Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finding power for dash cam

-Jonny-

I'm a new happy owner of a Verso (leaving behind my '00 Corolla fastback) and am looking to add a dash-cam to it (as I had several front-end smacks on my Corolla).

The two things I'm looking for is

1. where to get the power from
  2. where to mount the dash-cam

I have decided to hard-wire it. So, I was thinking of piggy-back from a fuse (CIG/ACC-B look like a target). This would mean I couldn't replace the fuse cover. Has anyone any experience of tapping into a power source? Where did you tap into?

I also think maybe the best place to mount it is behind the mirror on the passenger side. It would need to be low enough to sit under the mirror cluster box, which is maybe a little annoying for my passenger. Has anyone mounted a dash-cam? Where did you put it?

Mounting will depend on personal preference and the len's viewing angle. I mounted mine high up and near the mirror so it could look down and minimise 'sky flare' but this has the unfortunate side effect of lots of reflections of me!

I'm trying to source a circular polarizer to see if this helps, although I was at the cinema last weekend and realised the 3D glasses they use are circular polarized so I'm going to pop out one of the lenses and see if I can tape it to the front of the camera...

As for power, I assume you are getting one of those 12V to 5v USB converter boxes - If so, you can find a path to one of the lighter sockets and tap off from that.

I have an XCarlink MP3 player and am using the USB port on that to power my Dashcam, but you could tap one of the 12V lines going into your headunit for the convertor box too; Only tricky thing is you'll need to test them all with a multimeter or find a wiring diagram for your Verso's headunit...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cyker,

I am going to try and fit it to my dome light cluster. There is constant power there, and there's also a signal of when ancillary is on. The ancillary is too low power to run cam, so I'm going to use a relay switch and use the constant power as source. Yes I have a 5v box.

I couldn't find an easy way to run wire from ceiling to fuse box, and am a bit concerned plating with the posts as they have airbag written in them! So I think this'll be the neatest way to hide the wires.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk