Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top oil on ABS

KJNEAL

My wife has a Toyota RAV4 XT3 2006 petrol auto, the 'Check ABS system' occasionally comes on but when you stop switch off ign and the on again the message has gone and might not appear again for days. Someone suggested topping up the fluid for the ABS, any ideas, does that sound right, if so where is it topped up at in the engine bay. As you probably gather not technically minded, so any suggestions EXTREMELY welcome.

If the brake fluid is low, the brake warning lamp illuminates - that's the one which is alight when the handbrake has not been released.  The ABS is something else.  Could be dirt on a wheel rotor causing the signal to be lost, but it could be other, less straightforward, issues.

Thanks Ian, perhaps where brakes are concerned the dreaded Toyota garage might have to be the solution.

My Toyota Owners manual says "A warning light turning on briefly during operation does not indicate a problem".  So if it is infrequent and only on for a short time, I wouldn't hot-foot it to the stealer.  Just keep an eye on it.  If it becomes more frequent and stays on for longer and longer, that's the time to get your wallet out.

If you don't have an Owners manual,  there is a pdf download available here.  It is probably the US version, but would be nearly all applicable.  I think the main difference would be the alarm and keyfob details 

Thanks again Ian, will watch & wait.