Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Petrol MPG

Mr Wolf

Have just completed a round trip from South East Essex to North Yorkshire and return. I am a careful driver and always have economy in mind when driving.

The journey was 90% motorway/dual carriageway driving and I travelled mainly at 60-65 mph with what could be described as a full load. I covered 542 miles on a tankful and the mpg reading showed 54.2 mpg when I arrived back home with one bar remaining on the fuel gauge. I haven't yet refilled but usually when I have one bar left I can get about 45 litres in the tank. The first leg up to Yorkshire took 6 hours with about an hour's break at Rutland Water and return journey much the same. This is the first long journey I've had in this car and must admit I was surprised at what economy can be achieved from this petrol engine.

I'd be interested in what sort of economy do others achieve?

• Like 3

Best I've managed is 59.9 from Manchester to Durham with three people and holiday luggage in, drove from Durham to Northampton and back just today with four adults and a boot full of kit for work today and managed 52.5 from a petrol too...theyre amazing engines; one of my passengers didn't believe it was a petrol!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I am averaging 36 mpg of mainly town driving. Where i live is hilly, so that does not help. Average 46 litres at fill up from one bar close to 400 miles. On longer journeys, The range goes further obviously. 

I get between 26-29mpg of mine but... I drive really short distances, like 2miles there and back so engine not even properly warmed up. And mine is a 1.8 with CVT.

Hovewer, driving from Manchester to Leeds and back I managed around 53mpg.

The old T25 1.8 used to get up mid-high 50's (probably because new oil needed every inch of driving lol) the T25 d4d is mid-high 60s using either millers eco max on both cars and  2 stroke oil in the d4d and high tyre pressure too.

• Like 2

Today's 63 mile commute....b7cfef19e2c760129211f633066d31be.jpg

• Like 3

There are some good economy figures being produced in this thread. The newer Avensis petrol engines seem better than older based on those figures.

My mk1 Avensis 1.8 (7-AFE) lean burn averages 40.

On long motorway and A road I have bettered 50mpg. I got 48mpg on my way down to Cornwall and 52mpg on the way back. I also got a 55mpg on a run to Surrey and back. The 50 mpg or more figures I had to work hard for. Lean burn economy light on as much as possible and steady 50 to 60mph sheltering behind lorries when possible.

Calculations done by filling up at fuel light coming on, noting mileage on till receipt and working out either separate tanks (Long runs) and long term averages based on approximately 2000 miles worth of fuel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thomjones83 said:

Today's 63 mile commute....b7cfef19e2c760129211f633066d31be.jpg

Yeah, before t27 I owned a 2007 T25 2.2 d4d and it would average around 60mpg on motorways doing 70mph with cruise control turned on. It would average around 45mpg driving round city and on short 2-3miles distances. I love my t27 (mostly because of cvt transmission) but I miss that mpg from my previous avensis, however due to me driving only short trips diesel was a no no for me... you know dpf, egr and things like this.

• Like 1

Here I found an old pic from a couple of years ago. Drive from Manchester to London. Cruise control on, sticking to speed limits. 4.6l/100km - 61mpg :ohmy::ohmy: Impossible to achieve with petrol engine

IMG_0260 (141).JPG

• Like 1

Following my trip to Yorkshire I filled up today so was able to do a brim to brim mpg check. This resulted in 52.2 compared to the 54.2 mpg indicated on car computer. I read somewhere that brim to brim mpg usually works out better, but not so in my case for some reason.

Like Matthew/Harri Carri I had to work hard to achieve the Mpg I did and his car is 19 years older than mine!

Thom's 60mpg is brilliant given that his car is 21 years older than mine!

Just shows what can be achieved even if it's often not done longer term.

I get about 36-38mpg in my stop/start daily use and can't do better.

Here I found an old pic from a couple of years ago. Drive from Manchester to London. Cruise control on, sticking to speed limits. 4.6l/100km - 61mpg ohmy.pngohmy.png Impossible to achieve with petrol engine

591ca0b5df0bf_IMG_0260(141).thumb.JPG.248fb37f8ae1684768fded96a9f951bb.JPG

I got 60mpg today from a petrol, and 59.9 on a run from Manchester to the north east with 3 people and a boot full of suitcases 1204b21121df7c4d2f70aad16374fe6a.jpg9764b4a83b0b0b30b07a47eb47c5559b.jpg

• Like 1

I have just had a look at my recent figures and I am pleasantly surprised. My averages used to be 38MPG in winter and 42MPG in summer hence my last post stating an average of 40MPG. I changed job last summer so my commute is now 10 miles of A roads and dual carriageway rather than half the journey being through built up area, plus I am doing a few more long journeys such as Nottinghamshire to Surrey and return 3 times a year.

So 3080 Miles using 301.11L / 66.324 Gallons of regular unleaded (usually Shell) giving 46.44MPG

Followed by:

2483 Miles using 249.07L / 54.86Gallons  of regular unleaded (usually Shell) giving 45.26

The current incomplete page of notebook:

1396 Miles using 145.46L / 32.0396 Gallons of regular unleaded (usually Shell) giving 43.57MPG

Averaging those 3 gives a total of 6959 Miles using 153.2236 Gallons giving 45.4MPG

I am happy with that.

