Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Engine from the BMW is in the Verso diesel?

LOVEJAP

When rebuilding it I noticed something didn't look right with one of the lifters.... on closer inspection of the cam assembly and strip down I found this:-
20191110_192701.thumb.jpg.7b05a0a98280a0055020fe3b1dffe296.jpg

20191110_192729.thumb.jpg.c7062447c24e312fb32ae4318309e347.jpg

20191110_192717.thumb.jpg.19875297fd11eb9fb00cd754597407b5.jpg

But even worse was underneath!

Continued.... only 3 lifters were not broken, the other 13 were all mashed
20191110_193605smaller.thumb.jpg.597252f85c947642d4e6980d390c4478.jpg

20191110_193736smaller.thumb.jpg.acc95683a1da28b14820a0769e7b4618.jpg

So I painstakingly fished out all the erroneous roller pins and counted them to make sure non got away. Most of them only fell out when I put them in the tray but there were a few in the bottom of the head.

So I found on eBay, a complete cylinder head for sale on eBay for £100 in birmingham from a 1.6 BMW Mini Countryman thing. It had all the rockers and cam assemblies etc.

So cleaned all that lot up, and rebuilt it with those bits.

20191101_140717smaller.thumb.jpg.97b602ea5f9affab02f3b832bd560311.jpg

20191101_140708smaller.thumb.jpg.3609ca44b1752742e1bfa01470fee2e0.jpg

20191101_140752smaller.thumb.jpg.50e685b37dcc0eb098d445f89de4a484.jpg

Please to say its all put back together and runs lovely and quiet, really smooth. Ticks over and drives better than it did before it went wrong!

Although the first time I ran it after putting it back together, it didn't run very well at all. Turns out I didn't have the timing set quite right. I re pegged it and adjusted the top pulley a bit and that transformed the way it ran. Less diesel knock and rattle, also starts better. There went another 10 hours  into trying to make it run right.The amount of time that has gone into this is insane.

Parts wise its stands me at about £310:-
Timing chain kit £100
Timing chain setting tools £23
Oil/filter/gearbox oil £70
Second hand cylinder head £100 + fuel and time to collect.
Sealant and some various seals about £20

But labour wise we are talking easily 35 hours. Probably more, I don't really want to think about it. And I would never do this job again. (well not too soon anyway)

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Just come back to comment, a couple of thousand miles down the road this is running great. Better than it ever has done over the years. I think the timing must have jumped a tooth a long time ago due to worn chain and top sprocket before it totally failed.

Having spoke to other people in the game about these n47 engines, this was very common territory, BMW Mini, 3 and 5 series, Verso, Rav4 and Avensis all have this very common problem, some down at 40k miles, some make it to 100k miles.

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:19 PM, threepot said:

Just come back to comment, a couple of thousand miles down the road this is running great. Better than it ever has done over the years. I think the timing must have jumped a tooth a long time ago due to worn chain and top sprocket before it totally failed.

Having spoke to other people in the game about these n47 engines, this was very common territory, BMW Mini, 3 and 5 series, Verso, Rav4 and Avensis all have this very common problem, some down at 40k miles, some make it to 100k miles.

I’m scared reading this … with my 2018 Avensis ‘D4D’ (1WW)..  I’ll be changing the oil every 5k miles with genuine ‘Toyota’ (BMW) parts then and hoping for the best 

Think you need to take this into context.

Of the three owners who have reported timing chain issues in this topic, one didn't adhere to the required service intervals - doing between 18 and 22,000 between services - which is important for any engine with a timing chain.

I'm not saying there isn't a potential problem, but the fact is that reports of timing chain issues on these forums for the BMW engine Toyota used, have been few and far between. In fact, going back some years, there were far more reported problems with head gasket issues on the early Toyota AD series engines. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think you need to take this into context.

Of the three owners who have reported timing chain issues in this topic, one didn't adhere to the required service intervals - doing between 18 and 22,000 between services - which is important for any engine with a timing chain.

I'm not saying there isn't a potential problem, but the fact is that reports of timing chain issues on these forums for the BMW engine Toyota used, have been few and far between. In fact, going back some years, there were far more reported problems with head gasket issues on the early Toyota AD series engines. 

I have always done usually 7,000 on average oil changes on my last two cars (Fiat 1.2 FIRE engines / PSA BlueHDI120). The old Fiat engine was 10 years when I got it but it was so clean and burned / leaked no oil miraculously until 15 years.. Never kept the other two engines long enough but always used Castrol Magnatec oil. 

For this Toyota, I will use the genuine oil (it's not so badly priced online £50 or so for the 6L). I know Castrol could be got for £30 or so on offer... but given the 'special' traits of the genuine just for the 1WW / 2WW I think it might make a difference???

I will be here for the long haul I think.. if there are issues I'm sure to experience them. But I will stick to frequent oil changes using the proper Toyota stuff (Even if my wallet takes a beating for it).

Hopefully I will get lucky, or find that the horror stories aren't so common. I bought this car on the basis that 'Toyota wouldn't put crap in their cars, BMW or not'

I will give it to them, that the engine feels phenomenally smooth to drive, perhaps that is the Avensis (versus my old smaller less refined diesel DS3) but there's little to no vibration or sound from it.

• 7 months later...

Hello there fellow owners, I recently got a used 2016 Verso with the N47C16A engine. Does anyone know if it has chain problems?

35 minutes ago, Johnny_be_good said:

Hello there fellow owners, I recently got a used 2016 Verso with the N47C16A engine. Does anyone know if it has chain problems?

See my post of 20th February earlier in this topic.

• 4 weeks later...

For many months I have commented on how noisy my diesel verso had become (BMW powered). Finally 3 weeks ago the engine light appeared. A trip to local garage dianosed fault code P0016 Camshaft/Crankshaft correlation problem. Their news was doom & gloom but cleared the fault code. 3 days later it was back. Thanks to this forum and plenty of info on the web, I knew it was going to cost a fair few quid. Car went to local Toyota to be once again diagnosed and the same fault code came up. Car fully serviced at dealer since new 2014, 68k on clock. Initial call confirmed timing chain had stretched and would call me back with prices. Armed with plenty of info off the  internet I waited for the 2nd call. Then came the good news - Toyota Relax Warranty!!! Its all covered. So starting next week, the verso will have its engine removed and the timing chain etc replaced. Fingers crossed it will sound much better and go on for many more trouble free miles.