Do Not Sell My Personal Information

30k service!

ArthurPewty

Hi people, just a quick question about my up coming 30k service,

I have been told that i can get it done anywhere, ie my usual local independent garage, as long as they are a vat registered business, which they are. i am just concerned that if something needs to be be done on warranty that Mr. T will find "a problem" with work not done by them. As far as i understand, the 30k service is basically an oil and filter change, a few recommended filter changes and a visual check of the car overall. The 20k service was only done back in October so just the oil stuff will be good i think!

Any advice much appreciated...

Cheers guys :)

Under Block Exemption one can have a vehicle serviced at a VAT registered garage without affecting the new car warranty, provided parts, etc of equivalent quality are used and the service regime is followed. In the event of a warranty claim, if servicing is challenged, it is down to the owner to prove that these conditions were met.

However, servicing outside the dealer network would mean losing any goodwill from the manufacturer should a major repair occur - goodwill works both ways.

Thanks :) its just £160 from Mr.T, or about £80 from my usual garage, been going there for years, loyalty an all that :) £160 is a lot for an oil change!!!

Your choice/risk

I have personally had all the servicing done on my Aygo by the Toyota dealer, as it is still under warranty. Yes, it is quite a bit more than an independent garage, but I totally agree with FROSTYBALLS' comments. It's for complete peace of mind.

Saying that, on my last major service, they adjusted my handbrake, so that it was factory spec tight again. I had noticed it wasn't holding the car as it should, but totally forgot to mention it when I put it in for service. I picked it up and it had been adjusted, which shows that they actually do give it a good test and check over. My dealer anyway :smile:

I'm hoping to trade in at the 5 year point for a much younger Aygo, where I will carry on the Toyota servicing until that runs out of warranty.

• Like 1

I will never get my head around why anyone who can afford the outlay of buying a new vehicle (and hence would usually be under a manufacturer's warranty) would then take the risk of using a local garage, however reputable, to carry out the servicing of said vehicle just to save a few pounds! :huh:

4 hours ago, CPN said:

I will never get my head around why anyone who can afford the outlay of buying a new vehicle (and hence would usually be under a manufacturer's warranty) would then take the risk of using a local garage, however reputable, to carry out the servicing of said vehicle just to save a few pounds! :huh:

£160 for an oil & filter change, plus a free valet where they smear a dirty rag over the windows is taking the pee. My main dealer also try to charge an additional few quid for a windscreen washer top-up and a new key fob Battery - both unasked for. My previous car still had its original key-fob Battery performing its task admirably after eleven years!

This is unfortunately necessary to retain the original warranty.

I look forward to the day when my car's five years old and I can do these jobs myself, along with my annual brake dismantle, clean, check and lube.

When you compare Toyota's fixed price servicing with other marques fixed price service schemes, it isn't too badly priced.

Toyota (Yaris) intermediate £160 - full £290

Vauxhall from £149

VW minor £164 - major £324

The main difference is that the Vauxhall and VW fixed price schemes are for cars over three years old, whereas Toyota's fixed price scheme is for cars within warranty - from 1 year or 10,000 miles.

Toyota Essentials for cars over five years old, charges £100 for the silver service, and £180 for gold (for engines under 2.2 litres).

16 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

£160 for an oil & filter change, plus a free valet where they smear a dirty rag over the windows is taking the pee. My main dealer also try to charge an additional few quid for a windscreen washer top-up and a new key fob battery - both unasked for. My previous car still had its original key-fob battery performing its task admirably after eleven years!

This is unfortunately necessary to retain the original warranty..

It's a bit more than an oil & filter change. My dealer provides windscreen washer fluid & fob batteries foc (just as well as the smart entry system in this car eats batteries compared to the non on my old Avensis).

You don't need to take it to a Toyota dealer to retain the original warranty but it must be serviced at the intervals mandated by Toyota with consumables that meet or exceed Toyota standards (& be able to prove it in the event of a claim). However, taking it out of the dealer network may affect any goodwill considerations should there be a need.

You've bought a car that will give you many years of reliable, trouble free motoring, so why not give it the dealer TLC it deserves.

I owned an Alfa Romeo GTV many years ago, and even dealer servicing didn't save it from the countless issues it had over the time that I owned it.

Well, I'd check out the rep of the dealer first - Not all Toyota dealers are the same!

The two nearest me are a Jemca franchise and a Hills franchise and the Hills one is just so much better than the Jemca one.

Back when I still had all my hair this site had a dealer ratings section which disappeared 2 or 3 'face-lifts' ago, and I really miss it (And I'm sure Kingo misses it too since his dealership was always at the top!!!)

I too have had a Yaris 3rd year service today and £160 for an oil change on a motor with such easy access is having a laugh, must have took 'em all of 20 minutes!

Even allowing for the outrageous price of the oil and filter that still works out at £240 an hour from a dealer in one of the poorest parts of the country.

I did have a 'grumble' at the service reception staff and they were adamant that the prices are set by Mr T and they weren't allowed to charge less, however, whilst I waited for a price on a new wiper blade a fellow near me paid his bill, though I don't know what he was driving, at £130.

The wiper blade was £19.10 so I gave it a miss, must be a suitable blade out there at less?

3 hours ago, Berisford said:

I did have a 'grumble' at the service reception staff and they were adamant that the prices are set by Mr T and they weren't allowed to charge less,

actually they are " Prices correct as at April 2016 and are the maximum retail price. Authorised Toyota Service Centres are free to offer prices lower than above." (my highlighting)

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

actually they are " Prices correct as at April 2016 and are the maximum retail price. Authorised Toyota Service Centres are free to offer prices lower than above." (my highlighting)

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

I did allude to the obvious that if someone wanted to sell something cheaper or give a discount.........deaf ears, but my dealer does use young girls in front of house.

Interesting page that Scott, so as far as I can see, no matter where you go in the country, rich or poor, £160 would be the price for a year 3 service on a Yaris, hardly fair that.......

31 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Interesting page that Scott, so as far as I can see, no matter where you go in the country, rich or poor, £160 would be the price for a year 3 service on a Yaris, hardly fair that.......

No different to the fixed price servicing schemes and servicing packs (not plans) that other manufacturers use.

The labour costs included are probably an average across the country, rather than based on the most expensive, and this is why the scheme isn't mandatory for dealers to offer, although the majority do.

As far as I'm aware, and before the fixed price service scheme, main dealer service costs were never based on the affluence of the area the dealer was in - more probably based on the time estimate for each service provided by the manufacturer and the dealer's individual overheads.

The average labour rate in 2016 for franchised and non-franchised dealers, was £74.33 - from a range of average rates between £58.46 (Angus) to £91.99 (London).

19 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No different to the fixed price servicing schemes and servicing packs (not plans) that other manufacturers use.

My experience of VW (our other car) dealers fixed price servicing is that the further away from the city we go the cheaper it becomes, not a great deal I'll admit (£275 v £310) but either way, cheaper and, based on your closing line Mike, rightly so.

Regarding buying new cars then going to independents for servicing - it's largely consumer preference, and the fact that not all dealers are born equal (all are good at selling, but some not so good at after-sales service - where it matters IMHO).

As an aside, when I bought my car, I considered network servicing costs as part of the equation. Sure, I'm paying more than at my local independent, but should I ever have a problem requiring serious warranty work, I can simply say "I did everything I should have, when I should have, at your dealership!". Hopefully I never have the need, but it's worth the extra £50 to be able to do that.

• Like 1