Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid or 1.2 t

catnash

my pet hate about the auris is the position of the start button,i find its hidden behind the steering wheel

when i'm sitting in the car,i am so used to it being on the left in my own car that i have to stop and have a look for it.

1 hour ago, eygo said:

my pet hate about the auris is the position of the start button,i find its hidden behind the steering wheel

when i'm sitting in the car,i am so used to it being on the left in my own car that i have to stop and have a look for it.

I still reach for the wrong side, when I swap between our Auris and Yaris.

12 months on, I'm still going to the wrong side.

• 2 months later...

Well bit of an update, noticed some damage to the wing and a few marks on the bonnet.  Turned out the bonnet was removed.  Motorpoint Customer services were good.  So rather than spend more for the Hybrid Touring Sport, went for a 1.2 with £2500 back in my pocket.  Went over this one with the finest tooth comb...

One thing that has impressed me the most.  Solid car not a squeek, comfortable, when time comes for new tyres looking at cross climates.

IMG_20170811_140519117.jpg

Cross climates are great.  I had them on my Ford Focus and passed other cars stuck in snow many times. Excellent winter and summer tyres.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to be of help to the thread starter but i can shed some light on this for future readers.

I drove a brand new 16 reg auris touring sports 1.2t design for around 24,000 miles. This was a company car vehicle and as such i didnt fuss over test driving before ordering.

The vast bulk of my miles are racked up travelling between sites on the motorway, but when working at any one destination i will do lots of stop/start short journeys so a real mix of driving styles.

I had some naive hopes that the 1.2t would be as fun an engine as the 1.0 ford 125bhp ecoboost, with lots of low end torque advertised and a reasonable 0-62mph time. However, from the moment i climbed into it i was dissapointed with its acceleration from a standstill. It seemed sluggish pulling out at roundabouts and not the greatest at overtaking without having to drop down a gear, this car gives a textbook example of what it feels like to be frustrated by turbo lag. Apart from the slightly dissapointing acceleration the car was a reasonable cruiser on the motorway. It drove steady, quietly and economically. On a long motorway journey anything over 150 miles i would occasionally get up to the 55mpg mark which pleasantly surprised me. However when you added in my short stop/start journeys my overall average always dropped down to 47mpg and this became my long running combined mpg.

My least favourite part of the 1.2t model was the snatchy clutch it came with, which is something ive seen mentioned in a few reviews. I wonder if this model is best fitted with the cvt gearbox, which in real world driving probably gives faster accellaration from a standstill and better overtaking strength.

Moving on then to my new 17 reg auris touring sports 1.8 hybrid design. This is also a company car, ive done 13,000 miles in it since Feb, and its driven in the same circumstances as the 1.2t i drove i.e. high miles, mostly motorway, but with lots of short stop/start journeys too.

The 1.8 hybrid is advertised as having a slower 0-62mph time than the 1.2t. However, to me, the 1.8 hybrid feels significantly faster off the mark, and i would bet that in real world driving, without a test driver racing through the gears on the 1.2t, that the 1.8 hybrid would be the fatest of the two cars in a race from 0-62. 0-30mph im convinved the 1.8 hybrid would thrash the 1.2t The hybrid overtakes much more comfortably (in power mode) than the manual 1.2t thanks to the CVT gearbox which revs quickly (albeit loudly) and a good amount of torque. The 1.8 hybrid is equally as comfortable and quiet as the 1.2t on a long motorway drive. So for my style of driving and what i prefer in a vehicle (responsiveness, acceleration and comfort over mpg), the 1.8 hybrid mpg isnt worth talking about (the 17 inch wheels on the design model dont really help either). Its mpg is not much greater than the 1.2t was and so if i had bought the hybrid rather than it being a company car id be fairly aggravated i think. On long motorway journeys i get around 52mpg, obviously with shorter stop/start journeys i can get anywhere between 50-70mpg, but my current long running mpg is a poor 52 mpg, just 5mpg more than the 1.2t. (Dont worry I only got the hybrid thanks to reduction in company car tax).

So two identical cars driven for a reasonable number of miles each, in the exact same conditions, by the same driver. In terms of acceleration, driver pleasure, overtaking, the hybrid wins. In terms of comfort, the 1.2t and hybrid are on a par. In terms of value for money for buyers, the 1.2t makes much more sense to me given the poor mpg returned by the hybrid (taking into account i dont profess to drive a hybrid how a hybrid is meant to be driven to get best results). If id bought the hybrid with my own money, i would not be making the equivalent in fuel savings as the initial extra cost of the hybrid over the 1.2t. 

