Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable ABS

detox1978

Hi All,

I recently had some work done on my 57 reg Toyota Avensis D4d and now the ABS kicks in at very low speeds (below 5mph), it sounds like metal rotating against metal.

A couple of times the ABS light has comes on and the issue goes away.

I've booked the car back in on Thursday.  But to avoid any further damage I'd like to disable the ABS.  Is there a fuse I can remove to switch it off?

Many thanks

D

Check the engine bay fuse boxes. There is a label guide inside the lid of the fuse box, detailing the the job and location of each fuse.

I have read about a similar case where the ABS was faulty after the owner had some work ( I think wheel bearing) was changed. The said garage had problems with the bolt securing the sensor. They bored out and re-tapped the screw thread, install a different size bolt. This cause misalignment. I had the head of the bolt shear off, but manage to drill out the centre and unscrew the remnants, without damaging the screw thread. It is a case of going back to the garage or get someone else to look at the problem.  

Any idea which one is the abs?

20170528_133207.jpg

The VSC may be linked to the ABS, but I would not really advise pulling! The are a couple more fuse box locations in the cabin. If you have the owners manual, you can get details from that.

I would rather go back to the garage to get the actual problem rectified. 

Also if you use the paper clip method on the OBD socket, you can confirm the fault code stored, by counting the two number flashes of the ABS light. I know it has stored the code because you stated it came on. It will give you an idea where the fault is likely to be located.

List of codes on page 3 - http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/mr2 spyder/References/Technical Training/05 - Brake Systems/20.pdf

More info which may apply to Avensis - 

Link terminals 4 and 13 on the OBD socket and turn the key to IGN, but don't start the engine!  OBDII_Toyota.gif

Count the morse code style flashes on the ABS light. The sequence is X amounnt of flashes, pause the X amount of flashes, longer pause then repeat if only one fault or a different code will be flashed. After all codes have been flashed there will be a longer pause then repeat. 

To delete the fault codes after repair, again link the OBD pins 4 and 13, and turn on IGN. Whilst the ABS is flashing the codes, pump the brake pedal fast (5 - 8 times less than 3 seconds) then there should be a bleep and the ABS light will then flash quicker with no pauses. This is the only way to clear the ABS ECU without using a diagnostic scanner. Pulling the fuse (if found) or Battery terminal does not work!      

• Like 1

Check the video for other fuse box locations -

• Like 1

8 hours ago, detox1978 said:

But to avoid any further damage I'd like to disable the ABS.  Is there a fuse I can remove to switch it off?

Iirc it could be done via a switch? Check your manual.

Unfortunately I don't have the manual and can't find anything online about a switch.

iirc (I had a 57 plate previously) it's the same switch for TRC, VSC & ABS - just how many times you press it?

9 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Iirc it could be done via a switch? Check your manual.

I thought that only the TRC and VSC can only be cancelled, not the ABS system. I also read in my handbook (T27 but applies to older models) that same size tyres and correct inflation also helps.

More seasrching -