Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EPB fault 'Check Parking Brake System' returns.

Konrad C

i had that problem when i forgot to connect up the maf sensor after working on the car .went for a drive and forgot .i ran my scanner threw car and said something about maf and i remembered i forgot to connect it .then i did and cleared all codes and the electric handbreak was back again 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

On 6/9/2021 at 1:09 PM, Carl Lucas said:

Just had my rear brake pads changed at a local garage, 2015 Toyota Avensis, and I’ve now got the ‘Check brake system’ message.
Parking brake system works fine using the button but does not operate automatically when I stop the engine.

message stays on (comes back after a few seconds after clearing)

took it back to the garage and he says it needs to be reset (which he can’t do as?)

can this be reset easily

Hello,

Was this resolved? I am on the same boat now...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey anyone can help me I am have 2017 toyota avensis 2.0 desiel. Having a problem over week about check parking brake system been reset but come back on again 

Hi Wasim, welcome to TOC  (btw you may want to remove your registration no. from your profile)

There are so many interlinked systems that can cause a cascade from one to the other to bring this up that you need to get it properly code read.

Assuming that it has been serviced according to spec. & is under 100k then it should still be under warranty - take it to a dealer (I have been happy with A Bishopbriggs).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, Wasim sadiq said:

Hey anyone can help me I am have 2017 toyota avensis 2.0 desiel. Having a problem over week about check parking brake system been reset but come back on again 

I did the original post and the fix. In my case the clutch was replaced, but the connection to the gear position sensor was not securely connected. I have other self inflicted issues that caused the EPB warning to show, and the parking brake continued to work, but without auto release. I resolved those issues myself. Your car being diesel, the EGR can cause the parking brake warning. Scott (Heidfirst) has said it above, systems are more interlinked in modern cars so something you won't expect another system does! You need to have diagnostic check done to get the codes, then work from there. I would follow Scott's advice.  

Where I can find parking brake system sener. And egr cooler been replaced few months ago thank you 

20210808_033755.jpg

On 8/15/2021 at 10:58 PM, Wasim sadiq said:

Where I can find parking brake system sener. And egr cooler been replaced few months ago thank you 

20210808_033755.jpg

tbh that fresh of a car has to still be under warranty unless ur past the mileage would u not try the dealer first see if they fix under warranty 

On 5/1/2017 at 8:21 AM, Konrad C said:

Some might have read my other post that I had my clutch replaced, and soon after, there was a beep, warning lights appeared with the message displayed 'Check Parking Brake System'. I manage to reset the system and all was well. The car was fine for the rest of the day.

The next day, after about 15 minutes on the road, the same alerts appeared. I was just driving. When I got to my destination. I repeated the jumper wire fix, but the cautions are not clearing and every time I start the car, there is a Beep and 'Check Parking Brake System' appears. The auto release does not work, so I have to pull the EPB button. Applying the parking brake has always been normal. Car rolls easily when the brakes are released, and on the motorway, I hardly need any gas, using lots of lift off the throttle. 

I will look at the rear brakes (the disc/pads were changed over a year ago), the connections to the clutch switch and throttle switch. The car starts with the clutch pressed as normal, but I will test to see if it starts without touching the clutch pedal - point to switch failure. The throttle works fine, but I will read up on that. There could be a switch that is not working. I will check the under bonnet connections. The gear change indicator works, cruise control works.

So what i am looking for, is a bad connection or a cable disturbed during the clutch replacement operation. I will use my Lauch  reader to help pin point the issue.

Updates to follow when I find the fault.  

20170428_161400.jpg

quick question your Lauch  reader is that a different better system than toyota techstream to fix problems . i have techstrream and a 2 different cables which work but afraid as with this stupid push button handbreak mighgt need a better tool.i found my pushbutton handbreak was acting up but as u say they were linked to other problems as i was servicing my car and forgot to connect up my air mass flow plug up :/ .all good now when i connected it up cleared faults with my autel MD802 all system scanner 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 2009joe said:

quick question your Lauch  reader is that a different better system than toyota techstream to fix problems . i have techstrream and a 2 different cables which work but afraid as with this stupid push button handbreak mighgt need a better tool.i found my pushbutton handbreak was acting up but as u say they were linked to other problems as i was servicing my car and forgot to connect up my air mass flow plug up 😕 .all good now when i connected it up cleared faults with my autel MD802 all system scanner 

I got Launch Creader VIII nearly 6 years ago when, just after I got my car. I paid £179 delivered from Diagnostic World, at that time. I did get an old version on Techstream at the time, but didn't get it to work properly until I got a later version. I also have Delphi with it's own Bluetooth/USB VCI interface. Delphi and Techstream are on an old windows XP Netbook. 
To answer your question, Techstream is the best. Delphi works well, but can't touch Techstream. The Launch was almost useless dealing with the parking brake, but has improved a little with the free updates. For general diagnostics and getting codes, the Launch is quick and convenient. I have used it on many makes and models. The Launch has parking brake reset, but don't use that function on the Avensis EPB, because it will delete the calibrations and show faults and warning, plus no auto release/engage! Techstream and Delphi have proper parking brake calibration (not reset). 

