Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New shape avensis

Deakin

Hi guys anybody give me some advice here ?,does the new shape avensis 2.0 d4d have a fifth injector and are there any issues with the new shape car that that I should know about before i buy one.Thanks all

What age ?Which engine 2.0 Toyota or Later 2.0 BMW?

• Like 1

afaik a DPF (& hence an injector into it) was added to the UK Avensis 2.0 diesel ~September 2010.

They can have the same issues as any modern turbo-diesel e.g. egr, DPF, DMF etc. especially if used for short runs where they don't warm up fully or get to regenerate properly.

"unique to Avensis" issues: some develop cracking of the paint/skin in the front doors by the restrictor stay. some have EPB actuators fail (to be fair these seem very rare & are usually due to moisture ingress).

on manual trans. diesels 2nd gear in particular can be graunchy until the gearbox warms up. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

What age ?Which engine 2.0 Toyota or Later 2.0 BMW?

2016 Toyota 2.0 diesel sorry i didn't think the 2.0 was a BMW engine,i thought it was just the 1.6 diesel that had this

4 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

afaik a DPF (& hence an injector into it) was added to the UK Avensis 2.0 diesel ~September 2010.

They can have the same issues as any modern turbo-diesel e.g. egr, DPF, DMF etc. especially if used for short runs where they don't warm up fully or get to regenerate properly.

"unique to Avensis" issues: some develop cracking of the paint/skin in the front doors by the restrictor stay. some have EPB actuators fail (to be fair these seem very rare & are usually due to moisture ingress).

on manual trans. diesels 2nd gear in particular can be graunchy until the gearbox warms up. 

So are you telling me that it does have a fifth injector ?

I bought a 2016 excel 2.0D last year, so far very pleased with it. 5 warranty is reassuring. Check out Motorpoint where I bought mine, prices seem good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deakin said:

2016 Toyota 2.0 diesel sorry i didn't think the 2.0 was a BMW engine,i thought it was just the 1.6 diesel that had this

Checked and the 2.0 diesel is a BMW block (bore x stroke = 84 x 90 mm) with suitable modifications for Toyota use.

So are you telling me that it does have a fifth injector ?

Since all recent diesel engines are Euro 6 and have DPF, there has to be a Regeneration system to burn off the deposits from the DPF. Toyota chose the fifth injector system. 
If the car used the additive system like adblue, a tank would need to be fitted along with the associated hardware. With 20 mph roads and traffic calming becoming more common, the DPF will need more cleaning, hence more additive, or more diesel used. Fifth injector means, no need to worry about refilling the additive.   

• Like 1

The late 1AD 2.0 Toyota diesel from 11/2010 > 05/2015 is fitted with DPF cleared using diesel directly injected to the DPF on demand from a 5th injector, from 05/2015> the 2WW 2.0 BMW diesel has a DPF cleared with diesel supplied indirectly by the main injectors ( they inject diesel on demand on the exhaust stroke through the engine into the DPF ) neither car required fuel additives such as Eloys or Adblue

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The late 1AD 2.0 Toyota diesel from 11/2010 > 05/2015 is fitted with DPF cleared using diesel directly injected to the DPF on demand from a 5th injector, from 05/2015> the 2WW 2.0 BMW diesel has a DPF cleared with diesel supplied indirectly by the main injectors ( they inject diesel on demand on the exhaust stroke through the engine into the DPF ) neither car required fuel additives such as Eloys or Adblue

So these cars do have the fifth injector then,I have read about so many of these cars having problems

If you are looking at a 2016 as you said then, as Devon Aygo explained, no. The BMW-derived 2.0 D feeds fuel indirectly to the DPF via the main injectors.

Imo 5th injectors aren't highly problematic (at least on Toyotas) but DPFs have a limited lifespan which is variable according to how the vehicle is driven.

• Like 3

Thanks for all your replys im still not sure if if I will buy another Toyota,I have had bother with the electronic steering column,the central locking,and the air vents keep breaking but the thing that has bothered me most is the harsh drive over rough surface,and from what I can see Toyota have done nothing about the suspension.Other than this the car has been pretty bullet proof over the last 176000 miles.

1 hour ago, Deakin said:

Thanks for all your replys im still not sure if if I will buy another Toyota,I have had bother with the electronic steering column,the central locking,and the air vents keep breaking but the thing that has bothered me most is the harsh drive over rough surface,and from what I can see Toyota have done nothing about the suspension.Other than this the car has been pretty bullet proof over the last 176000 miles.

what year is your car?

I haven't had any problems with the steering column or air vents & afaik they don't appear to be a common issue .

In the latest (2015>) facelift the suspension apparently is noticeably improved over mine.

But at the end of the day it's an older design than the latest Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Insignia etc. (but probably more reliable)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

what year is your car?

I haven't had any problems with the steering column or air vents & afaik they don't appear to be a common issue .

In the latest (2015>) facelift the suspension apparently is noticeably improved over mine.

But at the end of the day it's an older design than the latest Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Insignia etc. (but probably more reliable)

Here is a question? How many mid 2000's Mondeo and Vectra/Insignia do you see on the road? Not many, and going further back, it would be even harder. When the motoring press were giving good ratings to Peugeot 405/406 as a drivers car, they did not look extreme long term. Where are most of these cars now? 

10 hours ago, Deakin said:

Deakin's statement seem a little contradictory, for a car which has cover more miles than most would never see. The electronic steering column fault is rare for the Avensis, the central locking can be trouble some, and the air vents can be replaced. The point is, no car is perfect and you could be lucky and get a good car or very unlucky and buy a very bad car. 

I have to admit that I have a bias for Toyota and have looked at Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda and Nissan. I have and will never own a diesel, but a hybrid is a possibility.

