Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Servicing Questions

thomjones83

Evening all...recently done a oil and filters change on my t25 avensis 1.8 but given her age (2006) and mileage (116k) I want to be a bit more thorough...could anyone recommend which spark plugs to go for, is it possible to change the gearbox oil on my drive and does anyone have any experience with terraclean?

Sorry for all the questions!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have always used Denso spark plugs. If you have the handbook, check the actual model number. I would then check on eBay and Euro Car Parts (ECP) for best prices Remember to use the discount code on the ECP, and order and collect and pay. Make sure you have the correct spark plug socket in your tool kit. Later Toyotas use a really small 14mm socket for their spark plugs, but you should be using 16mm.

I have changed the transmission oil in the past on my old Avensis. You need enough room under the car to access the drain plug. My drive is over a foot higher than the base of the house and there is a 3ft wide gap between the hose and the raised drive. This makes job like oil and transmission changes easy, without having to jack the car up.

I cannot remember spanner sizes but access is fine, unless you have to remove the under body shield. If I did not have the 'pit', I would jack the car up to access the drain plug, after draining, drop the car back onto flat, before the refill, so the car is level when topping up.  

• Like 1

Thanks Conrad, I'll get the plugs and transmission oil ordered :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, thomjones83 said:

possible to change the gearbox oil

If you have not changed gear box oil before It would be prudent to remove filler plug first before draining oil, if you do and filler plug is damaged or fails to come out you may be stuck with an empty G/box and no way to get oil back in! Good luck with it. :thumbup:

• Like 2

I need to change my own gear oil (2.0d4d)as I put cheap stuff in from a motor factor as I forgot to by genuine toyota gear oil and had the car to get serviced and new clutch too on a weekend. I think the box is a bit notchy in 1st and 3rd because of this oil.I've been told to get genuine oil and should be fine. 

Hi Thom, I posted a thread over 4 years ago, but did not get a response.

7 hours ago, Owdjockey said:

Hi Thom, I posted a thread over 4 years ago, but did not get a response.

I didn't respond to your earlier post because, you explained the improvements you experienced to your car - plus it was still a bit of an unknown then. I have read elsewhere, that Terraclean is pure fuel that cleans carbon where it reaches. I have also read that they now also do direct injection engines, and clean the inlet valves - https://www.terraclean.co.uk/how-terraclean-works

Some owners use premium fuel which helps, and others use additives like BG products.

I find that after a long motorway journey, my car is more lively and responsive. I help my fuel economy by keeping in the appropriate gear when possible, reading the road ahead so not to waste fuel, lots of lift off the throttle (the 2ZR engine seems to don't lose speed). I check my tyre pressures and keep them at 35 psi. I average 34 - 36 mpg but my range show close to 400 miles. I have much further than the stated range (I reset the trip counter on fill up, and by next fill up it will show how far I have traveled). 

• Like 1

Sorry Konrad, not meant as a criticism or anything. BTW up to 251,000 miles now on the 54 plate d4d

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links