Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just having a moan - SR180

swanseaguy

Starting to get f***** off with my SR180 and road bumps now. Whether its the exhaust system being to low or something else I'm not sure, but going over road bumps can be a nightmare and quite often the belly is bashing them....especially when I have people in the back.

Started to hear rattling and crap now, so  looks like I'm going to have to jack the car up see if there is any damage.

Thinking about getting a new exhaust fitted to stop this from happening - anyone else been in the same boat?

I've never really had this problem... 

Is it a loose exhaust heat shield?

Are these road bumps the ones all the way across the road, of the squared off hump that a larger vehicle could straddle.

If the latter, then are you trying to straddle them and consequently the under car rubs against the top of the hump. If so, have you tried putting just one wheel on the hump and the other still on the road? Just a thought, as a friend has the SR180 and I never heard him complain of this problem.

I know this pain .... Rattle is probably a heat shield ... And it was my centre silencer that was giving me problems with grinding out 

I had a similar situation with my Auris when driving over a square bump with 5 adults in the car, but if no one is on the rear seat - it never happens.

:huh:

If it has grounded several times, check out the underside for damage. Other than that, no suggestions except maybe try and avoid the ramps causing the problem?

• 1 month later...

I have an SR180 but can't say I recall grounding it against a speed hump in the several months I've had it so far.

We had pretty much that problem with the wife's VW Golf recently. Horrible rattle over speed bumps - I checked the heat guard, the exhaust, the brakes, everything. I emptied out the boot space, no difference.

It turned out that both the rear springs had broken near the top. And my garage said this is becoming the most common source of rattles these days because of all the potholes. Fortunately not too expensive (£170 the pair), but it wouldn't normally be covered under a warranty because it's road damage.:sad: