Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Body Side Mouldings Mk 4

nellsey

I am waiting for the first "car park dent" and have been thinking about how to minimise this.

Is there an oem body moldings set for the Mk4 or is it an after market option?

I did not see it on the options list when ordering..

Anybody found out and fitted these?

I've only ever had the car manufacturer offerings. Automotiva is a third party who provide body side mouldings for a variety of manufacturers and vehicles - http://shop.automotiva.co.uk

Might be worth sending Parts-King a personal message to ask about the availability of Toyota bodyside mouldings for the Prius, and asking Automotiva whether they plan to offer any for the same model.

31 minutes ago, Harters said:

...I went through the configurator and they also come up under the Assessories section.

That's what I did when I ordered mine.

I think they spoil the look of the car so I went for the Toyota Smart repair insurance instead

14 minutes ago, kithmo said:

I think they spoil the look of the car so I went for the Toyota Smart repair insurance instead

Interesting...  good thing we're all different - I actually like the look, especially on my white Prius

10 hours ago, kithmo said:

I am with you.... but so does dents.

I tend to dismiss and ignore add ons as they usually tend to be just an extra money making scheme. I just tick no to all of them.:biggrin:

Is Smart Repair a decent option Kithmo?

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I have now spotted the ones in the accessories brochure. For some reason my pc software would only show the interior accessories:huh:

I see they do a colour coded set in the states that looks fairly good.

PeteB - How much was total cost with fitting on yours?

6 hours ago, nellsey said:

...PeteB - How much was total cost with fitting on yours?

£120 fitted including vat (I had plain black unpainted, which I like against the white colour of the car).  My previous (Gen 3) Prius was also white and I had the black mouldings on that too.

7 hours ago, nellsey said:

Is Smart Repair a decent option Kithmo?

I got SMART repair included with the plugin.  Covers scratches and dents and chips to a point.  Have called them out twice so far (in 6 months).  One for bumper rash (my fault) the other for side panel scratches.  There is a phone app to report repairs 24/7 so you can do it when you spot the damage.  The repair guy needs to put up a tent around the car while doing the repair so you need a flat area with space around it (and space for the van) and not on the road.  Luckily I can use the works car park.  Takes 2 or 3 hours depending on the damage.  They have done a good job so far and I have cover for 3 years :)

https://www.toyota.co.uk/finance-insurance/minor-damage-cover.json

The company that Toyota SMART Cover use to do the repairs is SHINE.

http://shinerepair.com/

10 hours ago, PeteB said:

£120 fitted including vat (I had plain black unpainted, which I like against the white colour of the car).  My previous (Gen 3) Prius was also white and I had the black mouldings on that too.

Thanks Pete.

I think black would look ok on my silver one too

Anybody know the costs for the Toyota Smart Insurance?

13 hours ago, nellsey said:

Anybody know the costs for the Toyota Smart Insurance?

Ask your dealer for a quote.

When buying a car, the SMART cover price seems to be 'flexible' a bit like supershine and GAP cover. ;)

I took out Toyota's SMART cover on the previous Auris HSD without checking the small print. It didn't include 'horizontal' surfaces, such as the bonnet and roof. As far as I know this is still the case.

As the damage I am most concerned about is stone chips on the bonnet, I think paying for any occasional rep[air represents far better value for money. 

6 hours ago, Ancient Nerd said:

I took out Toyota's SMART cover on the previous Auris HSD without checking the small print. It didn't include 'horizontal' surfaces, such as the bonnet and roof. As far as I know this is still the case.

As the damage I am most concerned about is stone chips on the bonnet, I think paying for any occasional rep[air represents far better value for money. 

You are partially wrong there AN, the horizontal surfaces are not covered for scratches and dents, but they are covered for stone chips. The rest of the car is covered for everything under 30 cm long/wide and less than 3 mm deep (1.5 mm deep for stone chips). It cost me £399 for 3 years cover. Costs £10 excess per claim with a maximum single claim of £500 and maximum aggregate of claims of £3000 over the 3 year period. It saves having to claim on your main insurance so you don't lose any NCB.

When SMART cover first came out, it didn't include any damage to the bonnet - whether stone chips or otherwise. As I said earlier, the cover has been revised - and now does include stone chips on the bonnet.

Thanks Frosty and Kithmo. It sounds as though the cover is better now. I'm still not sure it justifies the cost however.

I am intrigued as to why bonnet and roof are still  excluded for dents and scratches. Are there more things dropping from aircraft than I was aware of?:unsure: Or has bird poo got heavier in recent years?

I am pleased to hear smart cover has been revised as my previous experience was the same as Ancient Nerd. I found it cheaper to employ a local mobile paint company and the finished work they did for me was excellent.  They charged me £100 each time. Once for a dent and another time for scratches etc.

Our car has black side mouldings I think they look good on a silver car. I have had the mouldings on all four Prius cars I have owned. I think they are essential to reduce dents etc caused by other folk banging their car doors into your car and of course the inconsiderate "drivers" of shopping trolleys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think the roof/bonnet are most likely to be damaged by stone chips.

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead with the side mouldings in the end.

Very happy with them and the way they look.

• Like 1

What makes you happy is good :smile: