Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Battery Drain

Brutus62

I have a 2013 registered Yaris T Spirit 1.4.  I bought this from new. After recently having left it for 7 nights while on holiday, I tried to start the engine only to find that the Battery was completely dead. Forced to call the emergency services who found tat the Battery was ok although it had lost all charge. After roadside charge up the Battery was once again tested an pronounced sound, i.e. holding charge as expected. Report of the incidence cited a parasitic charge fault which could not be immediately identified. Recomended to refer to dealership. After three days at the local dealership, I have been told that no such parasitic charge fault had been identified and that the problem lay in the low mileage of the vehicle (34500). Whilst this is not, admittedly, an average of 10,000 per year, it's not so low. Basically now I am faced with the option of either keeping the vehicle with a regime of having to charge the battery each week to ensure that it can be reliable for ad hoc  usage, or else change the vehicle for something a bit more robust.

I have noticed that this Toyota/Yaris (and other models) Battery Drain is not uncommon, and provided the alternator is working effectively and the existing Battery is not at end of life, remains thus far, explained by any official body. I hope that someone may get able to offer some more positive advice for me than the trickle charge option which seems a little impractical for normal life.

Incidentally, I also own an old Citroen C5, which is used only very infrequently ( less than 2000 one year) which is generally covered in dust grime and bird mess, but without fail, always turns over and starts easily without the slightest hesitation. Interesting.

Edited by Brutus62
Typos

Oooh, that's interesting...

This sort of thing has hit the hybrid owners, but I think you're the first to have mentioned it on a non-hybrid, esp. a diesel!

From what I've read from other people, it sounds like the problem is the Keyless Entry system which, since you have a T-Spirit I assume you have.

It seems to be more common with owners who store their keys 'near' the car - The theory is the ECU sends out pings for the key at regular intervals and, if it gets a reply, it goes into a slightly more alert state which draws more power.

Storing the keys on the other side of the house apparently helps?
It might be worth checking with Toyota to see if they have an ECU update to fix it too.

Thanks for the response Cyker, but I fear this is probably not a proximity issue for the keyless entry system, as our keys are always well distant from the car when not in use. We have recently had issues with one of the keyfobs but this seemed to be resolved when fob battery was changed.

An enigma.

Is this just a 1 off or has it happened before? You didn't by any chance leave the courtesy light on (I'll admit to having done that)? 

It has indeed happened before Heidfirst. It also happened after the car having stood for a week or so, but that time I was informed that the probability was that the boot light had stayed on when the boot had been shut due to the pressure resistance of the passenger cabin. After replacing the Battery that time on recommendation, I have religiously ensured the boot light off after boot closure since then (parcel shelf removed so that it can be seen). I also double check all the various interior light being off after the engine is shut down and the door have been locked for the very reason you gave suggested ( based on Web comments I am aware of from other car owners).

Sorry, no.......not the lights left on

Such a problem isn't a reason to change the vehicle (unless of course you regularly leave the vehicle for weeks).

After 18 months of ownership of a Hybrid, and sometimes going a week before using it, I've yet to experience anything looking like low 12V Battery.

Do you do many short journeys? It's possible that your usage pattern preceding the low Battery condition was a cause.

The Hybrids apparently go around 3 weeks before the 12V Battery becomes an issue, and of course it is much smaller, too.

I'd suggest getting a battery conditioner charger and leaving it on the battery when your vehicle is parked at home.

My hybrid stood in the drive for about 9 weeks last year when I had a month in hospital then couldn't drive for 6 weeks afterwards. Although I bought a new Battery charger before I went in, I never needed it as the car started normally as soon as I pressed the button.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, eyemdee said:

My hybrid stood in the drive for about 9 weeks last year when I had a month in hospital then couldn't drive for 6 weeks afterwards. Although I bought a new battery charger before I went in, I never needed it as the car started normally as soon as I pressed the button.

Which have you got fitted, keyless entry? or remote central locking?

Having read those things are the reason why the Battery runs down quicker.

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

Which have you got fitted, keyless entry? or remote central locking?

Having read those things are the reason why the battery runs down quicker.

Remote central locking with keyless start. I think all UK Yaris hybrids were this spec when I bought mine.

Definitely can not complain at 9 weeks :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has the smart entry, so it'll last much less time, from the reports people are making about it.

On all Hybrids, regardless of spec, they have the keyless start.