. Annoying that the nearest Toyota garage is 60 miles away!

I can't believe a small scratch is going to cause so much hassle!

Kath, it may pay to google for some local mobile paint finishers.  They specilise in all these little scrapes and dings and I don't think that they are too expensive;  anyhow, won't do any harm to get some quotes.  As I say, if it was my vehicle I would do it myself... my metallic and laquer spray tins reside in my kitchen cupboard ready for to go when I have a scrape :smile:  I must admit I am more concerned about scapes down to bare metal where rust can get in than I am for just a paint or laquer scrapes!

I collect guitars... it's always the first ding on a new one that hurts, after that, subsequent ones just add to the street cred LOL

• Like 1

Thanks.. It's true..The first ding always seems the worst.! 

I ll have a Google for mobile paint finisher s ( I have a feeling I have seen a mobile van in the area) and perhaps  getting a laquer spray..May be brave and have a go!!! The laquer Toyota  sold me for the last car was clear and in a  a small bottle with a buffer on the pad. I used that but on some deep scratches. From what you're saying are some laquers coloured . My Rav is vermilion red...Presume, once i have the paint code I can get it from Halfords

My tablet keeps putting lawyer instead of laquer! Lol

The paint code is on the VIN plate, which was in the door ingo on our Toyotas.  It's a combination of three digits - something like 3R3.

Have you definitely rubbed through the lacquer?  Maybe post a pic if you can.  If you're not through to the bare paint there's a chance a good rubbing compound can smooth it over.  The bodyshops use Farcla G3 on their machine polishers, but it can also be used by hand.  You'd be amazed at the scratches I've buffed out over the years using it.  

• Like 1

I don't think it is down to the bare paint..When it's wet it looks like the marks never been there.  Surface is completely smooth When it's dry it looks more like a  a white smudge. I will get a photo taken later. Cars in the drive and its pouring

Try some G3 on it then, it's like T-Cut but a bit stronger.  You can buy tubes in Halfords or eBay etc.  Just apply with a damp/wet cloth and some elbow grease, then buff up with a dry cloth.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan Ill try that!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links