Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid or 1.2 t

catnash

Have seen online a Auris hybrid business edition with the tss,  is it only the excel that has LED main and dipped beams?

Also seen a 1.2t in the same spec but obviously cheaper, nearly £3000 in fact.  My heart and head say to go for the Hybrid.  Any latest model real owner reviews I can have or check out?  

i would go with the hybrid as its a bigger engine ,the engine will be less stressed during everyday driving

over the 1.2T, the little 1.2  will have to be revved to get the auris to move due to the nature of it being

turbo charged ,its a big car for the engine size.

• Like 1

Id have to test the 'automatic' set up been manual for so long,  Wife had a 59 plate 1.33 auris but currently Im in a qashqai/focus, just that the warranty on the Auris is very appealing and having a dealer in the town I work in is a big bonus.

the gearbox is a CVT transmission so its a little different to a full auto

as in you only have 1 gear so once you start moving you will keep on

accelerating, with a cvt when you floor it you can hear the engine

as the engine will rev first and then you move, against the engine 

becoming louder as your revs & speed increase 

have a test drive and see which one you like.

i personally would only have a hybrid now since 2013 we have had a

CT200h, Honda Jazz hybrid (ima),a 13 plate Auris hybrid & an IS300h

we still have the IS & the Auris

• Like 1

Personally I would only consider a hybrid. When I bought mine I thought i would be a gamble, after more than 18 months, I know it wasn't a gamble. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I bought the hybrid.. Took me months to get used to it a bit but i still don't enjoy driving it. I do enjoy a manual shift more as it has more power. Altough that is partly just an idea. Because there is no traditional acceleration sound, it seems like the hybrid auris is not moving at all.

A test drive didn't say anything. I was so overwhelmed and trying to get used to the automatic and to the specific hybrid stuff that i didn't have any experience at all. Struggling to keep it moving. A hybrid car drives totally different than a manual shift.
What was described before in this topic feels to me like a lot of noise and no movement of the car.

It accelerates slowly... Cruising is nice though (and silent).

Great for 'cheap' drives as the consumption is rather low if you drive a lot of distances under 40 mph.  On the highway or even more in short drives, the engine uses petrol like other cars. The consumtion does not pay back the extra cost for the hybrid.
Good things are that on the hybrid a lot of parts don't exist , so they can't break down.

Cheers, food for thought its going to be a tough descision, it is £2800 more expensive,  I dont do much city/town driving,  warranty of nearly five years is so tempting compared to a qashqai of 10 months....

Have you had a test drive yet?

The only thing that caught me out was the brakes, I thought that I had hit something when pulling back up at the dealers. At the low speed the normal brakes take over from the regenerative  braking. :happy:

nope not yet, the car/s are at motorpoint, just need a free day to go and get drives, there is a local toyota dealer I could have a go.

I have done that before :happy:

From what I've heard the 1.2T is a surprisingly powerful engine; I think it replaced either the 1.6 or 1.8VVTi.

Don't be fooled by the 1.8 in the HSD either; The 1.2T is a much more powerful engine. I don't know what magical voodoo they've done with that turbo but the engine has far more low-down torque than I feel it should. You have to rev the 1.33VVTi a lot harder to make it work than you do the 1.2T!!

The HSD has a stronger/more immediate feeling launch off the line but that 1.2T really hauls at surprisingly low revs. (I'm used to turbos not doing anything until you hit at least 3000rpm but the 1.2T comes on a lot lower down; It feels more like a diesel! Not as low-down torque-y as a real diesel, but you get the gist.)

If you want to maximise efficiency, get the HSD. If you just want to drive the thing, the 1.2T.

If you want an autobox, HSD wins. If you want a manual, 1.2T.

Long term reliability, the HSD probably wins as it is proven while the 1.2T is still quite new; OTOH most mechanics would be more confident with the 1.2T as it's pretty normal tech. (My travelling mechanic won't touch HSDs! :sad:).

It is a real tough call as they both have their big plusses. I think you'll have to have a play in both of them for a bit to help you :naughty:. The difference in cost is tough tho' - It'd take a long time for the HSD to recoup that £3000 given the small difference in mpg, although the way things are going they might start slapping extra taxes on petrol cars again once they've finished milking all us diesel folk so nothing's certain!

• Like 3

yep will try to haggle as motorpoint own me a favour, will see over the next few days, if the diference was half that id see which one I prefer to drive.

Hybrid! I'll never go back to a conventional car!

I can still remember the first time I drove a Hybrid (I did it more out of curiosity than because I wanted one) - I fell in love with it immediately. I went away and researched exactly how they worked, and I could not buy one fast enough.

Yes, they are a bit more expensive (I don't really understand why), but they are a lot better. They are simpler, and far more reliable as a result. That on its own is worth the premium you pay.