I hope Deakin buys a good car with no issues and nice to drive (Sounds like Audi Volkswagon group, BMW and Mercedes). Do the research and don't base it on an old design or past history. Honest John and the forums are good source of info. 

Good luck. 

14 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

what year is your car?

The car i have at the minute is a 2.0 T27 T2 D4D 4 door saloon.

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Here is a question? How many mid 2000's Mondeo and Vectra/Insignia do you see on the road? Not many, and going further back, it would be even harder. When the motoring press were giving good ratings to Peugeot 405/406 as a drivers car, they did not look extreme long term. Where are most of these cars now? 

Deakin's statement seem a little contradictory, for a car which has cover more miles than most would never see. The electronic steering column fault is rare for the Avensis, the central locking can be trouble some, and the air vents can be replaced. The point is, no car is perfect and you could be lucky and get a good car or very unlucky and buy a very bad car. 

I have to admit that I have a bias for Toyota and have looked at Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda and Nissan. I have and will never own a diesel, but a hybrid is a possibility.

I hope Deakin buys a good car with no issues and nice to drive (Sounds like Audi Volkswagon group, BMW and Mercedes). Do the research and don't base it on an old design or past history. Honest John and the forums are good source of info. 

Good luck. 

Just so you know Konrad i have had several Toyota's right back from the Carina,that's why i come on to the forum to find out what's going on with the new cars before I buy a new one as I'm sure quite a lot people do,what I will say is that it is only coming in as a 3 🌟 car now everybody can't be wrong can they ?

39 minutes ago, Deakin said:

The car i have at the minute is a 2.0 T27 T2 D4D 4 door saloon.

what year? still your 2010?

59 minutes ago, Deakin said:

what I will say is that it is only coming in as a 3 🌟 car now everybody can't be wrong can they ?

Yes, they can. e.g. Auto Express just did a group test of the VW Golf GTE, Prius  & KIA Niro plug-ins. They chose the Golf as the winner because it had the best performance/handling of the 3 despite having the worst economy/emissions of the 3 (surely why people buy plug-ins? :rolleyes:), nearly 10 mpg down on the Prius ... 

It depends upon your priorities. Apart from e.g. a GT86 you buy a Toyota because it is a safe, reliable, practical vehicle that is affordable to buy & run not because they are the best handling, most exciting cars or with the classiest interiors. An Avensis is a very solid car but it appeals to the mind rather than the heart. As one gets older (& especially if it is your money rather than a company's) you tend to become more interested in boring things like reliability - witness in the last week we have had Audi, VW, Mercedes users currently investigating changing to Toyota.

Sometimes little things like the Avensis' flat floor in the rear (due to lack of transmission tunnel) or rear seats that fold genuinely flat make all the difference to some people but no car is perfect for everybody's needs/wishes.

• Like 2

Yes thanks Heidfirst I tend to put quite a lot of my faith in Honest John and to be fair he's never that far wrong,as you all know from previous posts I have had my fair share of problems with some of my avensis cars, I was leaning more towards a new Skoda superb this time because of the sheer size factor I am a taxi driver and have been for the last 30 years so size does matter,but I keep saying to myself I know nothing about these cars I love the reliability of the avensis that's why it's so hard for the to make right choice.

Have you had a test drive in the latest Avensis facelift to see if the suspension has improved for your tastes? & have you test driven a Superb to compare?

As a taxi driver have you considered a hybrid Auris/Auris TS or a Prius?

What I usually do is draw up a large list  of potential contenders & then go through them ruling some out  for budget/dealer/unreliability (e.g. I still wouldn't touch a Mazda 6 diesel) etc. until I have a small no. of real contenders then test drive & see how the deals stack up. Sometimes, as I mentioned, seemingly little details can make a surprisingly big difference to you.

& sometimes better the devil you know ... :wink:

Took a drive in a Skoda superb Heidfirst have to say it drove like a dream even over the bumps, haven't tried the avensis yet as the ones I have seen are about £13000 with 36000 miles which I thought was a bit on the expensive side, superb was £14000 with 13500 miles but I will try the avensis and see how it drive's and take it from there.

Just so you know Konrad i have had several Toyota's right back from the Carina,that's why i come on to the forum to find out what's going on with the new cars before I buy a new one as I'm sure quite a lot people do,what I will say is that it is only coming in as a 3 🌟 car now everybody can't be wrong can they ?

Point taken Deakin. The Skoda is a good car with a huge capacity. My neighbour has one. The EPS can be troublesome as my sister-in-law is having issues with her '54 plate Micra. The car has to withstand use as a taxi. I have to say that I have noticed quite a few Auris TS hybrids as minicabs. I wonder what the drivers think about their cars? 

• Like 1

Toyota auris seems to be a bit on the small side i saw a couple when I was on holidays,that where being used as taxis but I didn't think they where wide enough,as for the EPS on a Skoda superb what has this to do with the Nissan Micra do they use the same power steering ?

• Like 1

Toyota auris seems to be a bit on the small side i saw a couple when I was on holidays,that where being used as taxis but I didn't think they where wide enough,as for the EPS on a Skoda superb what has this to do with the Nissan Micra do they use the same power steering ?

Regarding the Nissan Micra EPS, they can fail, and what happens is they are reset by deleting the codes with suitable diagnostic. Sometimes the fix is enough, but some fail again. Other times the EPS and steering column has to be changed, and the replacement re-coded. There are posts in the Nissan Micra forums. When you mentioned problem with the electronic steering column, I assumed you were having similar issues, which is rare for Avensis. The Micra is an older car design, plus most cars are using EPS over the old hydraulic systems. I read in the owners manual, that sometimes the system may temporarily shut down and show a warning light, during extreme use! I have never had that happen yet. 
Deakin, at the end of the day, you get the car that suits you.

• Like 1