Do Not Sell My Personal Information

light

adalb1

Do you have a light in the trunk, if not in the GB, it is possible to buy a lamp and what is the price?

A luggage compartment light used to be available on the top of the range X-clusiv or as part of the X-traconvenience pack - which was a factory fit option.

However the luggage compartment light no longer seems to be available since the specifications were adjusted earlier this year. 

As far as I'm aware, without the option pack, the wiring loom for the light isn't fitted.

I bought one of the following motion detecting led lights - the magnetic base attaches to the metal back of the rear seat. The light turns on when one opens the tailgate and turns off after a few seconds on closing the tailgate: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IP5A7JK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

Thanks, I thought there was an electric beam.
And to be honest, it's already a special Toyota

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The light turns on when one opens the tailgate and turns off after a few seconds on closing the tailgate

Or every time something in the boot shifts, like when you go round a corner!

Nice piece of kit though, I'd be tempted if it were cheaper...

1 hour ago, Plob said:

Or every time something in the boot shifts, like when you go round a corner!

Even if that happens, and we haven't noticed it does, the first set of three AAA batteries lasted six months - so running costs I suppose one is looking at around £ 1.50 per year. One can also turn it off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this up after six weeks but after Frostyballs gave us the idea, I ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J4EQVPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To be honest, it's a little cracker and at £6.29 it was a steal.

I've had it in the Aygo for just over a fortnight now and it hasn't dropped off or let me down.  It comes wth a sticky magnetic strip (The light unit goes onto this) which I have attached to the lip on the parcel shelf which is up against the back seats. That means that when I raise the tailgate, the parcel shelf lifts and the light comes on....15 seconds after I have closed the tailgate the light goes out (I checked it through the back seats). 

It's got a very low profile and being on the moulded angle under the parcelshelf, it doesn't get in the way of your shopping. It's a bit cheaper than the one that Frostyballs recommended but it does need four AAA batteries instead of three, so it's case of "swings and roundabouts".

Many thanks to Frostyballs for the idea! :smile:

You'll have to update us how long the batteries last. Just wondering if the vibrations of the car, whilst driving, sets it off. Unless you hide a very small child in the boot, I guess we'll never know :biggrin:

Edit: I see it's magnetically operated, not vibration. My bad :blink:

44 minutes ago, fordulike said:

Unless you hide a very small child in the boot, I guess we'll never know :biggrin:

Because that isn't an unusual application for a car boot...

4 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

Because that isn't an unusual application for a car boot...

Hee hee, guess that came out a bit wrong. I didn't mean in the kidnap sense, more like to tell the driver if the light comes on whilst the car is moving lol.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-2 at 3:46 PM, fordulike said:

You'll have to update us how long the batteries last. Just wondering if the vibrations of the car, whilst driving, sets it off. Unless you hide a very small child in the boot, I guess we'll never know :biggrin:

Won't the motion detector detect the child and keep the light on?

Remember as a young adult travelling in the boot of a Chrysler Sunbeam for about half an hour as the seats were all occupied

s-l225.jpg

a really easy way to fit a boot light would be to use the power for the tail lights

once it starts getting dark and you turn your lights on the boot light would also be on.

I have one of those Amazon LED light for years, it is USB chargeable and it will last for a couple of weeks even during the winter periods. It is far brighter than the boot light and it can be used as a torch if needed in the dark as it has a magnetic strip underneath, which means it can be fixed on your bonnet if you need to see your engine in the dark or change a wheel etc. Very useful indeed, and cheap.

• Like 2

I've just bought some of these nice and cheap on eBay, worth a punt...

6801.zoom.a.jpg

Checked that frosty, cheaper on the bay! ;-)