Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive Belt Alternator

povanic

Hi what a wasted weekend?

So went to euro car parts and purchased 2 new belts for my 2010 in 1.33, air con went on fine the alternator a different story, I was sold a contitech 5pk955 which is coming up far too small.

before I go and tell euro car parts to shove the belt where the sun don't shine , can someone please confirm, I am right in thinking that this unit is too small or that I am just poor at home diy

Thank you Nick

Yep I saw the pictures of the belts bud last week, unfortunately they only give part numbers and not the belt information. Euro car parts to be fair have always been pretty good, and much cheaper than toyota, but on this occasion I think they have got there parts mixed up

How does the old belt, compare to the new one ?  assuming it was still on the car .

Any signs left  of belt size markings on the old one ?

Nope  completely worn bud, the old one did seem about 10, 15mm longer though which made all the difference.

Might pop into toyota tomorrow and ask, the odd thing is quite a few other companies are selling 955mm for the car? And there is no way it's going on, hopefully the worn one won't snap on the way to work tomorrow now it's been on and off

Have not worked on that 1.33, but if you say the old belt only seems to be 10 to 15mm longer I would think thats about the right amount of wear/stretch and suggests you have the right new belt.... ??

As that thread mentions the tensioner pulley can be heavy to move fully and needs a lot of pressure, sometimes an extension tube on the spanner makes it easier to move.

Also some belts do need to be 'wound over' the shoulder/edge of the pulley to get it on, if you see what I mean.

Think all Mr.T will do is sell you a new belt as they simply go by the part number, not a measurement in my experience and if ithey are like mine, its to order for next day only

All the belts for the 1.0, 1.33 and even the diesel are the same.

The part number for the alternator belt is 90916-02682.

5PK965.

So 5 ribs with a total length of 965mm.

The belt they sold you is 10mm smaller, not sure if this is a negligible amount.