Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heat sheild

JoeP

Hi All, 

I have a 2012 avensis tourer. Its been rattling at idle around exchaust area and I have been told its the heat shield thats rusted through and I need to replace at a hundred and odd quid.

Car is still under warranty but this isn't covered as its corrosion. Car has only done 33,000 miles.  I was wondering if anyone else has had this and if it sounds right that its not covered under warranty. Surely a 5 year old car shouldn't have problems with things corroding

Usually exhaust shields corrode around the bolt fixings.  Often fitting a large washer cures it.  I agree it shouldn't rust in the first instant tho.

• Like 1

Presumably it is your dealer's service department who have said it is not covered under warranty. Might be worthwhile posing the question to Toyota GB customer service - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us

Thanks I will contact them now

Well here is toyotas reply which in my opinion is poor. They are not interested

They also mentioned that with the corrosion on the heat shield, that the low mileage on the vehicle suggests that the car may have been stationary for significant amounts of time allowing for moisture to settle on the thin heat shield material and accelerating the corrosion.

A replacement heat shield would possibly involve removing the back-box which will push the price up further if you're not doing it yourself. I recently repaired the shield on my t25 - 2008. It was very tight but I was able to fabricate brackets to bridge the holes on three of the bolt holes which had failed. It's not rust but bi-metal corrosion which rots through the aluminium. I had to disconnect two of the rubber hangers to gain access but avoided having to split the exhaust. It's now better than new and cost pennies. 

Mine went through on my 2006 avensis t25...pulled it off and not bothered to put it back on if I'm honest

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes done mine too on T25.in and out no worries.though the out part was easy there was nothing left on it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links