Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leak in boot

monkeyboy3

Hi

I have a 2012 Aygo Fire.  There is water coming in to the boot, bottom drivers side.  I have attached photos.

I have so far applied silicone  round the light highlighted in red in the photo as I thought the water was getting in here, so I silconed, sprayed a hose over the light and no water.  Dried it all off and hosed the car again from the top of the car right side and water coming in, applied more silicone around the rubber trim as highlighted in the photos and hosed again, water still coming in.

Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions where else it can be coming in from?  

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Please update your profile to include the Aygo

Hiya

I also have a 2012 Aygo Fire and had the exact same problem, my car was still under manufactures warranty so the garage took my car in for 3 days and resealed the whole car, seemingly a fault with this model.  The water ruined my parking sensor box also which Toyota wouldn't fix as they said the water damaged wasn't the cause for the sensor box to fail.   I still have bother with condensation within my rear lights.

• Like 1

Thanks

yeah I contacted Toyota as I have a 12 month Warranty when I bought the car from them to see if this was covered, but they need to see the car first!! Was hoping there was a quick/easy fix I could apply to save the hassle of the car being away for a few days. 

That's good then....yeah bit of a pain not having it for 3 days, but saves having a wet car....

Hi Joanne8017,

I actually started a post about condensation in the rear lights, this morning, before this thread started. I also have a 2012 Aygo Fire and although I don't seem to have a wet boot, I do have a condensation problem in the back light clusters.

I was wondering, after you said that this seems to be a problem with the Aygo, what, exactly did the Garage seal (If you actually know) please?  

I'm glad that you got your's (almost) sorted and fixed.

Thanks and all the best! :smile:

• Like 1

Hiya as far as I am aware they replaced all the seals on the car... They said they stripped the car at first to see exactly where the water was coming in then replaced all seals

Jo :) 

• Like 1

Still amazes me to this day, why Toyota didn't test the Aygo for water tightness. All they had to do was pop half a dozen Aygos in a hanger and direct water jets at them for a few days.

Luckily mine doesn't leak, but my wife's Aygo leaked like a bugger into the boot. Always smelt of wet dog and totally ruined the parking sensor system too.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Joanne.

Crikey, replacing all the seals (Back Window/Hatch), rear windows, and all the rubber grommets and stop lamp seals sounds a whole lot more work than a couple of hours, scrubbing about with a tube of silicone sealant, doesn't it?  As Fordulike says, a decent test in the first place might have helped!!

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an even closer eye on the boot floor from now on.....I just wish that I could sort out that "Misty back light" annoyance

Thanks again for getting back to me. :smile:

33 minutes ago, fordulike said:

Still amazes me to this day, why Toyota didn't test the Aygo for water tightness. All they had to do was pop half a dozen Aygos in a hanger and direct water jets at them for a few days.

The Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 were also affected by water leaks.

All three are built by the Joint Venture, rather than either Toyota or PSA, so the leak testing would have been the JV's remit.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 were also affected by water leaks.

All three are built by the Joint Venture, rather than either Toyota or PSA, so the leak testing would have been the JV's remit.

Thanks FROSTYBALLS. I didn't mean to single out Toyota entirely, as I knew it was some kind of joint venture, but wasn't 100% sure of the organisation.

It still smacks of shoddiness in testing though. The clutch thing took far too long to get acknowledged and corrected too.

Amazing how complicated some vehicle production gets.

Reminds me of the Honda Concerto/Rover 200. For the European market Rover built both versions at Longbridge. Concertos were transported by rail to Honda at Swindon to undergo Honda Quality Control. Concertos which failed the Honda QC were shipped back to Longbridge for rectification, and resubmitted to Swindon for further QC

We had a new Concerto 1.5i back in 1994, and it was fine. 

Our 2007 Mazda 2 was built by Ford in Valencia at the Fiesta/Fusion plant - Ford mechanicals, etc and all the quality control, etc was done by Ford.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, monkeyboy3 said:

Thanks

yeah I contacted Toyota as I have a 12 month Warranty when I bought the car from them to see if this was covered, but they need to see the car first!! Was hoping there was a quick/easy fix I could apply to save the hassle of the car being away for a few days. 