Also, because of the whole way they operate, they are easier on the engine than a conventional car (they limit the RPM at 4800 RPM whereas a conventional car will hit 6000 RPM under hard acceleration) and the engine generally runs at a lower RPM during cruise. In town, the engine isn't running at all.

Mine has 15k on the clock (it's 20 months old) and only feels to be run in now. I plan to keep it as long as possible! I fear age will get to it before usage wears anything out.

Me too, since the all electric is not an option for me at the moment.

I find it amazing that my Battery holds the equivalent to a 1/5 of a litre of petrol and yet it will keep you moving for longer compared to a normal car.

When I first got the car, my furthest distance on EV was the stated 1/2 mile before the Battery was empty. I have learned that without the lead weighted boots, you can stretch that out much further.

• Like 1

Interesting - I think for the Yaris the official EV distance is 1.2 miles, but of course terrain and speed affect this. I get closest to this figure on a flat road at 40 MPH (and that is not even starting from a full battery).

Sorry I forgot to mention, That I was talking about the Auris having the 1/2 mile. The best that I have done is close to 5 miles, with the ICE getting me going from the traffic lights for the short time it takes to get back to the 40mph limit, with no noticeable time to charge the Battery. The Yaris is my Mothers and I have yet to record the OBD data for the same trip and compare both cars. The Yaris should do twice as well as the Auris, even though the Battery is smaller.

• Like 1

Why's that? Simply because it is lighter??

Yes and going by the EV range being twice what the Auris is.

My challenge is to put it to the test and get the data. :smile:

• Like 1

Good luck! :D

Test drove the 1.2 the other day and was underwhelmed.  Was a 66 plate with 3k on it - had good acceleration, good pull in 1st-3rd, felt like it would struggle more up hill/with weight in though.  Was a bit more jumpy when applying/releasing the accelerator than my standard 1.6 petrol and when looking through the record of mpgs recorded on the car they were all below 40mpg.  On my test drive I reset the mpg clock and got 44, drove the same route afterwards and got 46 on my 1.6 (computer is almost spot on on mine from brim to brim comparisons - regularly get 46-49mpg on my car)!  OK I'm sure that the 1.2 would improve when I got used to it and it was a bit more run in but concluded that I much preferred my current 2.5yr old car to the 6 month old one!!!  Smoother to drive, less to go wrong, almost as efficient.........

Also the 1.2 had TSS which I'd prefer to see tested a bit more before I buy in to it (the 1.2 engine seems to have had few issues but again is relatively new).  

If the reg' is FJ66 Z.... the Motorpoint car will have come from the same fleet source as the one I test drove - check bodywork etc carefully!

Be interested in your views of the hybrid.

I know theres a special towbar for a bikerack, could I get a ball type for my current Thule  2 and 4 bike rack?

@Willss

I can only suggest finding a hybrid and going for a test drive.

They are slightly different to drive, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

On 5/9/2017 at 7:36 AM, Willss said:

Test drove the 1.2 the other day and was underwhelmed.  Was a 66 plate with 3k on it - had good acceleration, good pull in 1st-3rd, felt like it would struggle more up hill/with weight in though.  Was a bit more jumpy when applying/releasing the accelerator than my standard 1.6 petrol and when looking through the record of mpgs recorded on the car they were all below 40mpg.  On my test drive I reset the mpg clock and got 44, drove the same route afterwards and got 46 on my 1.6 (computer is almost spot on on mine from brim to brim comparisons - regularly get 46-49mpg on my car)!  OK I'm sure that the 1.2 would improve when I got used to it and it was a bit more run in but concluded that I much preferred my current 2.5yr old car to the 6 month old one!!!  Smoother to drive, less to go wrong, almost as efficient.........

Also the 1.2 had TSS which I'd prefer to see tested a bit more before I buy in to it (the 1.2 engine seems to have had few issues but again is relatively new).  

If the reg' is FJ66 Z.... the Motorpoint car will have come from the same fleet source as the one I test drove - check bodywork etc carefully!

Be interested in your views of the hybrid.

one thing I will check is the bodywork,  hopefully testing one at a dealers tomorrow, mixed driving and have a look at the bike rack.

I've gone for the Hybrid, a white one 6 months old.  Hybrid although more expensive I will love the challenges of hypermileing.  So from what I can gather it will have 6 months AA cover left.  The estate would be too big for my needs at the moment,  the bike rack can be fitted to the hybrid, though not a towball hitch.   

Does the Battery health check extended warranty only has to be done once within 5 years? or every year?

I was going to buy a 2nd qashqai tekna for the same price but we have one already and the cost of tyres for the auris will be 1/2 the price of the qashqais 19" ones.

• Like 2