Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Hybrid System

zetor

My wife was driving the Auris Hybrid and suddenly the speed dropped to 40KPH and a warning said "Check Hybrid System" We had to have it taken to a local garage who will check it tomorrow, I'm thinking that the small 12v Battery has failed, any other possible reasons?

Small Battery is not really a part of the hybrid system..  Wouldn't fail while driving either and wouldn't be probable to cause you to go into 'limp mode'. The limp home mode is a normal thing to happen in case of malfunctions on modern cars; if the computer decides something is wrong, it will allow yoiu to drive but only slowly, to encourage you to just drive home or to the dealership.

I have heard about high voltage plugs nog being plugged in well enough any more, maybe caused by vibrations ? These just need to be plugged in decently again and you can go on your way again. Let the dealer or a mechanic do it... All stuff remains high voltage in that area..

Broken Battery is a possible cause, though not probable. I guess it is not an old car. According to your profile from 2011....
Other things are possible too I guess but haven't heard of anything being a common failure for Auris hybrid.

Thanks for the info, I had the car towed to my local garage who said they could check it out but couldn't do a full diagnostic and said it would have to go to a Toyota dealer which is where it has now gone so one day wasted and I need the car for Saturday for our trip to the UK, it's looking a bit unlikely now.

I think the first step would be to read the codes from the computer but this wasn't done in her case i suppose.
The mechanic decided for safety reasons the car would have had to be towed away.
If a P3000 code would appear (using a Scangauge or UIltragauge you can see and reset it too) that would be a general hybrid system failure.
A P3006 is one of the cells being out of specs on voltage i think (from memory)...
If no codes at all, you could start to think about other things but the poster's wife did see a hybrid system error on her dashboard, he says.

For Zetor : if the problem is benign, which is still possible, you can get it back on time, I suppose. A lot is done and found with computers on this car. Doesn't have to take ages.
Very curious what it will be though.

It's a 2011 with how many miles/kilometers on it ?

Edit : looked up some codes .. from an Old Prius, they still seem to be in use on newer hybrids, for whoever would need it or would find it useful.
Also gives an idea what things can go wrong, ... and there are many more :)

P3000 High Voltage Battery Fault
P3001 High Voltage Battery ECU Fault
P3002 High Voltage Battery ECU Communication Fault
P3004 High Voltage Power Cable Fault
P3005 High Voltage Fuse Blown
P3006 High Voltage Battery State Of Charge Uneven
P3009 High Voltage Leak Detected
P3010 High Voltage Battery Resistance Fault
P3011 to
P3029
High Voltage Battery Module 1 to 19 Fault
P3030 High Voltage Battery Monitor Circuit Fault
P3060 High Voltage Battery Temperature Sensor or Circuit Fault
P3076 High Voltage Battery Cooling Fan Abnormal Air Flow
P3077 High Voltage Battery Cooling Fan Motor or Circuit Fault
P3100 High Voltage Battery ECU Fault
P3101 Engine System Fault
P3105 High Voltage Battery ECU or Communication Circuit Fault
P3106 Engine ECM or Communication Circuit Fault

Or more modern version :

https://www.ecrostech.com/prius/GenInfo/DTCs/HVECU.htm

Thanks for all the input much appreciated, I will keep you updated, my millage is coming up to 140,000km so above average maybe for a 6 year 2 month old car it has been regularly serviced, have to say this is the very first major problem I have had.

Just had a call from Toyota to say they found the problem, something to do with the inverter didn't get any more info then that and the repair will cost €2600, that's not a typo btw.

ouch...   That's not a very good outcome. I see a lot cheaper ones on eBay but don't know if that would fit your needs..
A google search would get you one for a few hundred euros (used one).
After some searching, I noticed on forums in other countries that it happened before. Just never heard of it being a common failure.
At least, we can say there are more salvage parts on the market from accident cars than inverters breaking down.
The inverter has its own cooling system by the way, and dedicated cooling pump + fluids.
Good luck !

Was left with little choice but to tell them to go ahead with the repair, part will have to be sent from Belgium.

[Sound of gate closing after horse has bolted].

I thought I'd read (Priuschat?) that there was a recall on 2010-ish era gen 3 Prius for an inverter water pump change some years ago. If the pump fails (it runs continuously normally, I think) then the inverter dies. Was there not also a software upgrade to give the inverter a reduced loading from about 2010/2011.

Is it possible similar era Auris should have required the same recalls/part replaced/code upgrades?  It would be interesting to know if this is relevant and if it was carried out. (Probably no help to the OP, though). 

19 minutes ago, Gerg said:

I thought I'd read (Priuschat?) that there was a recall on 2010-ish era gen 3 Prius for an inverter water pump change some years ago. If the pump fails (it runs continuously normally, I think) then the inverter dies. Was there not also a software upgrade to give the inverter a reduced loading from about 2010/2011.

The OP could use the Toyota recall checker in their country to see whether the car has any outstanding recalls due.

My Auris was first registered March 2011 and I have not been notified of any recalls to date.