I'm pretty sure you're entitled to a courtesy car when yours is having warranty work done on it.

Hey

so I left the car with Toyota yesterday and they called me this morning it's not covered under warranty.

he said it needs a bit of work as water is coming in from a few places, mentioned hi level light and ducts behind the bumper.

not sure what he means by hi level light, guess the brake light at top but when I hose the car it's away from the light!

i can soke the car from the rear lights down and it's all dry it's only when I spray from the top right side water comes in the bottom right of the boot.

they will have a price Monday but think I'll get this rechecked 

When does your new car warranty expire?

It's no longer under warrenty 

they also said it wouldn't be covered under warrenty

Check the vents/ducts behind the bumper.  If they're the same as my previously owned Avensis they're waterproofed by a foam seal which can come loose.  On my car you could see the vent after pulling off the side trim inside the boot.  Water runs down the quarter panel and into the vent, and when driving the water thrown up by the wheels go straight through too.  

I cured mine from the inside by renewing the seal using a sticky-one-side strip of draught sealing foam.

FWIW I had exactly the same problem on a 2006 Ford Focus saloon too.

Thing I don't get is if I soak the car from the rear lights down it's dry, soak it from the top right about where boot hindge is but not on a the hi break light it's wet inside?

Hi Monkeyboy3,

Just a thought here, after your last post....I have a 2012 Aygo Fire and you know the black strips on the roof?  Well aren't they attached with little lugs that go though the roof skin?  Maybe water is getting under the strip, running down the rear three quarter panel and into the boot, if that is happening, a quick unclip of the strip and a dab of silicone around the hole before reattaching the strip might help.

Failing that, what about the tailgate hinge itself, again it's a fairly easy job to remove it and a smear of silicone around the bolt holes before re-fitting the tailgate might help.....Whilst you're doing that, unscrewing the high level stop light and silicone sealing it back on wouldn't hurt.

You've probably thought about all these things but if you can fix it yourself, you'll save some cash.

Good luck and all the best.

2 hours ago, monkeyboy3 said:

It's no longer under warrenty 

they also said it wouldn't be covered under warrenty

When was the car first registered?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry about this late reply.

I had the same problem on my 2006 Aygo (mk1, phase 1, July 2006). When it rained, a true 'puddle' formed in the trunk. As a result, the inside felt very wet (sticky wheel, steam on the dashboard...), which would eventually cause electronical dysfunctions. I had mould on my carpets.

The first thing I noticed is that the central stop light (above the rear window) is centered with a kind of foam. As it gets hold, after some years, it gets dry, crackles and loses its sealing power. I used black silicone to make a new joint.

The water can also enter:
- around the round plastic bumpers (you can use silicone also)
- if the original seal is dirty

It is in French but as you can see, many people have this problem:
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/toyota/sujet8454.htm

• 2 years later...

Ive had a bad leak in the boot which must fill the boot and soakes into the back seat and up the back of the seat soaked put silicone round top light and round back lights still leaking took one of the gromits from spare tyre well out seems to stop seat getting wet but boot still soaked going to try a new seal on boot door next Toyota didnt want to know but would cost me around £500 ti find out were its leaking which is disgusting as. Its obviously a design fault i think they should sort it for free bad customer service 😠 disgraceful 

• 2 weeks later...

I have just fixed ours! I found that water was getting behind the boot window seal - not between the seal and the glass - but between the rubber and the metal rim.

I removed the seal and filled the channel that fits over the metal with a sealant and then refixed the seal. Tested the next day with a hose and a dry as can be. I had already done the high level brake light and rear lights.

• 5 weeks later...

Took mine to Toyota dealer water is coming from rear lights and the break light at the top of the car.they are drying it out and resealing bill £384.mine was also in the recall for back passenger  window clips to be replaced. Hopefully when I pick it up all be water tight. 

• 4 months later...

£384 ? Daylight robbery. Its sad that in this day and age boots on these cars are leaking. Total joke. Someones head needs examined