So my general rule now is when diagnosing faults, use the Launch first to read codes and try to delete and fix the cause. If the cause has been found, but the Launch cannot deal with it, Techstream takes over (gives me time to warm up the laptop). 

If I was going for a standalone reader, I would read reviews and decide if I should go car make specific or one that covers nearly every model? You could by a semi or full pro device, but that costs.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I got Launch Creader VIII nearly 6 years ago when, just after I got my car. I paid £179 delivered from Diagnostic World, at that time. I did get an old version on Techstream at the time, but didn't get it to work properly until I got a later version. I also have Delphi with it's own Bluetooth/USB VCI interface. Delphi and Techstream are on an old windows XP Netbook. 
To answer your question, Techstream is the best. Delphi works well, but can't touch Techstream. The Launch was almost useless dealing with the parking brake, but has improved a little with the free updates. For general diagnostics and getting codes, the Launch is quick and convenient. I have used it on many makes and models. The Launch has parking brake reset, but don't use that function on the Avensis EPB, because it will delete the calibrations and show faults and warning, plus no auto release/engage! Techstream and Delphi have proper parking brake calibration (not reset). 

So my general rule now is when diagnosing faults, use the Launch first to read codes and try to delete and fix the cause. If the cause has been found, but the Launch cannot deal with it, Techstream takes over (gives me time to warm up the laptop). 

If I was going for a standalone reader, I would read reviews and decide if I should go car make specific or one that covers nearly every model? You could by a semi or full pro device, but that costs.  

thanks for the info my friend .well im have techstream on a spare ssd i have to my laptop so all i have to do is take one ssd out and put in another ssd that has all my techstream software .thanks so much if u think techstream is the best well im use techstream then :)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, Konrad C said:

Hi Konard,

Good shout about TechStream, do you know if any OBD to USB cable will do? 

I see many ODB/USB cables on the bay but I am not sure which one will work? Do you know if TechStream support those wireless bluetooth readers?

21 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Hi Konard,

Good shout about TechStream, do you know if any OBD to USB cable will do? 

I see many ODB/USB cables on the bay but I am not sure which one will work? Do you know if TechStream support those wireless Bluetooth readers?

I have is a mini VCI J2534 OBD2 to USB cable, that came with the Techstream software 6 years ago. It works fine, but it was a little risk at the time. Apparently there are some slight variations, but I don't know the details. I have had no issues connecting to any Toyota I tried it with - Avensis '57 plate 1.8 T25 and '58 plate 1.8 T27 (my car), Mk2 Prius, Auris 2010 hybrid and Verso 2010, with same Valvematic 1.8 engine as my car. Each time it finds the cause of any warnings and completely removes cautions so long any required fixes are completed.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip Konard, after looking at some similar old threads here it looks like the min vci cable is needed. The only thing I am not sure of is the software Techstream.

Although it is available online for windows 32 bit flavours it seems like there is few hoops to jump if you want Win x64 drivers for the cables.

I still have a laptop with Win7 32 bit which allowed me installing it, it does ask for a license key (though not stopping it from working without it).

I don't mind purchasing the license but I can't see what benefits it gives over using the software in free mode?

Cable on Amazon seems to be selling for £25 or so but there are also some other PRC sourced cables sporting USB on one side and ODB2 on the other going for buttons and claiming compatibility with TechStream, is this another case of 'buyer beware'?

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2017 at 8:21 AM, Konrad C said:

Some might have read my other post that I had my clutch replaced, and soon after, there was a beep, warning lights appeared with the message displayed 'Check Parking Brake System'. I manage to reset the system and all was well. The car was fine for the rest of the day.

The next day, after about 15 minutes on the road, the same alerts appeared. I was just driving. When I got to my destination. I repeated the jumper wire fix, but the cautions are not clearing and every time I start the car, there is a Beep and 'Check Parking Brake System' appears. The auto release does not work, so I have to pull the EPB button. Applying the parking brake has always been normal. Car rolls easily when the brakes are released, and on the motorway, I hardly need any gas, using lots of lift off the throttle. 

