Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IQ Service - How to not get ripped off?

HRPOWER

I have a friends IQ which is a UK car 59 plate with 62000 miles

It was serviced at 50,000 by a small UK garage which allegedely included an oil change.

The car is misfiring occassionally now. Does it need another service? Or just some spark plugs?

We have taken the car back once to the man who serviced it who put it on diagnostics and said there was nothing wrong with it!

It only does it in fourth gear and at around 40- 50 mph under accelleration.

Is there anything I should / or could do myself. I think I can change some filters and some spark plugs but that is about it :)

What sort of money would you allocate to spend on this?

Appreciate your help and advice if you can.

if it was serviced at 50,000 & is now at 62,000 it is overdue a service (10,000 mile intervals or 1 year whichever occurs first).

As it's over 5 years old it is eligible for Essential Care if you wanted to take it to a Toyota dealer https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/Toyota Essential Care Service Content - V2.1 02.11xlsx_tcm-3060-675779.pdf

Amazing help - thanks so much will look at both of these options. And find out how much it might be from Toyota 

Eligible :) did infer not too much money .....but that looks like a £450 service right there. 

I believe old pricing for the Essential Care, was £100 for silver and £180 for gold. Pricing for spark plugs is from £60, dependant on model.

Pricing may have changed recently though!

I believe the iQ should be serviced every year or 9,000 miles so it is already 3,000 miles past its service.

I am also slightly confused and skeptical about it just needing new plugs or that these plugs are the cause for the misfiring. The iQ have Iridium tipped plugs that are quite long in length and they are long lasting plugs; 56,000 mile life span or every 6 years.

Perhaps wrong plugs were used. Make sure to get the right ones fitted.

6 hours ago, Kuneha said:

I am also slightly confused and skeptical about it just needing new plugs or that these plugs are the cause for the misfiring. The iQ have iridium tipped plugs that are quite long in length and they are long lasting plugs; 56,000 mile life span or every 6 years.

& it is at 62,000/7 years with no mention of having had a spark plug change (albeit it might have had) ...

I got those figures from another thread on this forum about spark plugs. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information sometimes.

If the plugs were changed by the UK garage, assuming they used the correct plugs then they won't need changing for a long time still. Best to have this confirmed.

Does your eml come one and start flashing or stay on permanently? If so the tech would of had an idea of where the misfire was coming from based on code and would be able to proceed with further diagnostics. If not he will need to replicate fault when it typically occurs. Your plugs are due replacement so that's something you should do regardless if that's the fault or not.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first - and have been thus since at least 2009.

Don't think the prices have changed, and are £100 for the silver and £180 for the gold services.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first - and have been thus since at least 2009.

Don't think the prices have changed, and are £100 for the silver and £180 for the gold services.

The reason that I mentioned about them being old prices, is that I couldn't find them quoted anywhere. They used to be on the main servicing page, so I wonder if they have changed and are now dealer specifically priced.

Poor grammar, I know, but hope you get what I mean lol.

Can anyone else find the latest pricing, or is it just me being a bozo :blink:

The prices are no longer displayed on the website, but I checked a couple of dealer groups and the prices were the same (Inchcape are charging £1 less for the silver).

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2017 at 1:14 PM, HRPOWER said:

I have a friends IQ which is a UK car 59 plate with 62000 miles

It was serviced at 50,000 by a small UK garage which allegedely included an oil change.

The car is misfiring occassionally now. Does it need another service? Or just some spark plugs?

We have taken the car back once to the man who serviced it who put it on diagnostics and said there was nothing wrong with it!

It only does it in fourth gear and at around 40- 50 mph under accelleration.

Is there anything I should / or could do myself. I think I can change some filters and some spark plugs but that is about it :)

What sort of money would you allocate to spend on this?

Appreciate your help and advice if you can.

My 2009 IQ still has the orginal 2009 sparks. Done 120,000 miles and hasn't had a single misfire once!

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's car has never missed a beat either. I've no idea how often, if ever, the plugs have been replaced. For servicing, we've always given the car to the local dealership. Maybe we pay much more but we've not been that disappointed.

We had a major tire wreck literally hours before flying off for vacation. The Green Flag geezer couldn't source another tire anywhere so we had the car towed to the Gatwick dealer. They offered to keep the car in their secure yard for the three weeks we were out of the country. Somehow, I don't think all small independents can do that. Sometimes, paying a bit more at the official rates can give you a bit extra.

• Like 1