• Like 1

Well bit of an update, noticed some damage to the wing and a few marks on the bonnet.  Turned out the bonnet was removed.  Motorpoint Customer services were good.  So rather than spend more for the Hybrid Touring Sport, went for a 1.2 with £2500 back in my pocket.  Went over this one with the finest tooth comb...  

I had a 13 focus zetec s ecoboost prior to the Toyota's.  Brilliant handling.

Such a shame couldn't fit a hitch mounted 4 bike rack. On the hybrid. More of a turbo lag on the coboost though, clutch so far isn't grabby.

I must say I do disagree with saying the 1.2 isn't a fun engine, is brilliant, if you use all the revs it can shift, and top end it's pretty impressive. No it's not the fastest car off the line, but once your up there it's a lot better then the 1.0 eco boost engine. So much smoother and plus a lot more reliable (I would like to think) 

• 3 weeks later...

Good read :-) they look a million dollars in the flesh. what's the verdict on model range. Icon, Design etc ?

I've got a business edition.  I do like the blacked out windows and black wheels...

• Thanks 1

Very impressive drive the hybrid, little disappointing that it only reached 45mph on a trip up down the A444 Nuneaton 🤔 amazing but it's too big and the wife wants a Yaris instead 

1 hour ago, Ricey155 said:

Very impressive drive the hybrid, little disappointing that it only reached 45mph on a trip up down the A444 Nuneaton 🤔 amazing but it's too big and the wife wants a Yaris instead 

we had a yaris hybrid courtesy car ,my other half isnt too fussy when it comes to cars but even she thought the yaris hybrid was awful,

it had a rattley interior and the 1.5 hybrid engine was really noisy overall she was glad when it went back and the Auris was returned to her.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got that tow-hitch fitted.  Plenty of power for the hills round here.  Nearly at 10000 miles service time next month.  This is a solid car. 

IMG_20171016_131913593.jpg

we had a yaris hybrid courtesy car ,my other half isnt too fussy when it comes to cars but even she thought the yaris hybrid was awful,
it had a rattley interior and the 1.5 hybrid engine was really noisy overall she was glad when it went back and the Auris was returned to her.

I prefer my 2010 Auris hybrid to our 2013 Yaris hybrid for the same reason, quieter and more comfortable. Just a shame the Yaris will beat the Auris on acceleration while driving on electric, 0-30mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 30/09/2017 at 5:19 PM, eygo said:

11 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

I prefer my 2010 Auris hybrid to our 2013 Yaris hybrid for the same reason, quieter and more comfortable. 

The comparison is between cars from different market sectors - the Yaris will be less refined, noisier and less comfortable than the Auris. Just the same as my comparing the Aygo with my previous Auris or our i20.  They're built to compete at different price levels.

to be honest frosty  do people care about what market sector a car is from when making a purchase...... err no,

more important are fuel economy, quietness of the drive, comfortable seating & interior ,when purchasing a

hybrid you're certainly are expecting to have a nice quiet car to drive around in but surprisingly the Yaris is not

as its very noisy and badly put together our courtesy car was a few months old and expected a better experience.

I haven't said that people do care about the market sector.

However comparing the Yaris to the Auris, the Auris to the Avensis, the Fiesta to the Focus, the Lexus CT to the Lexus IS, etc is going to be an unfair comparison because whatever the market sector a car is in, the manufacturer builds the car to the standards of the market sector,  the higher the market sector the higher the levels of refinement, and comfort, the higher people's expectations, etc. It isn't rocket science.

Comparing the Yaris to the Fiesta, Polo, Corsa, etc will be the fairer comparison.

The Yaris has been Toyota's best seller in the UK for a number of years. The Yars outselling the Auris by around 3 to 1, so it cannot be that bad ........ Second best seller is the Aygo.

people have expectations of what a model of car will be like ,you see the adverts on the tv and you become sold

on that make / model of car, you then have expectations of what to expect based on what the manufacturer

prides itself in and experiences with the brand in question ,unfortunately you can quickly find the advert doesnt

portray an accurate description of real life expectations

....... and most people don't expect a supermini to be as refined or as comfortable as a larger, medium family car, unless they're naive.

if your implying something then say it to me dont hide behind words

May I just say that im getting fed up of reading sarcastic posts all the time. Specifically from so called management. Nobody is naive. I agree eygo, many people downsize from luxury cars to super-minis (purely for ease and economy) and want something that reflects quality. I have driven the new Yaris 1.5 and yes it feels cheap. Better than the Aygo but it should have a much better feel in my opinion. Everyone is allowed an opinion and I find it very unprofessional the amount of sarcasm that is used in a debate with someone. The word Respect springs to mind.

