Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost Of Trip

eightball1

When you enter the price of fuel, is it in litres or gallons.

Doesn't say in the manual.

Its in gallons, so I just multiply the litres by 4.546

Harters,

That should be "Divide" by 4.546.

• Like 1

I think we should campaign for the return of gallons once we brexit :biggrin:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, kithmo said:

Couldn't agree more - we're still (allegedly) a sovereign nation, we should never have adopted litres in the first place.

I'm also really annoyed when programmes made by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) give measurements in Kilometres, without even stating what that is in British Imperial measure!

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, kithmo said:

Not just gallons, but the rest of Imperial measurements.

My wife went into sweet shop on Wednesday and asked for a quarter of sweets, which nonplussed the sales assistant completely.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sooty said:

Harters,

That should be "Divide" by 4.546.

LOL that's what I meant :blush:

• Like 1

I like that we're the only country on this planet that is comfortable using both :happy:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PeteB said:

we should never have adopted litres in the first place.

I'm also really annoyed when programmes made by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) give measurements in Kilometres, without even stating what that is in British Imperial measure!

I thought the UK was a metric country, just never got the job finished. Can't understand why you all use miles, gallons, MPH and MPG.  So backward.

If you want to bury your head in the sand and not move forward, with what is ostensively a more logical system of weights and measures, then the onus is on you to work it out.

The fact that the UK and the USA are about the only countries in the world hanging on this archaic system (and even the Brits and Yanks can't agree on a coherent system!) speaks volumes.  Crumbs, even all the countries of the Commonwealth are metric and most have be for over half a century or more.

To be correct it is kilometres, not Kilometres.

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to work with the metric system.  Much better than inches->feet->yards->chains->furlongs->miles or ounces->pounds->stones->hundredweights->tons etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 0:09 PM, johalareewi said:

It's a lot easier to work with the metric system.  Much better than inches->feet->yards->chains->furlongs->miles or ounces->pounds->stones->hundredweights->tons etc.

...but it is boring! :biggrin:

• Like 2

On 2017-5-12 at 0:09 PM, johalareewi said:

It's a lot easier to work with the metric system.

So you no doubt won't be impressed to hear I still think in pounds, shillings and pence!

Can't believe I pay over 12 shillings for the cheapest postage stamp!

• Like 6

The US and the UK are not the only countries that continue to use elements of the imperial system of measurements - including India, Hong Kong, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Malaysia, Phillipines, Sri Lanka, South Africa, and some others

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The US and the UK are not the only countries that continue to use elements of the imperial system of measurements - including India, Hong Kong, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Malaysia, Phillipines, Sri Lanka, South Africa, and some others

yeah, after Brexit, we should reclaim the commonwealth countries (most of them are included in the above) whilst they're still using imperial units.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kithmo said:

yeah, after Brexit, we should reclaim the commonwealth countries (most of them are included in the above) whilst they're still using imperial units.

I was going to point out that most of them are former colonies of the UK, so not surprising! :laugh:  The UK had the largest empire ever witnessed.

On 21/05/2017 at 11:26 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

...   that continue to use elements of the imperial system of measurements   ...

21 hours ago, kithmo said:

I hate to break it to you, but they do not use imperial units by and large. The elements to which I presume Frosty was referring are things like wheel sizes and TVs sizes in inches. Things like that that get imported from overseas, but otherwise metric all the way and never looking back.

I was telling my children about the imperial system of weights and measures. They just looked at me with disbelief as if I was pulling their leg.

As for reclaiming the commonwealth, that ship sailed when Britain joined the EEC (as it was at the time). Some things just can't be undone.

Examples of Imperial measurements used include -

Aviation - the majority of countries specify altitude in feet

Air and marine navigation - nautical mile (originally 1852 metres, now rounded up to an even number of metres). knot

Ireland - pubs selling beer in pints, some foodstuffs sold in 454g packs (directly equivalent to 1lb)

UK - some imperial units legally mandated for use (speed, distance, road width and length restrictions, draught beer/cider, etc).

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Examples of Imperial measurements used include -

Aviation - the majority of countries specify altitude in feet

Air and marine navigation - nautical mile (originally 1852 metres, now rounded up to an even number of metres). knot   ...

I have to disagree about the majority of the world, as all of Russia and Mainland  Europe use metres for height and metres and kilometres for distances; km/h for speed.  The rest of the world is locked into some aspects of the Imperial system as you noted due to the US and to a lesser extent the UK showing no appetite to use the metric system.  Otherwise most of aviation is metric, in that, all aviation meteorology is metric, aviation distances on the ground is metric, runway lengths in metres, etc. Really only navigation units are Imperial – knots, nautical miles and feet for height. Believe me we would rather be completely metric, but due to the international influences, it is not in our control.

Air and marine navigation for reasons more relevant to nautical considerations they remain, a bit like trying to metricate the time system. As the people involved in those fields are a "closed shop" it doesn't really matter to much. To the general population all the units of weights and measures are metric.

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

...   UK - some imperial units legally mandated for use (speed, distance, road width and length restrictions, draught beer/cider, etc).

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.  But why?

Why not! No need to slavishly follow others. If that is what suits the country - fine.

Time to return to the subject of the thread - cost of trip.