Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New summer tires for Auris TS Hybrid

Nicolai

So, I (much, much to early) need a new set of summer tires. Current fronts "Bad"stone Turanza that came with the car in summer 2013 are almost down to the indicator after only 28,200 miles and I've swopped for Continental Winter Contacts every winter!

According to ADAC's test in 2017, for my wheel size Pirelli P1 Verde is the Champion. See other details and the rating of other brands and models in the link:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-ADAC-195-65-R15-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Now, I'm all for safety, hence I really to appreciate how the Pirellis rate on dry and even more so on on wet surfaces. However, being obssesive with MPG I have always ranted about how the TS Hybrid (at least in Denmark) came with Turanza which are NON LLR tires.

So, here's my chance to opt for Michelin Energy Saver+ (which are highly recommended by the owner of the garage (Not Toyota- independant, services all brands) who I use as a tyre dealer / storrage depot. I really like that the Energy Savers: are LRR and apparently have a very good wear resistance and good grip on wet surfaces.

Two gripes here: my dealer is a Michelin Quality Dealer (as such, not the most objective?) and as per the link above, Michelin Energy Saver+ only scores avarage (three stars) on wet surfaces despite being labeled A in this regards as per the EU standard(s).

Any recommandations? (Bridgestone Turanzas are out!)

Is 28k that bad? My Yaris barely gets 15-20k out of its tyres  :(

Worst set were Continental Premium Contact 5's which lasted about 7k miles... Surprising since the 2E's lasted, IIRC, second longest of all the tyres I've tried?

Currently on Dunlop Street Response 2's which are wearing well.

Previously had Cooper CS2's which wore very well but had extremely poor lateral grip (Very scary in a naturally understeery car like the Yaris!)

Well, I don't know if I was unclear in OP (if so, I appologize): the 28K INCLUDES being on Conti WinterContact from roughly late october to beginning of april every year. In other words, the Turanza have really just done a bit more than half of the 28K. An Toyota told me to use my brakes more in order to remove corrosion from them. That's to tell you I'm anything but a spirited driver. :)

Yeah that wasn't clear so thanks for the clarification!

So you're guessing 14-15k on a set of tyres? That's not great, esp. on a HSD which are supposed to be quite gentle on their tyres. I have a diesel and they're known to be a bit harder on the driving wheels due to the torque, plus I tend to be a bit harder on the acceleration and braking, and with smaller & narrower wheels too, so I'd expect yours to last longer than mine!

It may just be the tyre compound is softer in those bridgestones for the grip. Could also be the tyre pressures; I find my tyre wear is better at higher pressures than lower ones.

You could try something with a harder compound like the Coopers I mentioned or the Conti PC2E's (Stay away from the 5's if you want longevity; Excellent grip but they're made of jelly!). The Conti Eco Contacts are supposed to be more hard wearing too. Jury's still out on these Dunlops but they've lasted pretty well so far...!

Goodyear Efficient Grip performance, the Pirellis, as of now, I think.

Bear in mind what tyres are available in the UK may differ to other countries ......

Thanks everybody. Just ordered af pair of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance for the front wheels. Best traction on wet AND dry and 4 star with regards to LRR.

Will put the Bridgestones with 6,000 miles left on the rear wheels and swap them out next summer. :smile:

Current tyre industry recommendations are to put new tyres on the rear and swap the used rear tyres to the front

• 1 year later...

So,

My rears (the OEM Turanzas) are up for replacement. Unfortunately, the 2018 version of the Goodyear EGP doesn't come near the top of the charts in the test I have seen.

Dry and wet braking, comfort, noise and LRR are priorities.

195/65R15

Any suggestions this year?

• 6 months later...

Nicolai, what's the tire dimension you ordered? My wife's Yaris 2012 Hybrid needs a new set too. 
For me, the cabin noise is the priority 1. It beats me why Toyota keep on delivering cars with Turanzas. Most be the worst tire ever when it comes to noise. Dont they understand the negative impression this gives their new owners? Next time many of them will consider something else. I switched my Turanzas immediately with GY Efficientgrip Performance and it was a another car to drive.

Hi Morton. My 2013 TS is fitted with 195 / 65 R15. 

I like my Goodyear EGP rears but from reviews, they don't last too long. I went with Conti premium contact 5 for the fronts, this summer season. 😎

Right! I wondered about that because I couldnt find the EGP in the standard 175/65. 

Sorry for late reply Morton54:

I must say I agree with you on the Bridgestone Turanzas. Ex wife just purchased a used Yaris Hybrid and needed winter rims and tires. Dealer spoke highly of Bridgestone and she weent with those. I relize they are not Turanzas, however, unless Bridgestone changes something dramatically, I will never fit Turanzas to ANY car in the future. I found them to be bumpy which is my main complaint with them. Ex' summer tires are Dunlop on the Yaris but I don't know what model.

I've been wanting to try out Michelin Energy Saver Plus as well but their lack of grip on wet and damp roads compaired to the Continental Premium Contact 5s meant I opted for the later. I'd like a more fuel efficient tyre, however, safety and grip are more important to me.

Let me know how your tyre choice(s) work(s) out,

Best,

Our Yaris has dubbless Nokian Hakkapelitta winter tires. These are a very comfortable and silent tires.(175/65R15). It's a Nordic type of tire so it's maybe overkill in some countries?

The summer tire on it was delivered with Dunlop SP Fastresponse by previous owner.  Not good. Noisy and harsh ride.  Have ordred a set of Goodyear Efficientgrip Compact 185/65-15T which is reported as a very nice and quiet tire. And not very expensive either.