Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid or 1.2 t

catnash

I have 3 videos ready. 60-120 kmh with max 3000, 4000 and with kick down. 

Acceleration times are approx 19 sec with 3000 rpm, 12 sec with 4000 rpm and 9 sec with kick down. It was very hard to hold revs steady at a fixed value. 

Thanks for the videos Niels, they show perfectly how the car behaves under each scenario. I notice flappy paddles behind the steering wheel, what are they used for?

9 minutes ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

I notice flappy paddles behind the steering wheel, what are they used for?

To change gears.

8 minutes ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

Thanks for the videos Niels, they show perfectly how the car behaves under each scenario. I notice flappy paddles behind the steering wheel, what are they used for?

They are not very usefull. I don' use them. Instead I set the gearstick in manual mode, and uses it for engine breaking downhill. The hybrid has a 'B' option, the CVT dont. Apart from that, the paddles is a manual override to the gearbox automatic software, but you can't force the gearbox to a higher or lower gear, unless the software allows you to do so. 

1 hour ago, nielshm said:

They are not very usefull. I don' use them. Instead I set the gearstick in manual mode, and uses it for engine breaking downhill. The hybrid has a 'B' option, the CVT dont. Apart from that, the paddles is a manual override to the gearbox automatic software, but you can't force the gearbox to a higher or lower gear, unless the software allows you to do so. 

Right, so they added a mode which forces it to pretend that it has conventional gears? Bit of a weird arrangement in a CVT. Does it only work in manual mode or does the automatic mode have "gears" too?

6 minutes ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

Right, so they added a mode which forces it to pretend that it has conventional gears? Bit of a weird arrangement in a CVT. Does it only work in manual mode or does the automatic mode have "gears" too?

The sport mode has fake gears, from 0 to 160 it 'changes' gears about 8 times. It made to break up the constant engine noise at high revs. The sport mode also makes the engine respond faster becourse the engine revs are 800 rpm higher at any time. How ever, this uses more petrol than the ECO setting. 

1 hour ago, nielshm said:

The sport mode has fake gears, from 0 to 160 it 'changes' gears about 8 times. It made to break up the constant engine noise at high revs. The sport mode also makes the engine respond faster becourse the engine revs are 800 rpm higher at any time. How ever, this uses more petrol than the ECO setting. 

Interesting, can you record a vid showing how that works/sounds?

7 minutes ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

Interesting, can you record a vid showing how that works/sounds?

No problem. I just need to snow to melt :biggrin:

• Like 1

hmmm... Auris hybrid or 1.2T.

If I had to chose one, I pick the 1.2T as I prefer to me more involved in the driving experience.
But truth be told, I'd pick my Celica over either of those anyday! :biggrin:

This thread is a good read though. Looking forward to the sport mode vid. :thumbsup:

On 19/1/2018 at 9:30 PM, nielshm said:

No problem. I just need to snow to melt :biggrin:

Snow's gone, so the sport mode video is ready. It' hard to get the proper impression on film, without you beeing with me in the car. Biggest difference is the throttle response, wich is a lot better than the ECO setting. Revs are always 700 rpm higher all over the scale. 

Acceleration power is the same, when the car has started to move. So it does'nt get any faster, just becourse I push a button. 

Gears 'shifts' at 4000 rpm, drops 700 rpm, and repeats it self again and again. If the car is pushed hard, shifts is at 5000 rpm, but it does'nt feel a lot faster. 

• Like 1

Thank you that is interesting! I wish they deployed similar solution in HSD, even if it only was enabled in PWR mode.

28 minutes ago, 16_Auris_HSD said:

Thank you that is interesting! I wish they deployed similar solution in HSD, even if it only was enabled in PWR mode.

The fake shift solution is't optimal. The drop in revs is too little, 1000 rpm drop would feel more like a real upshift. 

At normal speed is uses 15% extra fuel due to higher revs, but you dont get a 15% better driving experience. At 120 kmh it uses the same fuel, weather it Eco or Sport mode. 

I prefer the “fake shift” solution as I sometimes find CVTs too noisy when doing a lot of accelerating.

Does it do this all the time or only when certain modes are selected? 

6 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

I prefer the “fake shift” solution as I sometimes find CVTs too noisy when doing a lot of accelerating.

Does it do this all the time or only when certain modes are selected? 

It' only in Sport mode. The normal nonhybrid CVT has only Eco mode and Sport mode. Engine noise is really low in Eco mode when cruising with speed pilot engaged. Is the videos shows, you can accelerate pretty quick, without revs go crazy. 

If some one with a Hybrid could make similar videos, that would really be interesting. I've not been driving a Auris Hybrid for nearly 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your posts and video. It’s brilliant to see how the CVT works in different situations 

Just found this from the Toyota website about the 1.2 CVT

The 1.2T version of the 2015 Auris will be available with Multidrive S, a continuously variable transmission with two modes – fully automatic, seamless shifting or a sequential, stepped seven-speed Sport mode.

In Sport mode, the system is optimised for response and direct engine control; the transmission step position can be selected using the gear lever or shift paddles mounted on the steering column. Sport mode also features precise cornering control. When it detects deceleration, it downshifts and applies engine braking to assist the braking force. On exiting a corner, predictive downshift logic ensures the optimum gear ration is selected for the required level of acceleration.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-auris-2015-engine-line-up-explained