Why do I do this?

Well, when I bought this Avensis nearly 5 years ago and I was sure it was using more fuel than the Carina e (with identical engine) it replaced, leaving me irritated. I started keeping records and filling up as near as possible at the same point so I could see if it was genuinely using more fuel. It was and it took a while to find out why. Getting the car up to standard with all the service items was done. As well as new leads, Mitchelin Energy tyres, vacuum switch linkage wired together and checked regularly and the dashboard economy light, bulb replaced. Made slight improvements but not enough. It turned out to be the exhaust system that was at fault. There was always a very slight blow from when I bought the car, which caused no problems for me or the MOT testers so left it from 141,000 miles to 156,000 when it became an issue and Failed MOT. The flange that joined the Cat to the centre section had rusted further. That was the source of the blow. New cat and centre section and hey presto 10% better fuel economy. Average rose from 37 to 40 and then broke 40 to average 42MPG in the warmer months and gave 38 in colder months regularly.

Now it is a habit and I am interested to see what is possible without being a nuisance, mobile chicane or driving 3 feet behind a lorry with an insane amount of air in each tyre.

• Like 1

In the first year of owning my petrol T25 i was getting 41-42 mpg, now the novelty of it has worn off and I drive it like its stolen it still gets 37.5. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well just managed that...56 litres of fuel and that mileage works out just over 48mpg on a mixture of country roads and the A1...4837c682eed72a886d2ee1d41f71e651.jpg

Just think Thom, if you'd driven just a little bit more careful you'd have achieved the magic 600 miles on one tank! Next time maybe?

If your tank has 60 litres capacity then you got quite close to emptying it. I would be worried about all the "dregs" that are probably swishing around in the bottom of the tank so usually fill up earlier.

• Like 1

Just out of interest for anyone who wishes to compare diesel mpg, I have owned a T4 2.0 Avensis Tourer from new (2010). Over that time (76,000 miles on clock) my cumulative mpg is 43.18 and the cumulative cost per mile is 13.53p. Now that I don't do many short journies, the cost per mile has reduced to circa 11.17p

The mpg has ranged from 32.93 to 55.81 depending on nature of journies. Lower mpg was normally the rush hour traffic in gridlock mid December whilst the best results were longer motorway journies (sometimes even with full load and roofbox).

These figures are below the Toyota advertised figures for this model, but overall I am well satisfied and regular use of redex additive does seem to help. The diesel I use is cheap ASDA/Tesco with an occasional Shell "treat"

Apologies for hijacking this "petrol" thread.

PS I would still buy another diesel even though HM Gov are now proposing to wage war on diesel owners

On 5/17/2017 at 8:14 PM, kierownik said:

Here I found an old pic from a couple of years ago. Drive from Manchester to London. Cruise control on, sticking to speed limits. 4.6l/100km - 61mpg :ohmy::ohmy: Impossible to achieve with petrol engine

IMG_0260 (141).JPG

Are you sure that is a petrol? The rev counter is only showing 6k (6000 rpm) as max, instead of the 8k as found in petrol. Plus the red line begins on or after 6k, ending at 8k!
The diesel ends at 6k. I Googled Toyota Avensis rev counters and showed images, or Thom's post which definitely shows the petrol rev counter as below:-

9764b4a83b0b0b30b07a47eb47c5559b.jpg

• Like 3

On 2017-5-17 at 8:14 PM, kierownik said:

Think that says that it's a photo of a diesel.

• Like 3

Just think Thom, if you'd driven just a little bit more careful you'd have achieved the magic 600 miles on one tank! Next time maybe?

If your tank has 60 litres capacity then you got quite close to emptying it. I would be worried about all the "dregs" that are probably swishing around in the bottom of the tank so usually fill up earlier.

I was tempted to keep going to the next petrol station!! Lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Think that says that it's a photo of a diesel.

Oops, well spotted! True, but when the subject is about petrol, the wording needs to be double clear, for example - this is my diesel by comparison. Anyway Thom's photo showing 60 mpg was well inside diesel territory. Considering that some 2.2l diesels hardly do 40 mpg let alone 50 mpg, that is amazing.
I may not get high economy, but I cannot complain.   

• Like 1

My 2011 CVT Tourer 1.8 Petrol is giving me roughly 45 MPG measured at the pump. This is 90% motorway trying my best to stick to 70mph with cruise control on. Excellent economy I would say. Very happy and the CVT helps a lot at lower speeds in traffic when a normal gearbox would be in say 3rd.

Hi, yes the picture I posted was from my old T25 2.2 d4d just to show what was possible to achieve on that car. Impossible to get anywhere near in my current 1.8 v-matic :(

• Like 1

Well beat my personal best!d9cca9fac023d1875ea1d0adc696ec57.jpg

20170307_155027.jpg

• Like 1

Oops mines a diesel :bangin::blink:

• Like 1