Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil

Ivegotfivedoors

Hi all ,

I have a 09 Aygo  with 90 thousand  miles on the clock yesterday the oil light flickered on and off so I thought I would check the oil level  mmmmm  there was nothing registering on the dip stick I already had 2.5  litres of 5w 30 so I popped this in and the level now reads half full ,

Is it because it high mileage that the oil was so low as it had a full service 6 months ago

I have read on other forums that this is a common problem with the Aygo also I read of some one using a different thicker oil to solve this is there any truth to this?

Depends on a number of things.

Is there, or has there been, any oil underneath the car when you've parked it up? Is the sump of the engine wet at all?

How have you been driving the car? Have you been thrashing it or driving it like a granny? You do tend to burn oil when driving a car hard.

I think the engine's oil capacity is around 3.5 litres, so for it to be near empty in under 6 months would indicate (to me) of an oil leak. But that's based on assuming that the car had it's oil changed to the correct amount when the car was serviced to begin with.

No there are no leaks that I know of its parked on my drive and no oil anywhere and I don't drive the car hard I should have also mentioned  it an automatic model 

thanks

Hi You are using the correct oil, most of know that the oil level on these engines is hard to read. I check mine at least 2 times just to be sure. You say there was no leaks anywhere, that would indicate that the engine is burning some oil. Not surprisingly with that mileage. Mine is the same about 93,000. How often do you check the oil level? I do mine at least every 200 miles, it's a pain l know but only takes 5 minutes. I always carry half a litre of oil in the boot, with some paper and gloves. It's very tempting to put in a little bit too much to save checking next time, that is dangerous and can run your engine. If you do, it must be drained out before it's started.  Always check the oil level when you get it back from the person/Dealer that serviced your engine.

lf you find it's overfilled do not drive it.

• Like 1

I would fill the oil to the correct level and then monitor it like Kenny has suggested.

Yeah you will burn oil, but that amount of oil is excessive. So I think to fill it to the maximum required (overfilling is just as bad as underfilling - if worse) and keep an eye on it. I'd do this just to eliminate the possibility the garage didn't fill it to the required level in the first place.

Ok  I'll monitor the oil level and see how it goes............ I will post my findings on here ............Thanks

I did read on other web sites something about the piston ring sizes where manufactured wrong from day one on the Aygo and that someone used thicker oil and that that seemed to work ?

How long have you had the car?

I wouldn't imagine it happening out of the blue like this if you've had the car for a time before this issue and never noticed it?

I've had the car for about 3 years, it had about 54,000 on the clock when in bought it  . I've had to have the bearings in the gear box replaced about  8 months after I purchased it, that was nearly £700 at a Toyota dealer it's been ok since only noticed the oil usage about 3 months ago

still no oil dripping signs on my drive where it's parked every night  ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links