You only have to look at the iQ though to see that most people are not prepared to pay more for a better small car. They may want the advantages of a class or 2 above but they still seem to expect to pay a similar price to the rest of the class & it isn't possible  (especially with a hybrid drivetrain which is also more expensive to manufacture in the first place)...

I think the overall point is that the thread is veering off point..the entire purpose of this thread was to compare the pros/cons of the auris 1.2t and 1.8hsd. Frosty is right that you can't deliver a very fair review of the auris hsd based on a bad experience of driving yaris hsd, but that's isn't what eygo was doing, eygo was just giving some feedback on the yaris to anthonypoli who indicated an intention to buy a yaris. Everyone actually appears to be arguing about different things.

If anyone reading is interested to know however, having driven all kinds of combinations of yaris and auris, the auris hsd is more refined in many ways than the yaris hsd, and in much the same way, the auris 1.2t is more refined than the 1.3 yaris. I think that is to be expected though and that is where the point about market sector comes in. 

Auris design is more refined than yaris design

focus zetec is more refined than fiesta zetec

astra sri is more refined than corsa sri

• Like 1

Not hiding behind words and not being sarcastic.

As stated, if people think a supermini from the same manufacturer is going to be as refined as a medium family car, from the same manufacturer, it won't be. Statement of fact.

In respect of the Yaris, it is now one of the oldest designs in its sector and must be due for replacement soon - the current version being just a facelift of the 2011 model.

Currently in Europe the Toyota car range with the exception of the Aygo and C-HR, is quite old (the rest being built in Japan/South Africa). The Verso dates back to 2009, the Avensis to 2009 (but probably won't be directly replaced), and the Auris is a reworked version of the 2007 Auris (and carried forward the Type Approval from 2007).

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, myothercarisawarthog said:

If anyone reading is interested to know however, having driven all kinds of combinations of yaris and auris, the auris hsd is more refined in many ways than the yaris hsd, and in much the same way, the auris 1.2t is more refined than the 1.3 yaris. I think that is to be expected though and that is where the point about market sector comes in. 

Auris design is more refined than yaris design

focus zetec is more refined than fiesta zetec

astra sri is more refined than corsa sri

We're all right, in different ways, and there's no need for anyone to take offence. For one thing, ride quality and the lack of rattles are affected by wheelbase length - I'd always expect my Auris Touring Sport to be quieter and more solid than a Yaris, if only for that reason. As it happens, though, some post-2013 models (petrol and hybrid) have more sophisticated rear suspension which is also a positive.

Frosty's point about market sectors is also relevant. There's no sector that's more competitive than the Focus/Golf size, and since the Auris's handling isn't class-leading (and the dash layout is a bit tired), it would be reasonable for Toyota to trick it out with enough toys to keep the fleet buyers happy. And despite everything, hardly any car manufacturer is making any money from this mid sector. Smaller cars (Fiesta/Peugeot 208/Kia) just aren't so exposed to the chill winds of competition, so they make more money despite offering less. Simples.

As for build quality, I wouldn't expect the world's best selling car to have niggles. This is at least as good as the four Volkswagens I've owned, and that means it's solid.:laugh:

• 2 months later...

There is the but dyno( how fast we feel a car is) and the real numbers (how fast a car is in reality).

The above effect that the hybrid is faster is described from everyone who has test both cars, but the real figures say that 1.2 turbo  is actually much faster :)

Furthermore the Germans " automoto und sport" comparing focus 1.0 125 ps and auris 1.2 turbo says that auris is faster. https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/vergleichstest/ford-focus-10-ecoboost-vs-toyota-auris-12t-9988760.html

if anyone wants details i can provide numbers.

So dont get fooled because 1.2 turbo is very very linear and quiet, but its much faster than the hybrid and the focus.

here is a link to 1.2 turbo vs hybrid in ch-r