Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaking noise as wheel spins

Prokash

I have a Toyota Auris 2007 1.6 vvti. As I drive for about 15 minutes, a squeaking sound appears which comes and goes with the rotation of the wheels. The noise disappears when the brakes are applied. When I steer left a loud whining noise then appears. This noise too disappears when the brakes are applied. After driving along with the noise and then leaving the car stationary for a while, the noise disappears. Then once again after 15 minutes of driving the same noises appear once more. I suspect both noises are coming from the front wheels, specifically the left wheel. The appearance of the noise from the start of driving makes me believe something heats up as the front wheels are spinning producing the squeaking noise. Once that something cools down the noise disappears. 

The brake pads and discs are 100% fine on all wheels as they were changed recently. I can also confirm the callipers are fine as I had them inspected by a mechanic. 

At first I thought this could be a wheel bearing problem but most noise symptoms for a faulty wheel beating are rumbling or humming noises. 

If anyone has had this problem I truly appreciate a response as I do not not want to continue pouring money into fixes that do not fix the problem. 

I had this problem almost exact sane symptoms and it was a front wheel bearing. I tried plenty of other fixes, none worked. mechanic should be able to tell by spinning the wheels and listening which if this is the case.

10 hours ago, Duggerz said:

I had this problem almost exact sane symptoms and it was a front wheel bearing. I tried plenty of other fixes, none worked. mechanic should be able to tell by spinning the wheels and listening which if this is the case.

Thanks for the reply. Which side wheel bearing would you say it is in my case? From my driving position I seem to here the noise coming from the front left. Would that mean the front left wheel bearing is the culprit? 

If the noise happens when you steer left then it's the right wheel bearing.

• 2 weeks later...

I showed my car to the mechanic who spun the front wheels and claims the wheel bearing are fine. He seemed very adamant the the only signs of a bad wheel bearing is a humming or rumbling noise, not the squeaking noise I'm getting. Not entirely sure if I should trust his opinion there. 

I can confirm that I was getting a squeaking when mine went pear shaped. I could hear it from inside when turning right as it was the left bearing, and it was always worse when the car had done some miles, as in warmed up. Replacing the wheel bearing cured the problem completely. I suppose at a pinch it could be the abs sensor, but really it's not likely. Whatever you find though please let us know!

32 minutes ago, Duggerz said:

I can confirm that I was getting a squeaking when mine went pear shaped. I could hear it from inside when turning right as it was the left bearing, and it was always worse when the car had done some miles, as in warmed up. Replacing the wheel bearing cured the problem completely. I suppose at a pinch it could be the abs sensor, but really it's not likely. Whatever you find though please let us know!

Well i had the front left wheel bearing replaced today and it's not sorted the problem, still getting the squeaking noises. To top it all of as the mechanic was working on the car he left the brake calliper dangling by the line and now my brake pedal feels spongy 😡. Going to be taking the car back to him tomorrow to bleed the brakes. As for the squeaking noise, I'm completely Clueless on what to do now.

Dues the sound get louder worth the nearside window down? I just had a thought, could it be coming from the heater? There are flaps in there that may squeak, I know mine does when turning right, I just can't be bothered to fix it. In my case the sound deadener had worn away leaving metal to metal contact. Low probability I know but this issue sounds like one of those esoteric ones.

I haven't had a problem with my current car, but the previous one had a very similar issue with similar symptoms.  The rear near side brake would stick on intermittently, so when it was inspected the first time, no one could find an issue, it only came to light when the one brake pad wore down to near metal.  Ended up being a dodgy caliper that had to be replaced as well as a pair of rear brake pads.

4 hours ago, Gathelios said:

I haven't had a problem with my current car, but the previous one had a very similar issue with similar symptoms.  The rear near side brake would stick on intermittently, so when it was inspected the first time, no one could find an issue, it only came to light when the one brake pad wore down to near metal.  Ended up being a dodgy caliper that had to be replaced as well as a pair of rear brake pads.

Highly doubt mines having that same problem. I had both rear callipers and pads replaced 2 months ago with Brembo branded ones. I had callipers changed thinking the piston's weren't going in and out properly but even with the brand new callipers I've had no luck. The front discs and pads are brand new as well. 

• 5 months later...

Had this problem fixed a few months back now. The culprit was the rear calipers which were seized. I had indeed swapped them out for new ones earlier but has not replaced the brake pads alongside them which had worn down at angle causing the horendous squeaking and whining noises.

The way to test what wheels the noise is coming from is by using the handbrake. As you drive and the noise is audible, pull up the hand brake slowly which slowly starts to slow down the rear wheels. If the noise disappears it means the rear wheel are the source of the noise. If the noise. Is still there then the front wheels are the source of the noise. 

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have the same problem with my auris 2008. 
I have more a month that I take auris.

I have the same problems with noise, it hapen after 20min I driving a car. If I turn off car engine and turn on after 5 min or more the noise disappears.

I changed front brake pads and clear calipers. but the problem is again, 

Now I read this I will go to check the rear caliper, because one is new when I bought the car.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem, although right hand side, as I drive after a few mins the squeal starts, turning the wheel turns in to slightly different pitch, my guess the bearings are rubbing or faulty ... naff car to be honest 

Edited by paul12777777
missed a word

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links