Toyota have recall checkers on their websites in most European countries - which you can access to check whether your car has any outstanding recalls.

For example the UK one is https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker

I got my Auris back today with a new inverter in it and a big hole in my wallet, cost me €2520, it only has a 1 year warranty so I hope it lasts, all the money I thought I had saved on fuel economy has completely disappeared and my faith in Toyota reliability has took a bit of a hit, I was hoping to buy a new Auris next year, still might but will have to have a good think about it and figure in the extended warranty next time or get rid after 5 years. Anyway I'm off to Englands green and pleasant lands tomorrow:) BTW was impressed how quick Toyota fixed my Auris.

Very unlucky, it isn't a problem many have complained about. I did see one of the previous owners of my car had the car back to toyota for a check hybrid system, so hoping its not going to come back.

Sorry for you mate. Nobody wants a major bad luck with his car .. Hope it will serve you well for many years to come.

You reminded me to have a list of spare parts sellers ready just in case.

https://www.vehicle-recall.co.uk/recall/R/2015/152

Number: R/2015/152
Date: 2015-08-10
Concern: LOSS OF POWER
Defect: The inverter assembly may overheat which will cause warning lamps to illuminate and the vehicle to enter a fail safe mode. Fail safe allows the vehicle to be driven on reduced power to a place of safety. However it is possible for the hybrid system to shut down causing the vehicle to stop which increases the risk of a collision.

Just got back from the UK and drove around 1200 miles and the Auris was ok, I would like to try and check if my Auris should have had a recall although you would think that Toyota would have mentioned it when was being serviced by them, I bought the car from Toyoya here in Luxembourg and before going back to them if there was a recall I would like to have my own info and data first, the UK recall affected 24734 vehicles with numbers OE001002 to OE007337, my March 2011  Auris number is 0E022071 which doesn't match but I haven't been able to find any other recall checker for my Auris, just seems a bit of a coincidence that my inverter failure is exactly as described in the Uk recall.

PM your chassis number and I check if there are any recalls or campaigns outstanding or completed.

I thought I would finish this thread with thanking Devon Aygo who helped and found that there was no recall for this problem and also I'll add some info from the diagnostic report for anyone who may be interested, also thanks to everyone who also commented I do sincerely hope no else gets this problem or if they do that it is in warranty.

Fault finding and replacement DC / DC converter code default P0A94 - 557 code erase fault

Machine E inverter: Code P324E, Type Fault: sporadic

If this was the same issue that affected the Prius and was fixed, then I'd try and see if you can get Toyota to refund you.

Are the inverters the same between Prius and Auris?

• 2 years later...

I was driving on a busy motorway around London on a hot day and while accelerating, I got the same  "Check Hybrid System" message that Zetor mentioned. The car entered fail-safe mode (reduced power, petrol engine higher-pitched sound only) and I was lucky enough to reach a nearby Toyota Dealer. I left my car there and then they diagnosed it a couple of days later and said that the inverter failed and needs to be replaced. They found a lot of dirt and hair in the hybrid cooling fan which could have caused the overheating and failing of the inverter. I have been quoted around £1,500 (parts and labour). Having very limited options because the car is far from my home and I want to get it back after a week, I accepted it.

However, after all this my trust in Toyota's reliability and honesty took a hit. I had a hybrid health check at my local Toyota dealership done last September to make sure that the hybrid system works all right. But it was only a computer diagnostic check with everything green, no physical checks of the system.

Why did not they offer any Hybrid Service which would have cleaned the hybrid cooling fan? Why did not they let me know the risks of overheating?

My Auris has been recalled for a software update earlier this year. https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-55-000-hybrids-recalled-by-toyota-in-uk-11517888
I complied with it and had the car fixed. Otherwise my car might not have entered fail-safe mode when this overheating fault happened.
I feel like I am paying for something which could have been prevented easily. I have re-read the Toyota site again about Hybrid maintenance but it still says this: 
"Hybrid vehicles contain highly advanced technology, but that doesn’t make them more expensive to maintain. As with all our vehicles, regular Toyota maintenance is key. Hybrid engines need regular oil changes but no special servicing is required for the hybrid car Battery or hybrid system itself."

I feel like I am being scammed. Have you had anything like this happened to you before? What can I do in this case?

• Like 2

Hi, welcome to TOC. 🙂

Have you had the car since new? Presumably you don't have an Extended Warranty? Has it always been serviced at a Toyota dealer?

Thanks Heidfirst! Good to be here. 🙂

No, I am the third owner of it, although I bought it from a Toyota Dealership. It has not always been serviced at a Toyota dealer. I asked today the Toyota service if this cooler fan cleaning is part of either the intermediate or major services, but he said no, it is not.

If it was yours from new & particularly if it had a full dealer service history there might perhaps have been some chance of "goodwill" from Toyota. You could still try via Toyota GB Customer Service & see what they say but I suspect that they will say no (as goodwill hasn't been shown to them by keeping it within the dealer network).

It's certainly not something that appears to be common  but obviously not unheard of. Toyota are very risk averse & will recall/customer service campaign for things that most other manufacturers would not.