I will look at the rear brakes (the disc/pads were changed over a year ago), the connections to the clutch switch and throttle switch. The car starts with the clutch pressed as normal, but I will test to see if it starts without touching the clutch pedal - point to switch failure. The throttle works fine, but I will read up on that. There could be a switch that is not working. I will check the under bonnet connections. The gear change indicator works, cruise control works.

So what i am looking for, is a bad connection or a cable disturbed during the clutch replacement operation. I will use my Lauch  reader to help pin point the issue.

Updates to follow when I find the fault.  

20170428_161400.jpg

I had same issue, I took my car to toyota and they said its egr valve and they fixed it. but after 8 months the same message came back. I don't know if its still to with egr valve

• 8 months later...

Hi, All.

I appreciate that this chat started sometime ago but I am hoping a few of you still use the forum and might be able to guide me. I have a 2016 Toyota Avensis touring that has come up with the same faults on the dash as Wisim's picture earlier in the chat. Saying that there is a parking brake fault. It also says however that there is a stop start issue as well. The car was at a Toyota dealer for a recall and so I asked them to diagnose it. They have come back saying it's the handbrake actuator that needs replaced (quote £1510). Nightmare. Especially when it will have to be done just to pass an MOT.

Anyway, based on the chat I got a copy of techstream just to see if there was anything it could tell me. Not that I don't believe the Toyota garage but the car and handbrake work perfectly fine. It clamps both wheels, the car drives perfectly well. Other than the warnings on the dash the car seems fine.

There is no signs of damage or water ingress on the actuator, all be it, I can't get to it properly due to its location on the back axle.

Using techstream when I clear the codes the parking fault goes away for about 30 miles or so. Where as the stop start fault only clears for a matter of seconds and is straight back on the dash. 

I wondered if anyone had any ideas? I'm probably clutching at straws but wouldn't mind not spending fifteen hundred pound on a handbrake.

Any suggestions would be greatly received. Even anything to try with techstream, as I am no expert.

John G

5 hours ago, John G 80 said:

Hi, All.

I appreciate that this chat started sometime ago but I am hoping a few of you still use the forum and might be able to guide me. I have a 2016 Toyota Avensis touring that has come up with the same faults on the dash as Wisim's picture earlier in the chat. Saying that there is a parking brake fault. It also says however that there is a stop start issue as well. The car was at a Toyota dealer for a recall and so I asked them to diagnose it. They have come back saying it's the handbrake actuator that needs replaced (quote £1510). Nightmare. Especially when it will have to be done just to pass an MOT.

Anyway, based on the chat I got a copy of techstream just to see if there was anything it could tell me. Not that I don't believe the Toyota garage but the car and handbrake work perfectly fine. It clamps both wheels, the car drives perfectly well. Other than the warnings on the dash the car seems fine.

There is no signs of damage or water ingress on the actuator, all be it, I can't get to it properly due to its location on the back axle.

Using techstream when I clear the codes the parking fault goes away for about 30 miles or so. Where as the stop start fault only clears for a matter of seconds and is straight back on the dash. 

I wondered if anyone had any ideas? I'm probably clutching at straws but wouldn't mind not spending fifteen hundred pound on a handbrake.

Any suggestions would be greatly received. Even anything to try with techstream, as I am no expert.

John G

u thiink there is a option threw techstream to switch off stop start from coming on at all tbh for all the diesel it saves compared to ware and tare on the starter motor its hardly worth it im guessing. my car dont have that stop start on it but it sounds like a thing thank thank god i dont have 

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

u thiink there is a option threw techstream to switch off stop start from coming on at all tbh for all the diesel it saves compared to ware and tare on the starter motor its hardly worth it im guessing. my car dont have that stop start on it but it sounds like a thing thank thank god i dont have 

Hi Joe,

I'm not fussed about the stop start actually working. Ultimately I'm just looking to clear the lights long enough to get the car through an MOT.

Just not sure why Toyota say it's the parking brake actuator when I can clear the parking fault for a bit, but not the stop-start fault.

I know these systems are all inter-linked, but when the car and handbrake work fine I do grudge spending 1500. 

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for things to check or try to either fix it or remove the fault light.

John G 80

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 8:49 PM, John G 80 said:

Just not sure why Toyota say it's the parking brake actuator when I can clear the parking fault for a bit, but not the stop-start fault.

I know these systems are all inter-linked, but when the car and handbrake work fine I do grudge spending 1500.

I have not had the problem myself, but from what I have read on here and elsewhere, the EPB warning light is almost a generic "something is wrong" warning light. Occasionally it is actually the EPB that is at fault, but often it is something else completely. So either check things in depth yourself with a laptop and the Techstream software, or have a good auto electrician that is familiar with Toyotas diagnose it properly for you.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, Cessna said:

I have not had the problem myself, but from what I have read on here and elsewhere, the EPB warning light is almost a generic "something is wrong" warning light. Occasionally it is actually the EPB that is at fault, but often it is something else completely. So either check things in depth yourself with a laptop and the Techstream software, or have a good auto electrician that is familiar with Toyotas diagnose it properly for you.

Please advise a new Avensis Owner about Techstream software.

Many thanks and best wishes, John

8 minutes ago, JARC1 said:

Please advise a new Avensis Owner about Techstream software.

Many thanks and best wishes, John

Read my original post and replies. My car has been mostly fine apart from the odd idle behaviour. The Techstream I used 4 years ago was an old version of Techstream with a minor hack. I downloaded from a car diagnostic site, because the software I got with the cable from eBay, didn't work properly. The download at the time was a newer version than the one I had, so worked better. It would be better to go to the official Toyota site and 'rent'  

A lot of good quality semi pro/pro diagnostics have improved to deal with these type of systems. A good auto electrician should have the right kit to deal with this. As I mentioned earlier, my car has been mostly fine, so have not needed to use diagnostics to fix my car in a long while, and when I plugged my Launch to check something, no faults were stored. 
My Avensis 2009, 1.8 Valvematic Tourer has done just over 100,000 miles.

11 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Read my original post and replies. My car has been mostly fine apart from the odd idle behaviour. The Techstream I used 4 years ago was an old version of Techstream with a minor hack. I downloaded from a car diagnostic site, because the software I got with the cable from Ebay, didn't work properly. The download at the time was a newer version than the one I had, so worked better. It would be better to go to the official Toyota site and 'rent'  

A lot of good quality semi pro/pro diagnostics have improved to deal with these type of systems. A good auto electrician should have the right kit to deal with this. As I mentioned earlier, my car has been mostly fine, so have not needed to use diagnostics to fix my car in a long while, and when I plugged my Launch to check something, no faults were stored. 
My Avensis 2009, 1.8 Valvematic Tourer has done just over 100,000 miles.

I do have a iCarsoft PRO, which I assume will work well with my 2012 Avensis 4 D 4 2.0 Ltr. Being all makes it will programme straight into Toyota. It works well on my other car a Jaguar.

Many thanks and Regards, John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JARC1 said:

I do have a iCarsoft PRO, which I assume will work well with my 2012 Avensis 4 D 4 2.0 Ltr. Being all makes it will programme straight into Toyota. It works well on my other car a Jaguar.

Many thanks and Regards, John

What's that like to techstream u have to load that all on a laptop to look threw car to find out things like techstream or is it one of those devices .I bought a autel 808 pro scanner but haven't really used it much .I put my car when I got it on techstream I have and turned off anoying beeps etc that were bugging me and did away with push clutch in to start .

On 10/11/2022 at 9:48 AM, 2009joe said:

What's that like to techstream u have to load that all on a laptop to look threw car to find out things like techstream or is it one of those devices .I bought a autel 808 pro scanner but haven't really used it much .I put my car when I got it on techstream I have and turned off anoying beeps etc that were bugging me and did away with push clutch in to start .

iCarsoft Pro is a very good interactive diagnostic unit that has full support from manufacturer (if you need it) and can be an extremely good piece of equipment in the right hands.

https://www.icarsoft.com

Beat Wishes and Regards, John

7 hours ago, JARC1 said:

iCarsoft Pro is a very good interactive diagnostic unit that has full support from manufacturer (if you need it) and can be an extremely good piece of equipment in the right hands.

https://www.icarsoft.com

Beat Wishes and Regards, John

This site can’t be reached

www.icarsoft.com’s server IP address could not be found.

not coming up for me 

On 10/11/2022 at 9:48 AM, 2009joe said:

Techstream has to loaded on to a laptop, though some came preloaded on laptops for professional use. Same goes for the Delphi software. Both came with cable - mini VCI USB to OBD2 for the Techstream, USB to OBD2 with bluetooth for the Delphi. I also have a stand alone Launch which can do most things, but not a patch on Techstream.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links